Fondant / Whimsical Help Needed

Decorating By Amylou Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 7:49pm by mamacc

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 10

I am attempting a 3-tier whimsical cake...so glad I am doing a trial before the real thing! I am doing the method from BKeith's tutorial and am definitely learning some things. Anyways...

When attaching the fondant (MF), I am having a hard time smoothing down the sides because of the tapering of the bottom of the cake. I do have the cakes resting so that the bottom is not sitting on anything (ie the fondant can hang down straight. I am cutting off the excess and then smoothing down, but still have so many pleats to work with because the bottom diameter is smaller than the top. Any tips?

Would it work, if ... (big IF here)... I were to turn the cake upside down (for the 2 bottom tiers) to attach the fondant, so that the fondant smooths down the larger end, let set to attach, then turn over to smooth into the "hole" on top? (Since the hole will be covered with the next cake anyways). Then turn over again to set. Will the fondant pull down when the cake is right side up?

So glad this is the "rough draft" cake!

9 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 10

i don't have the answer for you, but just want to say you are courageous!!! i attempted them topsy turvys and wanted to pull my hair out! icon_lol.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 10

I'm still learning these techniques, too, but the trick is to gently - very gently - pull the fondant away from the bottom and gently ease the fondant down the sides with your hand. It will stretch slightly and smooth out like a fabric cut on the bias - if you sew, you'll know what I mean. You may have to lift each section out several times, so be very gentle. I would not attempt to turn the tiers upside down. The way I read it, that would involve smoothing down yet another side, taking the wide outside edge over into the smaller hole on top after it has had a few minutes to dry out. Not easy. But, maybe I misinterpreted your plan icon_lol.gif

Burgess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burgess Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:31am
post #4 of 10

I, too, attempted a topsy-turvy cake following BKeith's
instructions. Please note he says nothing about dowel
rods or any other kind of support. Believe me, you're
gonna need them!!! Good luck!

bkeith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkeith Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

I, too, attempted a topsy-turvy cake following BKeith's
instructions. Please note he says nothing about dowel
rods or any other kind of support. Believe me, you're
gonna need them!!! Good luck!

Look again. There's a whole section in the article on support using the SPS system from Bakery Crafts. That's what I use the battery-powered circular saw for.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith

Look again. There's a whole section in the article on support using the SPS system from Bakery Crafts. That's what I use the battery-powered circular saw for.

They were good instructions, thanks keith. I noticed you using the power saw, thought it would be a great excuse for power tools! icon_lol.gif I think I need to get the SPS or at least plastic dowels for lower tiers (for all tiered cakes) because my delivery of my topsy-turvy didn't go well last weekend. It was just for friends/family so no big deal but for the next time...better safe than sorry!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 10

I DO TOPSY TURVYS ALL THE TIME...I DO LEVEL THE INSIDE OF MY CAKE BUT I NEVER PUT PLATES IN BETWEEN...I JUST PUT DOWELS RODS JUST LIKE YOUR TYPICAL CAKE ...IS ALREADY STRAIGHT INSIDE...SO ...IT HOLDS UP WELL..
LL

Burgess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burgess Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 10

Sorry--I owe you an apology for not printing all the
instructions!! Thanks for taking the time to help.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 10

You might have your fondant rolled out a bit to thin. I've found that when it's to thin, I get lots of pleats. It seems to be easier to smoothe out when it's thicker.

I'm also fond of doing topsy turvy cakes and I do the same as tonedna - I just dowel it like any stacked cake - no plate system. I do, however use foam core board instead of cardboard that the cake sits on.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 10

Me too, I dowel like a normal cake along with central dowel(s).

Pretty cake Tonedna!

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%