Consistency Of Mmf

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 3:52am by SweetResults

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 9

I just cant seem to get MMf right its either too sticky and I add a little pwd sugar but it still gets recked or its too dry. Either way It just doesnt' seem right. I got the recipe of this site.

Any tips would help tons please.

Thank you

8 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 9

...it gets better each time ya make it....at least it did with me. If mine is sticky, I add powdered sugar. Don't add all of the powdered sugar it calls for....just a little at a time and keep mixing it. You will probably end up not using all of the sugar it calls for.
icon_wink.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 9

Maybe you could try adding a little Crisco, and knead it in. You don't want to have the MMF dry, so go easy on the added sugar. Good Luck!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 9

I had the same problem with mine. It just keeps tearing and splitting. I put less sugar, more sugar, less crisco, more crisco. I could use some help too. I would love to use it instead since it tastes sooooo much better and is soooooo much cheaper. Wilton Fondant is killing profits!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 9

I've had MMF slight dry, drier than I liked, so I added a few drops of water and kneaded that in. You need to add anything a drop or two at a time. Don't give up, it really isn't that hard to find the correct consistency.

zanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zanne Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 9

I'm havign teh same problem, ironically I was gonna post for help about the same thing!!! lol! I made mmf the first time for a holloween cake and it almost borke my machine!!!!! it was tooooooo soft, then too hard and i had a heck of a hard time rolling it out, and it was stickign to everything!!! but any harder and I would haev had a brick! I got teh recipe off here, it had the highest score. Any suggestions, or a better recipe?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:20am
post #7 of 9

The first few times I made it I used my machine. After almost killing it I decided to do it by hand. I have found out that its almost easier because you can tell where your at with the consistency when doing it by hand. Dont give up people! It really does get easier with time. Ya just gotta keep messing with it. A little more crisco, powdered sugar, water....different things work for different people. Just done give up...its soooo fabulous for covering cakes!!!!
icon_wink.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:29am
post #8 of 9

Make sure your bag of marshmallows is 16 oz and not 10oz - the first time I made MMF is was horrible but then I realized that not all bags of marshmallows are 16 oz. The other thing I do is grease the bowls with crisco and then my countertop where I will kneed the fondant as well as my hands - it works like a charm. I still have not been able to add then entire 2 lbs of sugar. Hope it helps.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:52am
post #9 of 9

I bought a kitchen scale to get 16oz of marshmallows since they DO NOT sell 16oz bags in New England, only 10oz. Then just add the sugar a bit at a time and finish off by hand. Grease your hands and work space with Crisco so it does not stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%