Yay! New Idea.... New To Me Anyway!

Decorating By nikki1201 Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 7:01am by Hollyanna70

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #1 of 23

So, I offered to make a birthday cake for a party this past weekend and when I finished baking it, layered it with a strawberry filling and crumb coated it, came back and frosted the thing, and everything was going well... Then I went to my "tool" drawer and found I was out of disposable decorating bags. Not pleased, I sucked it up and filled up my little icing contraption that looks like a cookie press, but came with its own set of tips, none of which were small enough for the writing. Plus i just hate using that thing, as it is a real pain in the rear and i only have one so there's a lot of work between each color....blah blah blah. I was desperate and filled up one of those decorator bottles that i only bought because they were on sale at michaels and had never used them before. Still to large of an opening for decent writing, so on a hunch, I unscrewed the cap and tried a good #2 tip with the ring from a coupler and it held it perfectly! I was able to fill 4 different bottles with different colors and it saved my day! I'm not giving up on the bags but I was just so excited that it fit that I just had to share! Plus, i was able to put the original top back on the bottles, which have a little red cap for the end to kep them sealed nice and tight. I put em in the fridge and they're still perfect, so no more wasting! I can't wait until the next batch of sugar cookies... I've been wanting to try Antonia74's royal Icing, so i might make it in a ton of colors and fill up all my bottles! Maybe i'm getting a bit overzealous... icon_wink.gif

*a box of 18 bottles was only about $10... it was too good a deal to passs up. I'm just glad to have a use for them now!

22 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:34am
post #2 of 23

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Don't forget to use a coupon to get even more off!
Jibbies

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:34am
post #3 of 23

Wow, that's a GREAT idea - never would have thought of it! Thanks for sharing nikki!!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:34am
post #4 of 23

Wow! That's new to me,too. Great for using and saving the royals thumbs_up.gif

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #5 of 23

What a great tip

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:43am
post #6 of 23

I love this place! When I ran into the living room to show the BF how *awesome* this was he was like... "And...?" I don't even want to go back to work tomorrow... I could just be on here forever! There is so much i want to learn, and everyone is so supportive! yippee!

On thing about the bottles... I had a few air bubbles but if you just SMACK the bottom of it really hard every once in a while, it keeps the frosting where ya need it!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:59am
post #7 of 23

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

so, just smack it like a ketchup bottle to burp it?

I've never seen the bottles, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled next time I go to Michaels! Are the bottles with the cake decorating stuff?

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:05am
post #8 of 23

That's awesome! I, too, have bottles that I bought for doing chocolate transfers but cleaning the chocolate out of them was too much of a pain so I haven't used them. But, using them for cookies or with icing is a fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to go dust mine off.

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:07am
post #9 of 23

Yes, they were on the bottom row in a big round plastic container, right under the bags. Since i used a metal tip, i had to smack the bottom, just like you said "burp the ketchup bottle" but i think if you were using a plastic tip, you could bang it tip-side-down, like they do to the mayo at Subway! Can't wait to but more with my 40percent off coupon! I wonder if I canfind bigger ones? The size i have was a bit small for the amount of buttercream i decorated the cake with....had to refill one of the colors.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:10am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

That's awesome! I, too, have bottles that I bought for doing chocolate transfers but cleaning the chocolate out of them was too much of a pain so I haven't used them. But, using them for cookies or with icing is a fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to go dust mine off.

omg, I HATE cleaning chocolate out of those things but I am so excited for the next time I make cookies too!!! What a great idea.

BTW-I love this place too. It's a wonder I get any housework done icon_lol.gif

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:10am
post #11 of 23
Quote:

actually cleaned one of them out and it went okay... just filled with hot water and soap and let it sit for a while. But then again, PS based stuff practically dissolves in water. chocolate probably would be more difficult.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:28am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

you get housework done???

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:39am
post #13 of 23

Okay, so am I dense or what?@! icon_cry.gif I have those little plastic bottles and none of my couplers fit the screw top? So what coupler did you use? I went running into my kitchen!! icon_lol.gif

Now, they fit on those fancy-plastic decorator/cookie tube makers you were talking about. But I think you are talking about the plastic bottle. Short of putting a pix out here on this site or PM'ing me, ....what the heck you talking about, girl!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:42am
post #14 of 23
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

you get housework done???

Housework?

You mean like baking cakes in the house and decorating them??!? icon_wink.gif

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:02am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Okay, so am I dense or what?@! icon_cry.gif I have those little plastic bottles and none of my couplers fit the screw top? So what coupler did you use? I went running into my kitchen!! icon_lol.gif

Now, they fit on those fancy-plastic decorator/cookie tube makers you were talking about. But I think you are talking about the plastic bottle. Short of putting a pix out here on this site or PM'ing me, ....what the heck you talking about, girl!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

maybe different brands are a little off in their sizes.. let me go check...

don't know why i got up and looked, it's not like there's a brand name printed on the coupler! lol...

But all my stuff came from Michaels. The coupler is just a ring, if that helps at all.

GI Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:11am
post #16 of 23

All my stuff is either Michaels or Walmart, but nonetheless "Wilton" brand. I'll just have to make a run to Michaels icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Gives me a GREAT excuse!

I like this idea cuz I'm a tad laaaazy when it comes to switchin' colors!!! Once I get the colors in the bags, etc., then I get on a roll...it's just getting to that point!

Also, am really more of a cookie person. And this would be fun to try with the cookies.

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:12am
post #17 of 23

Ok here's a pic:

(glad I got up to get the camera, because i found a picture of a cake on ther from last week i had forgotten about! I'll be adding that in a minute!)

Hope this helps!
LL

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:25am
post #18 of 23

as for cleaning the last bit of chocolate out of those little bottles...I think you can put them in the freezer and then the chocolate will break and fall from the sides. I've never tried this....I just think I read it somewhere. HTH!

GI Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:26am
post #19 of 23

Aaack!! Yessss! I've got those around here somewhere!! And you are so right in they are a pain in the patutee for filling up!! That's probably why I put them outta my sight!!

Okay, we are good to go! thumbs_up.gif

Ooops, forgot to say 'CAN'T WAY TO TRY THEM!!' icon_biggrin.gif

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:30am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

And you are so right in they are a pain in the patutee for filling up!!

funnel maybe? seems like more work, but if i can get it somewhere i can store it, it's worth it! I've had ziploc bags full of decorating bags full of glace... this will be so much less cluttered! I wonder how long antonia74's royal icing lasts.... that's what i want to try next.

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:49am
post #21 of 23

so...can you put royal icing in a plastic container? I didn't think you could. This is a great tip and I'm dying to try it! I've got to go and get those little bottles!

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:32am
post #22 of 23

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:01am
post #23 of 23
Quote:

If you pour all the chocolate out of the bottle, then just sit the bottle in the refrigerator it will harden on the sides. Take the bottle out, and squeeze it in your hands. The chocolate will just pop right off the sides and you can shake it out, even remelt it if you need to. There might be a speck or two left here and there, but you can usually melt that off with hot water, then just wash normally.

Hope this helps. I'm off to see if my couplers will fit my chocolate bottles now. icon_biggrin.gif

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%