Sugar Free Cake And Frosting Recipe

Baking By firegal79 Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm by berryblondeboys

firegal79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firegal79 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:46am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a cake for my grandmother's birthday and she is a diabetic. I am looking for a great tasting sugar free cake and frosting recipe. The last one I did didn't turn out so great. Please help. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:16am
post #2 of 4

Have you tried the new Pillsbury cake mix and frosting made with Splenda? It is really good.

tara1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara1970 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 4

My aunt is also diabetic. I take my normal recipe (any flavor) and replace the sugar with splenda.For the frosting... I take the splenda put it in my food processer untill it is powered and it works out great!She also has a few other med probs so, I replace the eggs with egg beaters and you can not even tell the differance.

Hope this helps
Tara

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 4

I'm not trying to be rude or provoke anything, I'm just curious really. Now, I know everyone is different, but.... are diabetics supposed to eat cake AT ALL? I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and white flour is basically a simple sugar to the body. I oculdn't even eat whole grain bread without raising my sugar levels (I was controling sugar without insulin). So, replacing sugar is only half the issue.

I know people like their sweets, but maybe isn't it better to just find a DIFFERENT thing than American white cake??? Even angel food is probably better.

Hmmm... got me thinking, there are plenty of cake recipes out there that use ground nuts and eggs as the main ingredient (with sugar) for cakes. I have several recipes where there is only one tbsp. of flour for the WHOLE cake...

I guess with learning about food that substituting ingredients sometimes just results in "icky" flavors whereas doing something different actually has a better result...

any diabetics wish to voice their opinion... I'm just a little confused by the repeated no sugar request... it's just not that simple to me.

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%