Cake Balls!

Decorating By chocomama Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 2:14am by chocomama

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 19

O-M-G! They are heavenly!!! I made them for the first time this week and LOVE them!!! I used an orange cake for some and added almonds - YUM! And others I used dark chocolate cake and covered them with dark chocolate and they almost tasted like truffles!! FANFREAKINTASTIC!

Btw, for those who have made them before, do they ever get totally dry? I wonder if I added too much liquid.

Oh, and I used vanilla nut coffee creamer but can't wait to add the new flavor I saw - chocolate mint! thumbs_up.gif

18 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 19

My friends call them HOHO Balls-Lilke the hostess kind but better!

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 19

I have got to try these things! Is it wrong to bake a cake just to make cake balls? I might have to try that tonight. I'm starving, I haven't had lunch yet!

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 19

badgerang - I have made roughly 8 cakes in the past 3 weeks JUST FOR CAKE BALLS!!! I will be doing the same for the next several weeks as I will be making them for xmas gifts and also have a couple of orders for them to fill!!!

They are HEAVENLY!!! I am having fun coming up with all different flavor combinations..specially for the holidays!!

Like the HOHO Balls name...might have to use that one!! (specially at this time of the year!)

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 19

Hey let's get all festive and reel em in and call them ornaments for christmas!!!

SUGARMAMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUGARMAMA Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 19

I have a white cake in the freezer I could use for this. Any suggestions for ingredients ?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 19

I am going to try angel food cake with a squirt of some whip frosting mixed with berries in the middle and dipped in white chocolate...stop ur droolin.

sarahnichole975 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 19

I'm such a dork! Ho Ho balls....duh....I just got it!!! Santa goes "ho ho ho!" Dee dee dee!

moydear77 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

I'm such a dork! Ho Ho balls....duh....I just got it!!! Santa goes "ho ho ho!" Dee dee dee!

Like Hostess hoho's--Cream and chocolate cake.

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerang

I have got to try these things! Is it wrong to bake a cake just to make cake balls? I might have to try that tonight. I'm starving, I haven't had lunch yet!

the first time I made cake balls I got up off the computer, got dressed and ran tot eh store just to buy a mix to bake a cake for cake ball! So my answer to you is, in no way is that worng!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 19

Can you use Cream cheese icing to dip these in or will that not get hard enough? Thanks!

lilsis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 19

Sugarmama...with a white cake I would go with....ANYTHING!! LOL love vanilla caramel creamer...added the powder to the cake mix before baking THEN added the liquid when mixing the baked cake. YUMMY!!!!

lilsis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 19

sorry Dana-- haven't tried the cream cheese icing yet...think it would be good with a spice cake tho!

moydear77 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 19

I mixed cream cheese icing in Red Velvet Cake to make cake balls.

Jodiedew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiedew Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 19

They are so good, aren't they?! My one problem is dipping them--I can't get the chocolate to be smooth and even. I end up with lots of yummy tasting but very funny looking cake blobs!

sarahnichole975 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

Like Hostess hoho's--Cream and chocolate cake.

Yeah I know about the hostess cakes, but lilsis made the comment "Like the HOHO Balls name...might have to use that one!! (specially at this time of the year!)" And it took me a sec to get what she meant. Or I guess that's it. icon_smile.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiedew

They are so good, aren't they?! My one problem is dipping them--I can't get the chocolate to be smooth and even. I end up with lots of yummy tasting but very funny looking cake blobs!

Have you ever tried adding a little bit of wax to the chocolate? I know...it sounds gross as all get out, but you use a little bit of wax (in the grocery store where they sell the canning goods). Put some shavings in until it is smooth again. I got this idea to do this with cake balls from a recipe for buckeyes (peanut butter candy coated in chocolate that is real popular here in the buckeye state of Ohio). I just did it for some cake balls I made over the weekend and it worked pretty well for me and it doesn't change the taste of the chocolate. I think it is just hard to get past the idea you are eating wax!!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:33pm
post #18 of 19

You all are ball crazy! LOL. I have so many screwed up cake layers in my freezer that I will use for cake balls to give away.....I hate these things! Grrrrr....I know I'm the crazy one. I took them into work....gone in 2 minutes. Made them for home.....gone in 2 minutes. I think I'm the only one on CC that doesn't care for them because they are way too sweet. Sorry everyone, but I laugh when I read about the stories of people sneaking them in the middle of the night; hiding them from family members;etc. You guys all make me laugh. Keep up with the cake ball obsessions! I love it!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:14am
post #19 of 19

Ho Hos! That's exactly what DH said they tasted like!

Oh, and instead of wax you could use a little shortening in the chocolate. It'll smooth and thin the chocolate and make it shiny. Just don't use too much or it'll take forever to dry. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%