Can I Freeze A Fondant-Covered Cake??

Decorating By mrsxmiaxwallce Updated 3 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm by keriskreations

mrsxmiaxwallce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsxmiaxwallce Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #1 of 3

This is probably a 101 question, but I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to working with fondant.
I have to make two cakes, one for Friday and one for Saturday, and they're both pretty intricate. Is it possibly to freeze a cake that is already completely covered and decorated in fondant and royal icing? Once it thaws, is my icing going to run or the fondant going to get wet or anything? They're doll cakes for a church bake-sale, so it probably wouldn't do for their dresses to be dropping off! ~(:

2 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

If you cover your cake in fondant and you have just regular bc filling or icing underneath it should be okay out in a cool place maybe in a box. I wouldn't freeze them. After you get them out of the freezer everything will be thawing and it could take hours for the condensation to go away. and yes, you could then have droopy dresses.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 3

I have never frozen cakes with icing on it, be it buttercream or fondant. I freeze my cakes in plastic wrap, and then start decorating them when they are frozen - much easier to work with in my opinion. Hopefully you'll get some better answers than mine. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%