Work For Someone Or For Yourself?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 11:13pm by andrea7

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:43am
post #1 of 8

Right now I bake out of my home just by word of mouth. I don't have a whole lot of business... maybe 1-2 cakes per weekend but then sometimes not anything. I also work 2 days/week at a caterers in the pastry dept making mostly wedding cakes. They don't care if I use the pictures of the cakes I make there, etc for myself since their priority is not necessarily their bakery department.

I have high doubts that I will ever be able to financially work it out to where I am running my own business. I am starting to wonder if I should find a very talented cake decorator who does own their own business and try to work under them? I did see a really cool place locally that is hiring, and contacted them, but am not sure if I will be able to get in with them right now due to other commitments, the biggest one being my current p/t job and my schedule with my young children.

I guess my question is.... will going to work for someone put a cap on any creativity or goals I have? I mean... will it be as rewarding? If I don't think I'll be able to ever have my own legal business, should I just try to find someone to work for that has a specialty cake shop? Have any of you made this decision? Any thoughts? I've been decorating now for about 7 years. I definately have alot more to learn although I think I might finally have enough experience to have a shot at possibly being hired on at a fancier sort of bakery. What do you think?

7 replies
donvi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donvi Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:12am
post #2 of 8

I don't think I have the answer you may be looking for but if your REAL passion is in your cakes (which by the looks of it you are very gifted) I wouldn't rule out the capabilities of owning your own business. You have to start somewhere maybe a fixer upper. I made "friends" through my sampling and there are people with helping hands willing to point you in the right direction. Don't give Up. . . . icon_wink.gif

donvi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donvi Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #3 of 8

I don't think I have the answer you may be looking for but if your REAL passion is in your cakes (which by the looks of it you are very gifted) I wouldn't rule out the capabilities of owning your own business. You have to start somewhere maybe a fixer upper. I made "friends" through my sampling and there are people with helping hands willing to point you in the right direction. Don't give Up. . . . icon_wink.gif

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:18am
post #4 of 8

you are going through the exact same thing i went through. i have three kids and wanted to work for myself but was working for a catering company doing their cakes. I guess i just lucked out and started to get busy with my own and was able to quit the catering company. hopefully this happens to you too! as far as working in an upscale shop, your cakes are awesome. i think you should have no problem getting a job anywhere! thumbs_up.gif

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:20am
post #5 of 8

I would never give up the dream to work for myself just takes some time good luck

Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:22am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the replies so far!

I get great reports about my cakes but somehow my business does not seem to be getting much busier. Don't know if its pricing or what. I don't really advertise much at all because of licensing.

Also my dh is a pastor and we live in a parsonage so that rules out making part of the house into a licensed kitchen. Also because of this I don't think I will be able to afford to take the risk of investing in a business. At least not for awhile....

I guess I'll just take it a day at a time eh? icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

Hmmm just saw the thread about PA home bakery easy to start if not selling perishables... I had read about it before but was unsure. I'm thinking I might take the plunge since its not expensive.... hmmm.... that would help me be able to advertise in bridal shops and etc which I don't do now.

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 8

I have been decorating cakes for 17 years now. There just came a time when I hated cakes because it was the same old crap. I decided to go on my own two years ago. I just counted this years weddings and I have a total of 135 for the year! YAH!!! I'm shocked! Anyhow I only make wedding cakes (that's where the money is). My only advertising is the Knot.com online. I don't do bridal shows either. I have projected myself as a different cake decorator with a different product that the bakeries of our city. I am very passionate about my cakes and my style of cakes are fun and different. I've always been different and that's my knitch. You just have to figure out what you want and how to get it. Word of mouth is awesome and I give out referal bonuses for my brides. If you need help i'm full of ideas. Good luck to you!!!!!

Andrea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%