Could I Have An Opinion Please....

Decorating By kathik Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 7:19am by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:08am
post #1 of 23

I am working on a design for a Bar Mitzvah cake. The portion describes the High Priest's garments. The cake can be pretty large because there needs to be cake for about 300. I am trying to decide if I want to make long "sheet cakes" shaped or draped with the garments or if I want to make a stand up version of the High Priest at the altar (which is also described in the portion). I want it to be big enough that I can do some detail on the breastplate, etc.

Here is a photo of the garments the Temple Institute has recreated, including one of the detail of the stones I want to replicate and a link to a cake made of the High Priest (a different style and smaller than I would do, but gives you an idea).

Let me know what you think.
Kathi

http://www.gemsbysarelle.com/cake012.htm
LL
LL

22 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:30am
post #2 of 23

I think the 3D stand up of the High Priest would be impressive and memorable. thumbs_up.gif

Can't wait to see photos. icon_smile.gif

kathik Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:37am
post #3 of 23

Anyone else? And, if I'm going to make a standup version, can anyone recommend a male doll bigger than a ken that doesn't look....well, dorky! I hate the mannequin in the above picture!! icon_redface.gif Do they make a large Ken or GI Joe (he's still around, isn't he?)?

Thanks,
Kathi

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 23

Sorry I don't know about the dolls.

Using those patterns & colors on a tiered cake would look really cool! Like, instead of putting the actual garments on an actual doll cake, make the stones go around the top tier of the cake, and then drape fondant over the bottom tiers in a way that looks like the rest of the garments.

kathik Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 23

What a neat idea, albumangel! That never even occured to me. I think I'll try to draw that idea today and see what I think!!

Any other ideas anyone??

Thanks,
Kathi

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 23

I don't have any input about your cake but thanks for the link to Sarelle's website. What impressive work she does! Wow!

kathik Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 23

CarolAnn, you're right, she's fantastic. She really inspires me to improve my skills!

Okay, here is a sketch I made of a 5 tiered cake. I'd love some feedback about what you think. Also, I have 3 specific questions.

1. How can I add the white sleeves in without destroying the clean lines?

2. I was thinking of doing this as an "offset" style (I think that's the name), where all the cakes are flat towards the front. Do you think this will look stupid?

3. The drawing has a 14" as the bottom tier, but I don't know if I really want that one to be bigger than the one right above it, because I don't really want the robe and "apron" parts to fan out so much. Do you think it would look better with 12" on 12", and is it a problem to stack two cakes of the same size?

Thanks,
Kathi
LL

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 23

I like the idea of the tiers but the bottom layer makes it look more like a wedding cake. I think you should go a bit smaller on it if the rest of the cake will be supported ok (foam board in between the layers?).

kathik Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 23

I plan to support this with dowels just like a wedding cake, but I really think I would like the bottom tier to be the same size as the second to the bottom, kind of like this:

I could also make the second and third tiers the same size if it would look better.
LL

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 23

I think that will look much better. Can't wait to see the finished cake!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 23

I really like your sketches. Can't wait to see your final product.

You do great work.

Good Luck

kathik Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 23

Okay, so does anyone have any thoughts on the first two questions?

2. I was thinking of doing this as an "offset" style (I think that's the name), where all the cakes are flat towards the front. Do you think this will look stupid?

I appreciate all the help!

Kathi

CarolAnn Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 23

Hi Kathy,
I do think it would look better if you went with 2 - 12" layers on the bottom, and I think for this cake the reverse offset (flat/together in the front) would be fine. Sure it'll be different but this is a different cake too. I guess I don't understand what you mean about the sleeves messing up the clean lines. Are you going to have sleeves extending down the front of this cake, like a shawl or something? I'm really getting interested in this cake now! You are so creative.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 23

Sorry, I'm not a design person but can't wait to see that cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

I preper the "interpretive" design of the cake as you've drawn it above. Rather than making it look exactly like the garments complete with sleeves, you've used the elements, colors, and patterns to design a very unique, creative cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

I think offset will look cool- but maybe leave a "ledge" in front of some of the tiers, where the design changes, like under the breastplate.

It's going to be awesome!

kathik Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 23

CarolAnn, I was trying to figure out if I should put the sleeves on the cake somehow, but, I'm not sure if adding the sleeves would look weird. Basically, I'm looking at the photo of the clothes above (and a couple of other interpretations) and wondering if I should figure out how to do the sleeves. DH thinks they are such a minor part that I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm still trying to decide about the offset part. My daughter thinks the breastplate might be too heavy and need to rest against the edge of the fourth cake. I think she might be right since I plan on molding the gems from hard candy. I'm building a model with my pans and other miscellaneous stuff icon_rolleyes.gif to see what I think.

Any input on the sleeve issue would be nice, though!

Kathi

CarolAnn Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 23

Kathi, If the sleeves are that minor maybe you could just leave them off. I mean if you're not making the whole preist but don't want it to look like a shirt with a breast plate you could fore go the sleeves, no? If the breast plate is going to be very heavy maybe you ought to have some space on the bottom tier for it to rest on. Then you'd have to rethink the size of your layers for the bottom two. If you were considering doing them both 12".

Gee, I'm glad is you and not me doing this. Okay, that's ridiculous because I could do what you do, but I'll be anxious to see your finished project. It's so interesting knowing what you're about to do then waiting to see it completed.

Waiting with interest,
Carol

moshiachnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moshiachnow Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #18 of 23

I agree, that if you're not doing the whole Kohen Gadol (head, etc.) then the sleeves aren't necessary.

Though you'd be missing out on the turban and tzitz (sorry, don't know the translation icon_redface.gif ) if you omit the head.

You can still put the cake on a sheet cake, and put an altar next to him. What Parsha is it? Probably one of the ones that I could never figure out what to do with!icon_rolleyes.gif You're really planning way in advance!

kathik Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:22pm
post #19 of 23

I was planning on using the top small tier for the turban and "crown". The parsha is Tetzaveh. Someone mentioned that they thought the Kohen Gadol's clothing was laid out for him, so now I'm not sure if I want to do the tiered idea. I'm still trying to figure it out. detective.gif

As for working ahead, I really need to since the family wants me to do two cakes (two receptions both about 300 people expected). I need time to practice any new skills and order special materials, since specialty kosher items are hard to find in Raleigh! Also, the mom is feeling very stressed about the planning, so if I can show her that some things are in the works (at least planning) I think it will help to calm her nerves.

Kathi

moshiachnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moshiachnow Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 5:09am
post #20 of 23

I looked it up. Almost every garment it describes, it describes it as being on Aharon, so I think you should have the actual Kohen Gadol in the clothes.

This will give you a lot more work, but what if you do Aharon and his sons as doll cakes on top of a big sheet cake, and they can be standing by the mizbayach?

Now I know that if I want a Parsha cake idea, I should ask you - 4 months in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 5:24am
post #21 of 23

I can't offer much of a suggestion at the moment, but you are on the right track to a very impressive show piece.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 5:56am
post #22 of 23

kathi, i like the idea of the more interpretive tiered design. sometimes with cake. you just cant add every detail. rather than sleeves. i had thought of leaving the top tier white (interpretively). then saw that you were going to use that for the turban. i lovae the turban idea. you can use strips of fondant horizontally wrapped around the tier. this is a little different, but perhaps consider doing a couple white fondant drapes (interpretively for the sleeves)??? i dont know, but i do think this will turn out very nicely!

oh, one other thought, i like the two 12 " tiers. i'd even consider the next two tiers being the same size also . just make sure to separate the tiers with foam core or cardboard (it will be hidden if you cover it all with fondant. this way it will be structurally sound- dont forget dowels- and your pieces will be 4 inches tall, not 8 inches tall. )

kathik Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 7:19am
post #23 of 23

Melyssa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

oh, one other thought, i like the two 12 " tiers. i'd even consider the next two tiers being the same size also . just make sure to separate the tiers with foam core or cardboard (it will be hidden if you cover it all with fondant. this way it will be structurally sound- dont forget dowels- and your pieces will be 4 inches tall, not 8 inches tall. )

I drew a version with the next two tiers the same, but it made it look almost robotic in shape, that's why I kept them different sizes. My plan was to dowel the tiers as 4" each, then stack (like a wedding cake) the next tier of same size, dowel, and repeat with the smaller sizes.

moshiachnow, what is the mizbayach? Is that the altar of incense mentioned in the parsha? I'm not very literate in Hebrew yet and my son's not here to help me. My concern with this idea is that I can't do much detail work on the doll size figure. It's a lot easier for me to do larger pieces.

Still processing!
Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%