Need Help Stenciling A Cookie!!!

Baking By mohara Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 4:37pm by jen1977

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 2

Hi.
I want to try stenciling xmas cookies this year. I tried last year but it definitely didn't work. I was trying to stencil onto a wet iced cookie and was trying to hold the stencil above the icing and sprinkle the sugar, etc...it was a nightmare and didn't work.

Then of course I had an epiphany over the summer and realized I should have let the icing dry completely. Then lay the stencil on top of the cookie, then "paint" a thin layer of glaze in the shape and then sprinke with sugar or sprinkles.

Is there any other way that works for some of you? My better homes and garden cookie magazine that just came out references using piping gel to do this, but I didn't know if the gel hardens enough to stack the cookies.

The mag also mentions luster dusting them with the gel - but I'm still afraid of it not being firm enough. has anyone used luster dust with a glaze icing???

Please share any tips you might have!!!!
Thanks.

1 reply
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 2

I used luster dust on Antonia's icing for my pirate ship cookies. It was very easy and looked nice. I guess it depends on the look you are going for. Luster dust gives a flat look, and the sugar sprinkles would be raised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%