Mud Cakes And Fillings

Decorating By moptop Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm by Steffen74

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking of decorating a mud cake for my best pal's bday next weekend and, having never done one before, have a couple questions.

- It sounds like mud cakes are super dense and more fudgey (sp?) than cake like - is that correct?
- Can mud cakes be stacked?
- I'm thinking of giving both the white and dark chocolate mud cakes a try - what fillings and/or icing flavors would you suggest for each?

thanks much!

5 replies
jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 6

Great question moptop, I am wondering this myself! I am also wanting some good mud cake recipes...having trouble finding the "good" ones that people love!!!!

Can't wait to see what others say!

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 6

mud cakes are really thick dense and moist and great for covering in MMF or fondant. I don't usually fill them as they are really heavy and seam to squish any creamy fillings out. I have used a thin layer of melted choc and a dense fruit syrup to fill. raspberry, pasionfruit and mixed berries are great with both white choc and mississippi muds. I have never been asked for a filled caramel mud.

I also make my white mud cake with coconut rum and my mississppi with scotch and coat with a simple syrup made with the same alcohol...really yummy!!!!

HTH

moptop Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by torki

mud cakes are really thick dense and moist and great for covering in MMF or fondant. I don't usually fill them as they are really heavy and seam to squish any creamy fillings out. I have used a thin layer of melted choc and a dense fruit syrup to fill. raspberry, pasionfruit and mixed berries are great with both white choc and mississippi muds. I have never been asked for a filled caramel mud.

I also make my white mud cake with coconut rum and my mississppi with scotch and coat with a simple syrup made with the same alcohol...really yummy!!!!

HTH

Oh my gosh, those combos sound like heaven...! thank you for your suggestions! what recipe(s) do you use (if you're willing to share *grin*)? And what does 'Mississippi' refer to? is it the dark chocolate version?

thanks again for your reply - these sounds like they'll be decadent which is exactly what I wanna go for.....

moptop Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by torki

HTH

forgot to ask - how much coconut rum would you include in the white mud cake? I tend to overdo additions to recipes (more is not always better I've found out *chuckle*) so any guidance is appreciated.

Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 6

moptop, I agree those recipes sound soooo good.

Torki, if you're willing to share that would be woooonderful! icon_smile.gif (my mouth is watering...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%