Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant Question...

Decorating By shoup_family Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 3:35pm by iris711

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 23

It says to combine milk and gelatin and allow to firm as the first step. The next step is to heat it. Doesn't it need to be heated and dissolved first???

Please advise!

Thanks!

22 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 23

No it does not need to be heated first. Gelatin is "bloomed" (softens) in cool water or any liquid, then it is heated to dissolve it.

deb

shoup_family Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #3 of 23

How long does it take to bloom, please??

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:08am
post #4 of 23

only about 5-10 minutes - it will sort of look like gel when finished

Roway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roway Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:15am
post #5 of 23

How do you store this fondant, and how long can you keep it. (Does it need refrigerated?) Thanks...

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:42am
post #6 of 23

no, it does not need to be refrigerated. the high sugar content acts as a preservative. I've kept mine for a couple weeks at room temp. If I don't use it up by then I throw it in the freezer and pull out what I need as I need it. I have a tupperware container full of different color scraps that I use when I need just a little of some color. Its double wrapped in plastic wrap and then into a ziplock bag with the air pushed out, then into the tupperware. That's probably overkill, but....

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:58am
post #7 of 23

I never heard of this recipe, please share it with us....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:18am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

I never heard of this recipe, please share it with us....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-27-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

Roway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roway Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:24am
post #9 of 23

Thanks for your help!!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:51am
post #10 of 23

Thank you, i'm defenedly going to try this one!

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 10:35am
post #11 of 23

This is a great recipe! I tried it last week. I had powdered sugar everywhere but I couldn't believe the nice texture it has. Actually better than MMF and I thought nothing could beat it. It makes a huge bit also. Nice to know I can freeze it. I was wondering how to keep it. Pam from Bama

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:56am
post #12 of 23

This is the only fondant that I use now. My kids will eat it by itself it tastes so good. It's very smooth and easy to work with too, and doesn't make near the mess that mmf does when you make it.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:09pm
post #13 of 23

This fondant really is great. I love it as well and won't do anything else (I used to be an avid MMF user) I don't know what you guys mean about it being less messy and less trouble though.

It's the same amount, in fact, it seems like more trouble then MMF to make. I have to knead this one for a while, whereas, I hardly had to touch the MMF batch, I also have to knead it on a powdered sugar surface which gets QUITE messy. Regardless, I love this recipe.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:11pm
post #14 of 23

I add most of the sugar in my KA, and don't have to knead much at all. It does have more steps, but I think it's much easier to make. I hate washing the bowls with melted marshmallow in it!

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:22pm
post #15 of 23

I am a total convert to this Fondant from MMF. My MMF always cracked on me and I did think it was way messier than this. The mmf always seemed so sticky and I was never sure if it was going to be enough or if I would have to make another batch.

This reciepe is huge and it is so smooth. The KA gets it to the right consistancy and away I go! - LOVE IT

Makanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makanda Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:29pm
post #16 of 23

Okay...here's another dumb question....I'm just a beginner and don't have a KA yet. How does this recipe do when done by hand? Which one would be better if I don't have a KA, MMF or this recipe?

Help ASAP! Thanks!

alanahodgson Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 23

they're both sticky to make. If you have a less powerful stand mixer with a dough hook you can start the fondant in there and then hand knead the rest of the sugar in.

Makanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makanda Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks for your help! I don't have any kind of a stand mixer but I'll do my best with what I've got. I've asked for a KA for my anniversary (November). We'll see if DH follows through!

Thanks again!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 23

I have used this recipe for many years (I'm making two different flavored batches now) and I have frozen it multiple times with excellent results. It does have to be properly wrapped though. Otherwise it will crust over just like any other fondant.

It's so nice to read that so many like my recipe. It took me quite a while to get the formula just the way I needed it to be for me.

Thanks for all the compliments! icon_biggrin.gif

Michele

shoup_family Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 6:41pm
post #20 of 23

Michelle Foster's fondant is definitely more elastic than mmf. It is not as stretchy as the Wilton I used.. (yuck nasty). Did I make it right??

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 4:02am
post #21 of 23

You use a kA for it! What are the steps. That's if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:35pm
post #23 of 23

thanks, I saved it in my recipe box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%