How Do I Smooth Out Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By born2bake Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 12:56am by born2bake

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 9

I can't seem to get my buttercream frosting to look smooth when I put it on my cakes. Meaning so smooth it could pass for fondant. Does this make sense? Should I make my frosting thinner to spread easier? Would adding Corn Syrup help at all?

Thanks!
born2bake

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 9

Melvira Method, baby, all the way!!! I only tried this for the first time a few months ago and it's the ONLY way I do my cakes now.

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 9

I've always used a method I learned in my first Wilton class. Lightly spray the icing with water from a fine mist squirt bottle. Then use a flat spatula to smooth it. Have never had an issue. Makes it smooth as glass.

haven't tried the melvira method or the viva towel method yet, but both seem to get rave reviews.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 9

paper towel and roller way...there is a tutorial on how to do both in the tutorial section

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 9

Yes I agree the melvira method is awesome! I have done the viva towel method too, but Melvira's method is best in my opinion.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 9

If you use crusting buttercream then the melvira method is really good. I use a non-crusting buttercream so melvira (or viva towel, whatever you call it) doesn't work. I soften it in the microwave and use lamanated cards to smooth with. Stiff ones to do straight sides and tops and flexible ones to go around curves. Dipping your spatula in hot water and then wiping it off with a hot towel helps and always wipe spatuala off with towel after every stroke.

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 9

I let my b/c set for a few minutes and then come back around with a flat spatula dipped in hot hot water. I am in the minority, I think, but I don't wipe mine. I get really nice results by having just a bit of water on the spatula.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:19am
post #8 of 9

I love love love the viva method, had a couple people ask if some of my cakes were fondant!

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I'll try Milvira Method and the Viva paper towel method. I've done the spatula in hot water, wipe if off, but it didn't work for me.

This is the best website for cake decorating junkies like me!

b2b

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%