Great Value (Gv) Vegetable Shortening Is Now 0 Trans Fat!

Decorating By darkchocolate Updated 1 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm by auntmamie

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 14

I just bought some more GV all vegetable shortening this afternoon and it has become 0 Trans Fat as well. I picked up most all the cans and they were all 0 Trans Fat. I am not sure when I bought that last can that had Trans Fat in it, but it was probably early summer.

Has anyone else noticed this?

darkchocolate

13 replies
Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 14

At my Wal-mart they had both of them to choose from still. I hope that is still the case.

darkchocolate Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 14

I have been using Sweetex so I haven't been using a lot of shortening except for some of my cookie recipes.

I am going to a bigger Wal-mart tomorrow and I want to check out their stock of GV shortening. There wasn't even anything on the can stating it was now 0 Trans Fat.

darkchocolate

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 14

Do you know how this change affects bc?

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #5 of 14

icon_cry.gif That stinks! I have been using the GV shortening for my icings....and it has worked so well....off to pout! icon_sad.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:35am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

For many people the zero trans shortenings do not crust up the icings the way it's supposed to, and they have tiny chunks of shortening and air bubbles instead of it being smooth.

I think I was jinxed by this forum! icon_razz.gif I was having no problems with using zero trans fat shortening, then Wednesday night I had to make one more batch of icing for a cake I was making for a party at work. I had so many air bubbles and it would not crust up at all! It took forever to ice the cake smooth and I had to forget about using the Viva method to smooth it out. I'm hoping this was a one time incident! *LOL*

nhanifan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhanifan Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #7 of 14

Ok so this may be a little O/T, but I have been using GV this summer and last weekend I made a cake and the shortening had a bad smell. Has this happened to anyone else? Where do you get this sweetex stuff anyway? Is it very expensive and what is its shelf life?

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:14am
post #8 of 14

I had a feeling that's what the result would be...I had run out of shortening last week and had dh pick me up the Hannaford brand on his way home from work. I just checked, and it doesn't say anything about it being zero trans fat, but man I have never had that much of a hard time with my bc. I was doing a sculpted Pikachu cake, and because the bc wouldn't crust, I couldn't get the fondant to go on...it would just DRAG all of the buttercream down! I finally had to cut the fondant and put it on in long pieces, which I was NOT happy about!!! The other cake I did I had a better time with, but I also let it set overnight, so the bc had completely crusted before I put the fondant on. It took forever for it to start crusting, though, which is very unusual for the recipe that I use. I'm usually able to put it on and smooth it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

For many people the zero trans shortenings do not crust up the icings the way it's supposed to, and they have tiny chunks of shortening and air bubbles instead of it being smooth.

I think I was jinxed by this forum! icon_razz.gif I was having no problems with using zero trans fat shortening, then Wednesday night I had to make one more batch of icing for a cake I was making for a party at work. I had so many air bubbles and it would not crust up at all! It took forever to ice the cake smooth and I had to forget about using the Viva method to smooth it out. I'm hoping this was a one time incident! *LOL*

darkchocolate Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:26am
post #9 of 14

nhanifan,
I bought my Sweetex from The Baker's Kitchen. Their prices and S&H is very reasonable. Here is a link to the page.

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Baking_Ingredients/Food_Items/Buttercream_&_Shortenings/ready-made_buttercream_&_shortenings.htm

darkchocolate

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:26am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanifan

Ok so this may be a little O/T, but I have been using GV this summer and last weekend I made a cake and the shortening had a bad smell. Has this happened to anyone else? Where do you get this sweetex stuff anyway? Is it very expensive and what is its shelf life?

If the shortening has a bad smell, PITCH IT. OR, since it's from Walmart, you can more than likely take it back and exchange. They are pretty good about taking their products back. I have pitched a partial can of the new Crisco. The shelf life doesn't seem as long once opened or something. I couldn't figure out why my icing tasted funny and I smelled the can of Crisco. That was my culprit. I am not having HORRIBLE problems with my buttercream, but I use half butter/half Crisco.

Somebody stated last week that GV brand is made by Crisco and packaged under the GV label, so it seems it will all be switched soon. Sweetex can be found in your cake supply stores or online. It is much more expensive than Crisco and especially more than GV, but it gets high fives from everyone who has used it.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:46am
post #11 of 14

I just bought a can of GV (wanted to see if there was a difference from that from the Crisco) that still has not switched over to no trans fat and i have to say it worked really well on an icing i made. I thought that it would be subpar from the Crisco, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was very good. And now that i have read here that it is made from Crisco, I am even more pleased!!!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 14

icon_confused.gif I just opened mine.....it smelled like it always has......maybe you just got a bad can?

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 14

Does anyone know if you can freeze & thaw shortening succesfully without it separating or getting weird? I've considered buying a few tubs of the walmart stuff with trans fats (what I normally use) while I can but I wouldn't likely use it before it went bad...thought about freezing it but not sure?

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 14

My Walmart still had about 20 cans of the old formula as of about 4 hours ago. I grabbed 3, at 2.48 a can. Anyone living in the northeast may want to consider driving to Littleton NH!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%