Buttercream Baby Blanket Cake

Decorating By Skylar Updated 8 Feb 2005 , 4:11am by Skylar

Skylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skylar Posted 30 Jan 2005 , 2:04am
post #1 of 13

Hi! I just found this website and I love it! I saw a baby shower cake that actually looked like a woven baby blanket. They used a buttercream icing. Does anyone know what tip and technique to use to create this effect? Thanks icon_smile.gif

12 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jan 2005 , 4:29am
post #2 of 13

Hi there. If you can identify which cake you are talking about, perhaps we can help. You can get a woven look on a set buttercream by using a paper towel impression, an impression mat, material with a pronounced weave place on the set buttercream, various methods.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Skylar Posted 30 Jan 2005 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 13

I did not see the picture of the cake on this website. I just remember that the person showing me the picture said they piped the buttercream icing on top of the cake to make it look like a blanket. I can't remember the tip they said they used or the technique. Any ideas would be helpful. I am pretty new to cake decorating, so I need lots of details. Thank you so much! princess.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Jan 2005 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 13

I wonder if it's the same method I've seen used for sweater-shaped cakes or Wilton's crocheted-look 3D teddy bear? This method involved using a round tip--probably a 3 or 4 and creating small overlapping loops. Very neat the way it comes out but I bet it's time consuming!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 31 Jan 2005 , 12:25am
post #5 of 13

Skylar,

I have done several baby shower cakes with what I think you are talking about. I place a baby that I get out of Sweet Celebrations pg 54 in the catalog on the cake and then I take a piece of saran wrap and fold it in half so it is double thickness, maybe about 10" wide after I double it. I lay it down on the counter and then do the basket weave technique in 2 different colors. Then I gently lift it up and place it over the baby making sure to come over the head a little so it doesn't slip down over the back of the baby. After I get it draped into place I leave it with slight "folds" in a couple of place so it isn't just flat, and then I pipe a border around it to cover any saran wrap and give it a finished look. If I knew how to attach a photo to this I would. I hope from my jumbled explanation you can figure it out!!

~Luraleigh~

SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Jan 2005 , 4:08am
post #6 of 13

Well it most certainly could be any of those methods. Some people use the star tip and make the blanket look like a patchwork quilt also. I was thinking of the sweater look when you mentioned it. Of course the easiest method is to use a pice of rolled fondant and imprint it with perhaps Viva paper towels that have that woven look.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 31 Jan 2005 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 13

Hi--
To expand just a bit on SquirrellyCakes' suggestion of using rolled fondant, I would take a texture sheet (found in craft stores in the polymer clay department: don't worry, they are food-safe) and use one of those to get a quilted look on the fondant. I have a set that includes a woven, lace, and floral pattern.

Luraleigh--it is very easy to upload a picture on to this site. Make sure you are logged in, go to the galleries page and click on "upload photo." The site walks you through the process.

Good luck!

Skylar Posted 3 Feb 2005 , 2:14am
post #8 of 13

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I'll have to experiment with these techniques to see which I want to use. I think the cake that I saw did have overlapping loops.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Feb 2005 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 13

Hi Skylar,

The cake I did in the picture gallery with the small bear on top of a square has a fondant blanket.I used a tracing wheel to make the squares and stitches and cut out little flowers for the inside of the patches.It was really easy!! See my Profile under my name!!

Skylar Posted 6 Feb 2005 , 1:06am
post #10 of 13

Hi Kiddiekakes,
That cake is gorgeous. I haven't worked with fondant very much, my family doesn't like the taste. I have tried the trick of adding vegetable shortening and vanilla flavor, but they still did not like it. Do you have any secrets for making it taste better?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Feb 2005 , 2:54am
post #11 of 13

I depends on the fondant.My mom gets a certain type of fondant from her supplier and it tastes and smells like Candyfloss.Wiltons does not taste good!!Have you tried making a Marshmellow fondant?? It is made with marshmellows and taste really good.I think there is a recipe for it on the wilton forums if you do a search.That might be an option!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Feb 2005 , 5:13am
post #12 of 13

Skylar,
Have to agree with you, every cake Kiddiekakes does is perfect, she is one talented decorator! And a super nice helpful person too!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Skylar Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 4:11am
post #13 of 13

I haven't tried the marshmallow fondant, but I'm going to look up that recipe. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%