Edible Images

Decorating By librarian Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm by librarian

librarian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
librarian Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make cakes with edible images but I'm not sure how to get started. Do I have to buy software? Is there a particular company you recommend? Is there one brand of edible ink that works best?
Thanks!

5 replies
1gananny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1gananny Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 6

I would also like any info on this subject.

ldydb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldydb Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

I bought the epson printer and food grade ink and I print my own. I just use whatever I already have (ie powerpoint, word or a picture). I got it the printer from epson and the ink and paper from KopyKake.com. They have a program but everytime I tryied to used it it pinted off center (NOT COOL) so I just quit that. Hope this helps.

bradleycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradleycake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 6

I am a home baker and I use edible images all the time. I usually print the messages on my cakes using edible images. They are a lifesaver for me because I haven't mastered writing with icing. Check out some of the cakes in my photos. I have a scanner and a printer I use exclusively for images. You have to use edible ink in it and it can't be used for anything else. The model I have is the Canon PIXMA iP3000. I would recommend it. I get all of my ink and frosting sheets from Icing Images. Here is the link: http://www.icingimages.com/info.php. I recommend the LUCKS brand frosting sheets. They work the best for me. There is a good tutorial on this site for using edible images. The link for that is http://www.cakecentral.com/article59-Edible-Images-Chapter-1---The-Basics.html. I hope this helps. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Daddycakes70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daddycakes70 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 6

I have the Canon Pixma IP 3000 printer and love it. I bought it off of Newegg for $60, and just gave away the inks that came with it. I buy my inks from PhotoFrost and use the Luck's frosting sheets. I've tried the wafer paper and didn't like that at all. However, they are good for butterflies. Just make sure and keep the inks in a Ziploc bag until ready to use and put them back in the bag after you are done. I just print the images on occasion, and I don't want the ink to dry out in the printer. Also make sure the keep the frosting sheets zipped up too in the resealable bag they come in. I just can't see spending the money on all of those edible image print systems when it's just as easy to do it yourself. icon_biggrin.gif

librarian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
librarian Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info! I agree with you - why spend money if you don't have to. I wasn't aware you could do it without buying a system. Great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%