Rice Crispies For Molding

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 1:56am by cakesbykitty

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 11

Im in need of a recipe for Rice Crispie Treats.. But I also need to mold them and cover with fondant. I mean, I have the recipe.. what I need to know is Butter or no butter... And will it be edible.. How advance can I make these.. I will need them done by Sat. and event is Sun.. TIA!!!!!!
Christy

10 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have the answer for you, but I too would like to know!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 11

I've never done any molding with Crispy treats, but I think a great person to ask would be Duff from Charm City Cakes. He does lots of molding on his cakes with Crispies and I heard he was very helpful when people sent him emails asking him questions. Maybe you can send him an email?

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 11

Well....I would think they would be fine as the recipe calls for except maybe less cereal so they're softer for molding. Also the ones I make sit out on the counter for a week so I would think the same would go for molded ones. If you cover them in fondant they may need to be wrapped up so the fondant doesn't get too hard. Also I can't see why they wouldn't be edible, but I haven't actually ever done this, I'm only guessing. So .....
Bump thumbs_up.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 11

I've gone to the dollar store and bought the premade ones for smaller projects.

Open the pack, squish em together and mold!!

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 11

Defintely Buy them from the store. I made a whole bunch of rice crispies to use for molding and it was a disaster! I decided NEVER to try that again. but then i bought some store bought ones and it was SO MUCH FUN!! The store bought ones are perfect.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 11

IHATEFONDANT
That sounds like a way smarter way.. thumbs_up.gif BUT I have to make 44 small light bulbs fondant covered and dusted with gold dust.. I'm donating this cake.. SOOOOOOOOOO I really dont want to spend to much money on this.. I have to make two 18x12 cakes and push them together to make one HUGE cake, 50 cupcakes with fondant stars on top, plus make some color flow or royal icing wording. I still have to purchase the plywood of some sort to support such a big cake.. And any and all items needed for this HUGE CAKE!!!!
OMG I'm stressing!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif LOL

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:00am
post #8 of 11

I just recently "found" the RK treat idea and used them on my last two cakes - the turrets on the castle cake and the recliner, tv and table on the Redskins cake. What alot of fun! I just used the recipe off the box of RK and it worked perfectly. I heard that the kids at the party took the turrets off and ate them! icon_lol.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:08am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

IHATEFONDANT
That sounds like a way smarter way.. thumbs_up.gif BUT I have to make 44 small light bulbs fondant covered and dusted with gold dust.. I'm donating this cake.. SOOOOOOOOOO I really dont want to spend to much money on this.. I have to make two 18x12 cakes and push them together to make one HUGE cake, 50 cupcakes with fondant stars on top, plus make some color flow or royal icing wording. I still have to purchase the plywood of some sort to support such a big cake.. And any and all items needed for this HUGE CAKE!!!!
OMG I'm stressing!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif LOL

OY!!!...it might get expensive for sure.

Good luck with all that work!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:18am
post #10 of 11

In my photo's, the "3" and the pillow it's sitting on are rice crispy treats. To make the fondant smooth you'll have to smear them with buttercream first or use really thick fondant. The buttercream makes the rice crispy's go stale very quick. I made them myself, I've been making them for years and years though, it's the first thing my mom taught me to make in the kitchen, so I would never even consider buying premade rice crispy treats.

If you make them yourself (and I use butter, it keeps the marshmallows from sticking to the pot) Here's what I do. They will be HOT. Use a big spoon and blob some out on it's own. Then get your hands wet and shape it quickly. Try to really jam them together hard. Then wet again if you need to, don't drench them though. It will force them into making to smoothest texture you can get out of a rice crispy treat. Refrigerate to get them to set well and then decorate.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:56am
post #11 of 11

hmmm, i like the idea of premade treats for small projects. my treats are always rock hard no matter what i change up. oy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%