In Your Opinion, Best Decorator?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 11:45pm by superstar

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 51

Who is your favorite out of everyone right now? Personally I'm loving Bronwen... her work is so clean, I just can't get enough of it. I like Duff but to a point, I think a lot of their cakes could have more detail to them...

Just curious, thought this would stir up some convo...

50 replies
mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 51

I'd have to say Mike McCarey! His work is amazing and perfectly executed, and I love how his pieces are dynamic and not just "flat".

Courtney

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 51

JenniferMI has my vote! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 51

JenniferMI has my vote! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
her work is flawless!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 51

Mike McLaren is my favorite too. His cakes are just awe-inspiring.
For gumpaste work, I really love Scott Wooley too icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 51

Mike McCarey hands down. I've seen him work live at a Food Network Challenge that I was lucky enough to go to and he doesn't have the name "Mike's Amazing Cakes" for no reason! thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 51

I agree JenniferMI, Sugarshack, mekaclayton, Antonia74, Tuggy.. and others(can't name everyone) here on CC have my vote... their work is just flawless.

and.. franjmc, boonati.. (hope I'm getting the spelling correct)

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 51

its hard to pick "JUST ONE" ..so among my favorites are:

margaret braun- wow. different.
elisa strauss- very feminine and fun.
mike mccary- just plain amazing.
colette peters - whimsical.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 51

Bronwen is AWESOME! I alswaysroot for her on the food network challenges I think she should have won the Simpsons Movie challenge btw. WHO cak stack a cake to look like a DONUT?!?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

Bronwen is AWESOME! I alswaysroot for her on the food network challenges

oh, i love her work too!

.... too many to choose from!

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 51

Id have to say Mike McCarey and Collette Peters are my favorite. I like to watch Duff "deligate" the cakes on his show. I dont watch his show for information as much as I watch for entertainment.But they are talented non the less.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 51

I'd have to say Bronwen Is my top favorite. Her decorating skills are amazing but she is also down to earth and doesn't "know it all"

Second would be Duff -- I love everything about him. He's funny and the decorating is great. And he seems to be very casual with his staff.

Then Mike McCarey -- His Work is outstanding. I think the I'm the best attitude can be a little diffferent. But his cakes are outstanding.

My choices aren't based on skills first they are based on attitude. I've picked on the fact of who would I want to sit down and have a normal every day conversation with.

cCc

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 51

Mike McCarey, hands down! I am ordering my wedding cake from him!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him!!!!!!!!!!!

KellyAnne1284 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 51

And...listen...I love Duff for his wonderful personality and the fact that he kinda paved the way for extreme cakes, but....and don't knock me down on my butt for this....but....

When have you seen him do any real work? On the show, all he really does is delegate and maybe do some odds and ends here and there. I've seen him in a few food network challenges and I've never seen him win. Not even close. I think his concept is great, but his work - not so much.

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 51

I agree with KellyAnne1284:

Duff is fun to watch but his employees should get more credit because they seem to do most of the work. He is the one that delivers and get the credit alot of the time.

mamacc Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneysCustomCakes

I'd have to say Bronwen Is my top favorite. Her decorating skills are amazing but she is also down to earth and doesn't "know it all"

Second would be Duff -- I love everything about him. He's funny and the decorating is great. And he seems to be very casual with his staff.

Then Mike McCarey -- His Work is outstanding. I think the I'm the best attitude can be a little diffferent. But his cakes are outstanding.

My choices aren't based on skills first they are based on attitude. I've picked on the fact of who would I want to sit down and have a normal every day conversation with.

cCc

Really? I haven't noticed Mike having any attitude, but it seemed like Bronwen did in the Simpsons challenge...like she expected the win and was mad when she didn't. Her cake WAS freaking awesome though!

Courtney

mamacc Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:06pm
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAnne1284

And...listen...I love Duff for his wonderful personality and the fact that he kinda paved the way for extreme cakes, but....and don't knock me down on my butt for this....but....

When have you seen him do any real work? On the show, all he really does is delegate and maybe do some odds and ends here and there. I've seen him in a few food network challenges and I've never seen him win. Not even close. I think his concept is great, but his work - not so much.

I think Duff CAN do the work but just doesn't usually...LOL. I think Geoff has some mad skills!! They always give him the hardest, most complicated cakes to do and he does them perfectly.

ps. you are so lucky to have Mike M. do your wedding cake! icon_smile.gif

Courtney

KellyAnne1284 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 51

Lucky? Does getting Mike to do a wedding cake take some skill? Ionno...we were watching a food network challenge one night...saw him, checked out his website and plan to order our cake from him. Um.....I'm assuming now that he doesn't do just anybody's cake?

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #19 of 51

I think anyone can order from him... I think it just costs a pretty penny to do so... I don't believe shipping a cake would be too cheap, let alone paying for something elaborate of his besides that. If I would've known about him when I got married, I would've booked him as well... would've beaten my poor excuse for a cake icon_sad.gif

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #20 of 51

Courtney -- Not really an attitude just seems like he's the best and he knows it. Of course If any of us were the best we'd know it too. I of course don't know him (like to meet them all) so could be just perception. He doesn't seem as down to earth as some of the others. For example, he tried to tell jokes and make the crowd laugh during the Villian challange. ( I thought it was a nice touch) But he seemed like he was unconfortable and out of his element. Thus why I'd like to meet him in person someday, Television doesn't show a person in the right light.

cCc

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 7:08pm
post #21 of 51

Duff's stuff is fun, but not often original and his technique isn't nearly as refined YET as Mike's or Elisa Strauss at Confetti. He's going to do nothing but improve ~ and he sure has brought a lot of attention and RESPECT to the art of cake. Then again he did make my all-time fav cake of the flamenco dancer wedding.

I love seeing every new thing the 2 ladies from the Philippines come up with ~ Judy Uson and Michelle Hechanova (she did my all-time fav cake of the 2 trees uniting) ~ both do incredible work.

Rosebud Cakes, Beverly Hills ~ so creative (they did my all-time fav cake of the bowl of Cheerios). Mike made my all-time fav cake of the barnstorming wedding... and Colette...wow

In Britain there's Heidi at www.weddingcakes.uk.net who does a lot of unique work, and Peggy Porschen, and Rachel Mount (she did my all-time fav cake of the toy robot wedding).

Oh! And Ruth Seidler at JollyBe did my all-time fav cake of the Seurat circus... and Just Fabulous Pastries and of course Susie of Houston (she made my all-time fav cake of the yellow Labrador Retriever)...and Bake Me a Cake in Orlando...and the icing "paintings" by Jacques Pastries, and and and ...

Geez, how could you ever choose??!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:13am
post #22 of 51

I love everything Rebecca Sutterby's done!! icon_smile.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:27am
post #23 of 51

Mike McCarey hands down!! Don't get me wrong...I love watching Ace of Cakes...and Duff is cool....but Mike's cakes are truely "Amazing." The degree of accuracy and realism he is able to achieve is just astounding.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I love everything Rebecca Sutterby's done!! icon_smile.gif

Me too!!! She is my favorite...

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:40am
post #25 of 51

I like so many of them, but Mike McCarey is great and I think Duff's friends are the best, Duff seems to assist them a lot in the latest shows. I wonder if he does more of the design work and the rest of his team does more of the execution.

Anyhow there are a tonne of people that are awesome including quite a few on CC, i keep a list of my favorites and it's getting pretty long currently have about 15 on the list as of last count.

Good Luck.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:40am
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAnne1284

he actually has won one. he won the skyline challange. on his show they sometimes show the big check he has up in his shop

ok even though im in love with duff. i would have to say Marina Sousa for her beautiful cakes and Mark McCarey for wow-factor cakes

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:46am
post #27 of 51

I love love love ...all of the afore mentioned decorators and find it hard to chose one favorite. However and I know she is a geat decorator...has anyone ever found Kerry Vincent to be a stuffy ...know-it-all? I mean I have a book or two of hers and she is knowledgeable ...but she seems very uppity.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:53am
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

I'd have to say Mike McCarey! His work is amazing and perfectly executed, and I love how his pieces are dynamic and not just "flat".

Courtney

He is by far my favorite. I would love to just ask if I could watch him work. I'd pay to watch him work. icon_smile.gif

When he finished early and was entertaining the crowd, I would have been glad because then the camera would have been off of me (if I was competing of course). I hope to compete someday, but not against him!

Michele

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:22am
post #29 of 51

I'm not riding the fence
I'm not riding the fence
I'm not riding the fence
I haven't found a cake decorator's work that I didn't love something about.

I love the seemingly smooooooooth way that MM and his assistant work on the challenges...dots the I's and crosses the T's and there always seems to be a plan b

I love BW's bubbly personality and the way she works with others...a "so what if we goofed. at least we had fun. and that is almost as good as winning" attitude...no pressure

Michele Bommarito her perserverence...the relationship she has with her brother puts a smile on my face when I see them working together...she's willing to go beyond her comfort zone.

marina sousa...I love her work.

God bless! all the ones that haven't yet made it to the screen or magazines!

Hell, even the cake decorators' work at Food Lion make me smile!

I can't pick a favorite!

I better remove the splinter from my buttocks...I am riding the fence, ain't I?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #30 of 51

This is my favorite decorator at the moment. I don't think she is a member of CC. To me her cakes are perfect, but I like more simple designs and the perfectly smooth fondant just amazes me.

http://www.oksugar.com/index.asp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%