Non Toxic Chalk???

Decorating By kcat3740 Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 4:32am by jules06

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #1 of 19

I want to try a couple of gum paste flowers and a few of them say to use non toxic "chalk" to paint them. Are they just talkinga bout regular crayola chalk (since I notice my nieces sidewalk chalk says non toxic) - or is there some particular kind of chalk used for cake decorating and if so where do you get it?? Thanks for any help and sorry to be so dumb about it icon_redface.gif

18 replies
evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #2 of 19

no non-toxic chalk its no a regular crayola chalk you need buy in cake supplies store. ask in www.creativecutters.com or www.cakedeco.com or www.cuquisdesigns.com or another web site store

kcat3740 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:05am
post #3 of 19

Thank you so much!!! thumbs_up.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:44am
post #4 of 19

I too have been experimenting with gum paste flowers. I bought and used non toxic chalk pastels from Jo-Anne's. I just grinded it up with my box shredder (the smallest one to make a powder) then I mixed it with lemon extract.

Here is what I bought http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat293844&PRODID=xprd233241

HTH

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:51am
post #5 of 19

i just asked this same question in another thread...thanks for the info!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 19

If you scroll down this page:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/store/colors.html

you will see some decorator's chalk that I had purchased for scrapbooking years ago. I'm sure you can find it at a variety of craft places. I was so excited when I saw this on a cake supply b/c I already had it and never thought about using it for flowers.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 19

I bought scrapbooking chalks from Ebay.There are several kinds that are matte or shimmer in all colors.I use these all the time.They specifically say Non Toxic on the package.They were about $14.00 a palette.Very reasonably priced!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 19

For use on gumpaste, Michael's and AC Moore will have non-toxic chalk in their "fine art" department - I bought a set of 48 colors for about $5 - and you can use a coupon to save even more. Be sure to look for non-toxic, because they also have others that are not advertised as such. I use a small strainer from a kitchen gadget store - little strainer with very fine stainless steel mesh that is about a one-half cup size. Grate the chalk into the "bowl" of the strainer, allowing the powder to fall onto wax paper or parchment below. Works as well as the mucho more expensive petal dusts in the little pots that I can't open to save my life....

kcat3740 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:04am
post #9 of 19

Thank you everybody! I looked at some of those chalks oday and wondered about them - now I know I can go back and buy it. I really appreciate everyones help. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 19

So, I can use any of the chalk stuff found in the scrapbooking area of Hobby Lobby as long as it says "non-toxic"??

Also, how would you make the "dots" that are found on a lot of lilies. Most of them are brownish. Would you just paint them on with Americolor gel??

Thanks for starting this thread, I am going to start making some fall flowers out of gumpaste for a wedding at the end of the month.

kcat3740 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 19

sugarlaced - keeping in mind that while I have bought the chalks I haven't actually had a chance to start doing the flowers - I would assume you put it on with the chalk - there are some brownish ones in my set. I would think you just apply a little darker and/or heavier to get the color.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:37am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlaced

So, I can use any of the chalk stuff found in the scrapbooking area of Hobby Lobby as long as it says "non-toxic"??

Also, how would you make the "dots" that are found on a lot of lilies. Most of them are brownish. Would you just paint them on with gel??

Thanks for starting this thread, I am going to start making some fall flowers out of gumpaste for a wedding at the end of the month.

I take the chalk and mix it with vodka and paint the dots on with a toothpick or a VERY VERY fine brush. you also can use straight icing coloring painted with a toothpick

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:42am
post #13 of 19

Yes, you can use any chalk, as long as it's non-toxic ( no need to spend a fortune on "special " chalk !! )
You can "paint " with chalk using a wet brush - water is fine, or as mentioned, toothpicks....

icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:51am
post #14 of 19

while you may use water, you're results will not be nearly as reliable as if you were to use alcohol or extracts. the latter will evaporate much quicker while using water, you run the risk of it melting your sugar paste.

jules06 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:16am
post #15 of 19

Sorry Melysa - I was talking about doing the dots for the lilies & the brush is damp, not dripping with water icon_biggrin.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 9:01am
post #16 of 19

You can use crayola chalk, or generic chalk, as well. As long as it says non-toxic, it's fine. You don't have to get special chalk from craft stores. The 25 cent box of chalk is fine, or even the giant 4 dollar boxes of sidewalk chalk will do, and those are a lot easier to grind into powder, I've found.

I used a tea strainer, but I found it wasn't fine enough for me, so after that I used my mortar and pestle.

Also, if you don't have a way of making it into a powder, you can just rub it back and forth on a piece of paper over and over again, and it will turn into a fine powder. (I've found it works better on printer paper, than notebook paper)

Hope this helps,

Holly

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 19

jules.... icon_smile.gif

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks so much for all the great information!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:32am
post #19 of 19

Melysa, icon_biggrin.gif

I totally love your cakes btw !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%