Whats Your Cake Decorating Talent?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm by Jen1979

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 32

I've noticed that decorators tend to have specific talents with their cakes. Some are fantastic with piping and delicate string work, others can make amazing figures, some are very elegant, and some are more funky.
What's everyone's style? I think I tend to be better with gumpaste-piping is my nemisis.

31 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 32

I enjoy doing the trompe-l'oeil thing....a term usually associated with painting (French for trick of the eye)....you know...making the cake look like something else...

I also like sculpting fondant
icon_smile.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 32

hmmmmmm, sure wish I had one of those specific talents. As you can see by looking in my gallery, I'm more "impaired" than tanlented. icon_lol.gif I love to see work of people that have a certain skill down to a science.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I've noticed that decorators tend to have specific talents with their cakes. Some are fantastic with piping and delicate string work, others can make amazing figures, some are very elegant, and some are more funky.
What's everyone's style? I think I tend to be better with gumpaste-piping is my nemisis.

I think some of my talents lie in coming up with my own designs and definitely carving and sculpting cakes.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 32

I have to honestly say that my piping skills... SUCK! I'm the only baker I know around here that charges less for fondant than I do for smooth buttercream because I'm an absolute perfectionist in that respect that the sides of the cake should be smooth and not splotchy with spatula marks (unless it's intended to be rough iced).

As for style, I'd have to say mine is definitely to the more complex than what a lot of the licensed bakers around here are willing to do. My area of expertise is incorporating the little details into the designs and working with crazy themes with over the top, but not TOO over the top cakes (apparently around here, except for Moydear and myself, a Wilton design is "over the top").

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #6 of 32

I'm coming off of a 5-7 year hiatus so I am going to just pull an Indydeb and say it like it is...

I currently suck at everything equally while I come back up to speed. icon_lol.gif

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 32

While there are tons of decorators that are WAY better than me...
My talent is really connecting with the customer and knowing what they want..and actually producing a product they were looking for.
I have had so many..."you seemed to know exactly what I wanted" comments! icon_wink.gif
Also...I come up with original idea's. ..oh ya..and my ruffle trim on my slabs seem to be a hit.. lol

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 32

I'm still so new at this, but I like to push the envelope and try new stuff.

I take a theme and try to combine fun stuff.

I learn so much from everyone here, I dont call it talent yet as I am still looking for some!

Right now it's just what I do.

Thanks to everyone for such wonderfull inspiration.

Good Luck

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 32

My only strength right now is my imagination and the wanting to do spectacular cakes......but my ideas never seem to make their way down to my fingertips icon_cry.gif; still a beginner but longing to do phenominal cakes like the ones I see on this site! icon_redface.gif

deb

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 32

I guess my strength would be 3D cakes. I'm still working on it, my goal is to make cakes that don't look like cake but sometimes it still does look like cake. haha.

I won't be happy until I can make on like Mike on Mike's Amazing Cakes though. haha. His Peter Pan cake for that competition was AMAZING and that's what I wanna do when I grow up!!!!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 32

I'm pretty good at writing on cakes, but sucky at string work! Sometimes my friend and I trade off on our skills - she is great at string work, and hates writing...it works out well since we live a block away! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I'm pretty good at writing on cakes, but sucky at string work! Sometimes my friend and I trade off on our skills - she is great at string work, and hates writing...it works out well since we live a block away! icon_lol.gif

I'm with you, I can write but I hate stringwork!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 32

Ummmm....well,.....I can terminally mess up a kitchen in less than an hour. icon_biggrin.gif Thank the Lord my DH doesn't mind helping clean up!

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:41pm
post #14 of 32

I'm not GREAT at anything but I am the self-proclaimed Extruder Queen. I love that thing!

Elle McG
part-time Cake Queen, full-time Supermodel
(it's a joke people) icon_lol.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 32

I, too, am still waiting to achieve "talented" status . . . but I do love chocolate transfers and have had lots of luck with them.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:45pm
post #16 of 32

OH, I just thought of my talent! I have an amazing talent of coming up with more 4 letter words in one cake decorating session than at any other point in an entire year!!!! icon_lol.gif I'm almost proud of myself now that I can claim to have a talent. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 32

adven68, I'm a long time fan of your cakes! The fireman cake is my favorite.

As for me, my interest lies in fondant figures. I have a long way to go, but that's what I practice the most, so I think that's what I'm best at. I never have been able to do much with the buttercream flowers. I should play around with them more, but just don't seem to have time to fit everything in!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 32

HMMMM I'd have to say my talents are short. I learn very quickly and enjoy what I'm doing.

I think my strongest talent is that I can replicate anything. IE: Pictures, Characters.... I say if you can't find it I can draw it. That is how I got into caking I couldn't find anything I needed.

I love creating things with Fondant.

And I like creating things with a combo of all kinds of Ideas.

I am also a perfectionist, so it takes me a little while longer than most but I don't send a cake out unless it up to my standards.

cCc

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:58pm
post #19 of 32

I would say my talent lies in my creativity. I like to combine a bunch of ideas from different cakes and make a one of a kind cake. I am a little shaky in my execution of the design, but I need more practice.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:59pm
post #20 of 32

I guess mine would be FBCTs. I love doing those things. thumbs_up.gif

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 8:03pm
post #21 of 32

I don't know if I have specific talent yet but I do enjoy working with fondant. I found I have a fondness for fondant...ha,ha. I do know that my flowers are my weakpoint. I just can't get them realistic looking.

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #22 of 32

I can't really give myself an A in any area other than effort and flavor. I usually produce a great tasting cake and filling but I have a long way to go with decorating skills. I can have a delicous cake in less than no time and without making a mess. Then the decorating begins and it takes me way too long to finish an average decorating job and a total mess in the kitchen. icon_mad.gif Tell me why I love doing this?

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:46pm
post #23 of 32

I think this is interesting. Everyone on here are cake decorators yet there are so many different styles involved. Unlike most of the decorators on here, I work in a commercial bakery...and I love it. I take real pride in the fact that when someone calls with a special request I can come up with a design and have it decorated in 30 minutes and ready for pick up. Today, a gentleman called and wanted a half sheet cake. He wanted the background airbrushed to look like Mexico. He wanted a big sign, written in Spanish, saying, "Welcome to Durango". He also wanted some cactus, chilli peppers, and a scorpion. Twenty minutes later it was iced, decorated and boxed. A couple of weeks ago a gentleman called and wanted a cake for his wife. He wanted a lady leading a quarter horse and in her other hand he wanted a bouquet of balloons. A week later the same gentleman wanted a horse jumping over a fence. Orders like this get my adrenaline going and I am in a decorators dream world.
When finished my cake ...still looks like a cake....but it also has a piped on scene that only the recipient really understands.
I love looking at pictures of cakes where the decorator took a week to put the whole thing together, and in another decorator's words, " It doesn't look like a cake." Somehow, to me...it should look like a cake.....just fancied up a little for their special day.
I used to do demonstrations for the art classes at the local high schools. I would ask the students to shout out an animal, a flower or a person doing something and I would pipe out whatever they came up with. Great fun and good practice for me.
And that is what my special talent is. I love buttercream and sheet cakes. I don't have very many pictures of my cakes, because I am too busy decorating.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 7:57pm
post #24 of 32

I have no idea what my strengths are....
But there are some really talented people in CC..

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:13pm
post #25 of 32

My talent is baking and piping. I've mastered some great recipes. In my opinion, the talent doesn't just come in the form of decorating. I think I've nailed the customer service aspect also. I have a knack of figuring out a bride's style within the first few minutes of speaking with her. It makes life much easier when coming up with designs. My husband is the artistic one. We tag team most of the time, and he is very talented when it comes to sculpting and doing 3D cakes. He can freehand any design on a wedding cake. Makes me sick. icon_lol.gif I suck when it comes to smoothing buttercream, and he is my savior most of the time. We compliment each other's talents, and it works out great.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:24pm
post #26 of 32

Can't say I have the talent to decorate. But man there are so many really great talented decorators here at CC I just am amazed at the cakes, I love looking at all of the pictures.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:28pm
post #27 of 32

Well, for me, my main talent is in the baking, however I am learning and improving on my decorating everyday. (Thanks to CC!) icon_smile.gif

My favorite thing to do is to take a portion from the Bible or from a story and pull something from it that is representative of a theme and design a cake around that. This has mostly come out of doing Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, but I just find this really fun.

My least talented thing is definitely writing on cakes!! tapedshut.gif

Kathi

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:28pm
post #28 of 32

Jack of all trades...master of none...

that would be me.

I've played with everything, never fully developed a skill level with any though.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:31pm
post #29 of 32

I'm a heck of a good baker- cake bread etc. I love fondant heck I love it all my greatest strength is I can copy or replicate almost anything I can see.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #30 of 32

I love painting cakes with an airbrush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%