People Touching Cakes

Decorating By Jorre Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 5:35pm by kellyh57

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #1 of 21

I made a Halloween wedding cake for a party I was attending, it was a 6" stacked on a 10" that was on 4" pillars above a graveyard full of tombstones, monsters and etc... that I hand molded from fondant.

The hostess placed the cake on the back of the dessert table so nothing would happen to it and everyone kept commenting on how amazing it was. Towards the end of the party, the hostess brought me a knife and I started disassembly for it to be cut. Everyone came over and they ALL started commenting on how they didn't think it was real (nobody had even heard of fondant) and they thought it was just an elaborate decoration. After I assured them it was very real, at least THREE ADULTS leaned over and poked it! icon_mad.gif

EEEEWWWW....... I just don't get it! I was in the process of taking all the drapes off to cut pieces, could you just not wait 2 minutes and poke your own slice instead of the entire cake!??

20 replies
starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:52am
post #2 of 21

some people have no manners nowadays. its sad realy. icon_redface.gif

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:53am
post #3 of 21

I'm so sorry for 'Pokers'! There was a thread on here about a month or so ago about people poking a decorated dummy cake at an exhibit. Apparently, most people that don't normally bake cakes like to poke other people's cakes. It is just disgusting in my opinion.

I posted in that thread that I had baked a cake for a little boy's b-day party held at a skating rink. After watching 15 kids and 10 adults take their shoes off, put on roller skates, play video games, etc for an hour and then rush over and start touching the cake, I refused to eat it. Not a single person washed their hands before they touched that cake. How nasty.

I just don't know what people are thinking when they do stupid stuff like that.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #4 of 21

Ha! Adults are worse than kids. I worked at a bakery and I took a display cake down so a custumer could see it and her son started poking the cake. I told him to stop and the woman started poking it too saying "dont poke the cake". Some customers would even walk behind the counter to poke the display cakes that were on a high shelf. What's wrong with people. I was nice then because I was supposed to be polite but now I just slap hands.

mrssmith06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrssmith06 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:58am
post #5 of 21

Sometimes Jorre, adults are worse than children. I had a similar experience at my sisters wedding. Her wedding cake was a 6 tier cake ( three stacked, three free standing) with fresh fruit on top and between the pillars. The cake was placed in the center of the buffet. When I went to help cut the cake, I noticed that some of the strawberries that were placed on the edge were missing and that my mom looked irritated. I asked her if they fell off and if she was mad at me and she explained that she had watched ADULTS pickoff the fruits and give them to thier children. I was quite irritated myself after that.

I think it was very rude of the "adults" in both situations. What gives them the nerve exactly? Some people I will never understand, but it is their kids I worry about.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:58am
post #6 of 21

Oh Jorre... I would just love to SLAP people sometimes! Fourangelsmommie, I remember you saying that... I could have barfed when I read that! I told the story about my brother sitting down next to me and poking a cake right in front of me, and when I asked him what was wrong with him he said he wanted to see if it was real. I was like, "And you couldn't just ASK me? You KNOW I made the cake!" Jorre, if you need a laugh you should read that thread! It was priceless!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:05am
post #7 of 21

mrssmith06.... It is beyond my comprehension that someone would poke/touch another person's cake. ESPECIALLY a wedding cake on display!! What on earth were those people thinking. Taking decorations off of a wedding cake before the bride and groom got a chance to do their "cake cutting " SHEESH!! icon_mad.gificon_surprised.gif How rude!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:15am
post #8 of 21

I don't understand the need to poke a cake either! I try to be understanding with young kids, but adults??!! tapedshut.gif After I spent hours creating it and someone deliberately puts their finger in it, I am really annoyed!

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:24am
post #9 of 21

Oh my gosh that is so bad. In jan of 2006 I did a peice for the nyc chocolate show (in my pics) when i was at the show i ended up yelling at a group of little boys because... wait for it... THEY WERE EATTING IT mind it was behind a red rope with a no touching sign. sigh they were just breaking peices off and eatting them.

people are so crazy sometimes icon_mad.gif

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #10 of 21

Seeing an elaborate cake is like seeing a wet paint sign ~ the brain doesn't process the information fast enough and there goes the finger!
I made a frog cake for a boys 5th birthday party. Everyone was fascinated and the adults did a good job of keeping the little fingers out of it. Just before we lighted the candles, I held the cake in the center of the table and told all the kids if they'd like to touch it lightly, now was the time! It was priceless! Sure, there were little dents in the buttercream, but the awe...it was like they were touching gold or something. Even some of the adults got in on the action. Just once the forbidden was allowed.

But a Wedding Cake ~ man, that's just rude! Time to start placing a little "Do Not Touch" sign in front...

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:37am
post #11 of 21

I've turned into the "Cake Police" at shows. I have chewed out quite a number of ADULTS for trying to touch the cakes. Much of my work is ruined at practically every show.

I'm glad I'm no longer making cakes for the public so I don't have to worry about what happens to a cake after I leave.

It's really too bad that these people were so rude and inconsiderate.

Michele

Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt

Seeing an elaborate cake is like seeing a wet paint sign ~ the brain doesn't process the information fast enough and there goes the finger!
I made a frog cake for a boys 5th birthday party. Everyone was fascinated and the adults did a good job of keeping the little fingers out of it. Just before we lighted the candles, I held the cake in the center of the table and told all the kids if they'd like to touch it lightly, now was the time! It was priceless! Sure, there were little dents in the buttercream, but the awe...it was like they were touching gold or something. Even some of the adults got in on the action. Just once the forbidden was allowed.

But a Wedding Cake ~ man, that's just rude! Time to start placing a little "Do Not Touch" sign in front...

Wyatt, you are a GENIUS!! I would love to have a video tape of that happening... all the amazed little faces getting to do that! (I would've asked for a little hand washing just in case! haha!) That's probably one of the coolest memories those little guys will take with them!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:45am
post #13 of 21

hmmm, I wonder if it would be bad manners if we poked the pokers and asked if they were real????? (just a thought) icon_rolleyes.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:53am
post #14 of 21

I made a cake for a dept. meeting at the request of my supervisor. The cake was on a table behind my supervisor as she led the meeting. Her boss then walked in, and while he waited for her to wrap up he saw the cake then proceeded to stick his finger in the icing on the edge of the cake board! (What was left after a few pieces were cut). Then he cut a small piece for himself, THEN he went over and took his used fork and scooped some more icing from the edge of the cake board! I was horrified!! It took every ounce of power in my body to keep from standing up and yelling at him! I didn't hear a word my supervisor was saying. I was so upset!! How gross, just cut a piece and eat what's on your plate, if its good then just have seconds don't contaminate it!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:53am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesBySandy

hmmm, I wonder if it would be bad manners if we poked the pokers and asked if they were real????? (just a thought) icon_rolleyes.gif

I love that idea! I may just do that.

Michele

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:56am
post #16 of 21

I'm a Wilton Instructor and have had to put my display cakes that I make for the store up high as not only do the people touch and poke at it, but according to the sales people the kids pick at the flowers and shells and eat them!! The parents don't do anything about it either. That is just disgusting in my mind. Those cakes sit out there gathering dust and god knows what!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:06am
post #17 of 21

I have always had more trouble with adult "pokers." I can't understand it!

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:24am
post #18 of 21

without fail, someone always pokes it. where are peoples manners?

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 21

You'd expect that from little children but adults?? Gross!

Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:26pm
post #20 of 21

For some reason people's hands move faster than their brains. It's like "Oooooh... pretty" (Insert slack jawed facial expression) and they instinctively reach for it, then when they hit actual frosting the brain kicks in and they look around with a guilty expression. But in some cases it's just bonefied stupidity. I mean, they think their hands are clean... forget the fact that I just watched them pet a dog and blow their nose!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:35pm
post #21 of 21

It's not just cakes! I was watching Dr. 90210 a couple of weeks ago and a lady was getting a her breasts reduced. (VERY large, fake boobs) She was commenting on how people are always poking at them and touching them knowing they were obviously not real. Apparently, people think if you put silicone/saline in your body, it's no longer off limits to touch! Ick.

Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%