How Do You Ice A Cookie Without Reaching The Border?

Baking By bertac Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 10:39pm by cryssi

bertac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bertac Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, I am just new in this cookie making item. I have seen the 92 photo pages from the cookie gallery and I said to myself that someday( better sooner than never) I would like to make cookies just the way you do.
My question is how do you make to ice the cookie without letting the icing coming to the edge. For instance, in some pumpkins I really like the way you ice it without covering it completely.

Well I am not sure if I am explaining it right, but I am convinced you will help me.

Thank you artists thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 11

Hi and Welcome,

Here's a thread to get you started:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-48892-.html

HTH

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 11

Here's my step-by-step article I did for this site:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-
Cookies.html

You can ice the cookies in 2 steps with a border of icing then cover them entirely (flooding) OR simply flood the entire cookie in one step.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 11

I simply pipe the icing around the shape of the cookie, and then fill it in after thinning it ever so slightly. ( I let the outer line that I piped around the shape of the design harden for a few minutes before letting the thinned icing drizzel in the center of it). In other words, your making a dam for the thinned icing to go inside of...make sense? Try it once and you'll see what I mean. Let me know if I can help further!

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:39am
post #5 of 11

I used Antonia's method and it worked beautifully. I loved that I didn't have to wait for the outer layer to dry before filling in too. It's all in the consistency like the article says... great article too!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 11

I recommend Antonia's method also. It is easy to do and most importantly it woks!

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 11

you can also use mmf cut with the same cutter that you cut your cookeis with and that will leave a small border also.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertac

My question is how do you make to ice the cookie without letting the icing coming to the edge For instance, in some pumpkins I really like the way you ice it without covering it completely.

Well I am not sure if I am explaining it right, but I am convinced you will help me.

Thank you artists thumbs_up.gif

I wonder if the ones you saw were covered in MMF......because you use the same cookie cutter for the MMF as you did for the cookie and the cookies spread a little while baking...the mmf ends up being slightly smaller than the cookie although the exact same shape.

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 11

i just did my first batch of cookies EVER and i followed antonia's method and it worked splendidly!!!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 11

I just made some nfsc with antonias recipe and it was super easy .. and this was a first time for me ... I havent posted pics yet (have to borrow camera first) but I was very pleased at how mine came out .. some pumpkins did overfull around the stems a little but I dont think that would have happened if I would have built a dam first .. but I was impatient and just wanted to frost those bad boys!! icon_biggrin.gif

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 11

prior to CC and MMF (and probably will still do at christmas) we made a simple base glaze with powdered sugar and a little milk, not too thin. I iced the cookies with a butter knife or small offset spatula starting from the middle and not letting the icing run off the sides...

I really like the mmf method, though, it is just VERY time consuming (prep time to make the mmf, roll it out, and cut - do it before you cut and bake the cookies so you can lay the mmf on as soon as they come out of the oven)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%