Buttermilk

Baking By sahara Updated 5 Nov 2006 , 12:08am by Ursula40

sahara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahara Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 9

when a recipe calls for buttermilk 1 cup, do i use powder or liquid? are they interchangeable? thanks

8 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 9

I always use the liquid and I that is what the recipe is calling for. If you use the powdered, add water to make it liquid for the same amount the recipe calls for before adding.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 9

when a recipe calls for buttermilk, it is usually the liquid portion of the recipe.

can't you reconstitute the powdered buttermilk? if so, i don't see why you couldn't use it.

hth

jeanne

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 9

use the liquid.

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 9

When baking I use the powdered in place of liquid simply because I don't use enough buttermilk to justify keeping it on hand and then having it spoil before I use it. On the can of powdered, it will tell you how much liquid to use. I haven't had any problems with it.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 9

I'm so glad someone posted about this!! I have been wondering about the powdered stuff......I don't use enough liquid buttermild to justify buying it either. Has anyone else used this and does it come out the same (or close) to the real stuff? It sure would be a big help to me if it works!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 9

some people swear they can't tell the difference in the end product as far as using the liquid vs powder. i used both and have noticed that my fudge brownie cake is more "fudgy" when i used the liquid.

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 9

I think it comes out pretty close to using the real stuff. If you took the same recipe and made it both ways you could probably tell but I bet if you didn't tell anyone, they would never know. icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:08am
post #9 of 9

I don't get buttermilk here in China, so I just put 2 tbsp vinegar into milk and let it sit for 10 min. It does make the cakes very moist

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%