To Those That Live On Military Bases

Decorating By pappyny Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 2:30am by thephotolady

pappyny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pappyny Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #1 of 6

I have a question regarding how you price your cakes/cookies. I find it hard to compare prices to the local bakeries because my only sales would be to those living on base. Do you charge per serving or 2-3x or supplies?
Also, do you find you have to have lower prices to compare to the commissay or local stores even though your product is better? Do most people realize the time and effort that goes into you cake or cookies?

Sorry about all the questions!

Karyn

5 replies
CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:15am
post #2 of 6

I don't live on base but I do live in a town that revolves around a major Marine Corps base. My cake prices start at $3 per serving. I don't worry about competing with the commissary or supermarket chains because they can't do what I do. icon_cool.gif

pappyny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pappyny Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 6

anyone else?

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 6

Hey Cherrybomb-
What base? I used to live in Jacksonville, near Camp Lejuene

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 6

98% of my business is Military.

The comissary does not compare- they do flat cakes-10 min to work on them- slapped together. Some are doing wedding cakes but still no comparison.

If you are targeting the military consumer, you probably aren't going for the um..lower enlisted that would be inclined to buy a comissary or a walmart cake anyway. You need to be more expensive than them so you can get the clients that would go to a bakery instead of a quickie cake.

Your best market would be senior enlisted and upper officers- they have just as much money as non military to spend on cakes.

It might not be this way for everyone- but for me, Senior Enlisted (E7-E9) spend more $$ on one cake than do jr. officers- They want big elegant cakes- because they've 'worked their way up" . The younger officers (wives) seem to want a lot more stuff but don't want to pay for it-They'll come to you because you are known to be the "cake person" to get-but they'll order the cheapest... Above 0-5 they are back to expecting an expensive cake, but want cleaner- elegant stuff- without the gaudiness. They'll come to you for reputation- and they will pass on your name if you make an impression on them.

thephotolady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thephotolady Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:30am
post #6 of 6

hi
i live in south carolina near the military bases. is there a way i can advertise on base? there are not many cake decorators here except for the real high end bakery and the low end chain stores.
thanks for any help. it is very much appreciated.
thephotolady

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%