Why Did You Start?

Decorating By GinaJuarez Updated 21 Jul 2005 , 4:57am by tcturtleshell

Catbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catbird Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 2:13am
post #31 of 35

My Grandmother and Mother always cooked from scratch so I was taught that way and growing up with 3 brothers and no sisters, I spent alot of time in the kitchen when I married and had the girls I thought every thing was suppose to be from scratch. When my girls, first started school they would come home and say can you believe that so and so's Mom sent cookies, cakes or ect to school today and they were store bought!!!!!!!! of course I was sending homemade goodies, soon the girls would come home and say we are having a party at school and we are to bring whatever it was!!!!

I started out baking for family, school etc. recently decided that I would go in business with my Mother and open a Bakery and Tea Room
I work 8-5 now as an administrative assistant but would love to quit and bake and decorate full time!!!!!

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 3:54am
post #32 of 35

These stories are great! Seems like a repeating theme in most of them...got into it to bake for our kiddos or families. My reason was the same...3 sons, I quit working to care for them and we were trying to survive on one income! Took a Wilton Course I with my SIL 22 years ago and did cakes for family and friends. Our boys started getting older and I branched out with wedding cakes. Never thought I could do big cakes like I do now, and I am always surprised when they turn out well. I learn a lot through reading and cake sites and love it when I get ideas from fellow cake decorators on the internet! Happy Decorating Everybody!

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 4:07am
post #33 of 35

I started baking and decorating when I was 15 I was doing birhtday cakes and holy communion cakes etc., for family and I really enjoyed it, everyone thought my cakes were nice even though they were primitive. Any way after a break of almost 25 years I decided to take it up again and really love it, the only problem is I am not that confident and knock back a lot of orders. to this day I still haven't charged any one for a cake that I have made because I don't think that are as good as you can buy in the stores. I guess it treat it like a hobby and if someone can benefit from having one of my cakes for a birthday, engagement etc., I am happy to be able to supply it.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 4:14am
post #34 of 35

I have always loved to bake. Like lots of others I started after I had my first child and have been doing it since 1974. I just love it. I have branched out from cakes since the 70's to candies and cookies as well.

I just can't get enough of it. I do a lot of cakes for girls at my church that get married, as my gift but they supply the ingredients. Those are the ones I enjoy doing the most. And believe it or not I usually do my best on them, because I am not as pressured about how much money they are paying me to do their cake.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 4:57am
post #35 of 35

My friend Tammy (tcrema) came for a visit 1 year ago. She was crazy over decorating! She stayed w/ me for a week. She finally talked me into taking the Wilton Courses at Michael's. She even went w/ me to sign up so I would do it! My dream was always to learn how to do flower arrangements & decorate. I'd like to become a florist one day. Anyway... my 14 yr old daughter (at the time) wanted to take the Course w/ me. We both took 1 together! Then she decided to quit because of Fire Dept training. I kept at it & the rest is history!! I thought I would be doing bday cakes & that's it. I finished the courses in Dec 04'. Then Jan 05' I got my first call to do a wedding & groom's cake!!!!!! The wedding was in March so I had 2 mths to get better. Well I did it!! Here I am on my 5th wedding cake now.... I never thought that I would be good at it!! I LOVE CAKE DECORATING!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%