Hey All You Air Brush Experts Or Anyone Who Uses One....

Decorating By Schmoop Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 10:16pm by aubrazacmom

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:11am
post #1 of 24

I used my air brush for the first time tonight and WOW it is awesome! I made apumpkin cake and it looks so real but, I want to do some shadowing in the creases with brown. My question, I am afraid to mess it up, how far do I hold the brush away and how do I just get it in the creases? Did that make sense?

Also, do I let the color I just airbrushed on dry before I do the highlighting...how long should I wait if I do. And, do you take apart your brush and use that cleaner stuff after you are done with your cake, before storing?

So many questions...

Thanks!
Michelle

23 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:25am
post #2 of 24

Hi Michelle!
Isn't airbrushing awesome?!! I love my airbrush! thumbs_up.gif Does your air compressor have variable air pressure? If it does (I can only tell you if it does, since mine does and I have no experience with those that don't), then turn your pressure down a little and get pretty close (say 2-3") squeeze the trigger *very gently* and you should be able to get very fine lines. You can kind of play with it from there. Pulling further away will increase the spray radius.
I usually only use my cleaner solution if I've used black or white. Other than that, I just run some hot water through it and that seems to work just fine.
Hope that helps! Oh, and if you've saturated the area w/airbrush ink, let it dry a few minutes before adding any more color. Otherwise, you shouldn't need to let it dry between colors.
Someone on this board gave me a really great tip when I first got my airbrush to buy a cheap coloring book and practice airbrushing in that. It really helped me a lot!

Schmoop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:32am
post #3 of 24

Great info momsandraven! I think I will practice with a coloring book a few times before I add the crease shadowing. I did not practice at all, just went for it with airbrushing the whole thing. I don't have variable pressure, but I think I can regulate it with how far I pull the lever back.

BTW...what causes splatters on the cake? Am not holding the the little lever steady or something? Only got a few, no big deal, just curious for future.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 8:09am
post #4 of 24

Spitting and splattering can come from a slightly bent tip, or a dirty brush, or your colors to thick. Are you using the airbrush colors? I use the cleaner when I am through with a project. Be careful not to breathe the fumes. I always rinse afterwards with water to make sure there is no more cleaner in the cup. Also be careful with the tip, they can bend and cause problems. I always keep a back-up just in case. If you take the whole thing apart, make sure you remember how it goes back together, and be careful pulling the needle out, and putting it back in. Good Luck with your airbrushing.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 9:02am
post #5 of 24

i just got my dh an airbrush to paint his models, for his birthday on monday. i can't wait for him to open it cause i want to use it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he swears he can clean it well enough we can both use it

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 11:20am
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmom

i just got my dh an airbrush to paint his models, for his birthday on monday. i can't wait for him to open it cause i want to use it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he swears he can clean it well enough we can both use it

icon_surprised.gif ...I would think about that. There still might be paint residue in there, even if you are cleaning it really well.

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 24

You can get another brush fairly cheap, and just share a compressor.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 24

Alaskan mom,

Everyone is right!!! I would not use the same brush.Buy yourself one specifically for cakes.

Schmoop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks everyone! I finished the pumpkin part with shadowing and it looks pretty good...in fact I keep going back to the fridge to look at it and thinking to myself, 'I made that?"

When the rest is done, I will post a pic for critique.

Thanks again!
Michelle

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 24

well i totally agree and am glad to hear you all do to. will get a seperate airbrush for cakes!

Schmoop Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:03am
post #11 of 24

OK...here it is. Thanks everyone for the help! I still cannot believe I made this icon_eek.gif , and really was pretty easy and not as time consuming as most of my cakes. SO GLAD I GOT AN AIR BRUSH!!!!!!!!!!
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:18am
post #12 of 24

That is definitely an awesome cake!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:33am
post #13 of 24

What is a good airbrush? I think I might be interested but dont know what to even look for.

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 24

Bumping equipment recommendations ?

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 24

I know a lot of CC'ers use a Kopykake airbrush, I used to work in a bakery and used a Kroma Jet, and I now own my own professional model airbrush and mine is made by Magic-Mist. I think they are all built about the same.

My airbrush was fairly costly...I highly recommend shopping around to find the best value for your money!

(ps: LESSON LEARNED--never, NEVER take your airbrush apart...completely...at 2:00am! Not a good thing when you are sleepy...I thought I would never get that &%[email protected] thing back together! It really needed to be cleaned well, and is now working like a charm! But, I will never take it apart again without paying VERY close attention to what I am doing!)

leigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 24

WOW! That is an awesome paint job! For being your first time using an air brush I think you did a wonderful job!

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:32pm
post #17 of 24

A very good brush at for an excellant deal is the Paasche VSR90 at dixieart.com. $64.95 shipped. Comes with extras. If you need a compressor and a brush the best deal is at bearair.com. You can get the KopyKake Airmaster plus compressor (which is the upgrade) for $159, plus the Passche for $62.13. Under $250 shipped for all the upgrades. You can get the compressor with either automatic shutoff, or a foot pedal.

Schmoop Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 24

Thaks for the compliments and all the help again!

I got the Kopykake Kroma Jet. I thought it worked great, it is the basic one.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #19 of 24

Schmoop, that is fantastic. thumbs_up.gif I hope mine will turn out as well. What method did you end of using for the shading? Did you use brown under the orange or over it? Did you start with yellow? I used my airbrush for some fall maple leaves this weekend and they turned out pretty good. They're posted to my pics. What do you think?

Schmoop Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 24

formerbuckeye Your leaves look great! I have to make some leaves fpr a couple Thanksgiving cakes...what colors did you use and what order did they go on?

I put a yellow base on the pumkin, then orange, then highlighted the creases with brown, then put avery light mis of brown all over to tone down the orange. I cannot believe how easy it was! Thanksfor the compliment.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 7:19pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoop

formerbuckeye Your leaves look great! I have to make some leaves fpr a couple Thanksgiving cakes...what colors did you use and what order did they go on?

I put a yellow base on the pumkin, then orange, then highlighted the creases with brown, then put avery light mis of brown all over to tone down the orange. I cannot believe how easy it was! Thanksfor the compliment.

Thanks for the compliment. I put a thin coat of MMF on the cookies right after they came out of the oven. After the fondant melted and cooled completely, I experimented with several different base colors. I think that putting a light-medium base of yellow gives the brightest results. I use KopyKake colors. Then I just randomly airbrushed with red and orange and hit highlights with green. The only thing I would do differently, is that I would put the veins on last and maybe use green instead of brown. I put them on first and they sort of disappeared under the other colors so I used a fine paintbrush on some of them. It was okay, but not quite what I had hoped for. I brought them to work today and my co-workers gobbled them up though! icon_lol.gif

I love, love your pumpkin. I will try the same method. As I said earlier in your post, that was my thought too to put the brown in the creases under the orange. It worked! Great job!! thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 7:25pm
post #22 of 24

Fantastic job on the pumpkin! WOW! I love my airbrush too, couldn't live without it now. But my number one baby will always be my kk projector. : )

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 8:42pm
post #23 of 24

I would love the airbrush to if I could make cakes like that keep up the great work

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:16pm
post #24 of 24

Love your cake you did a fantastic job. Makes me want to ask Santa for an airbrush for Christmas icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%