Something Chewed On My State Fair Entry ...

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 4:33am by rcs

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:10am
post #1 of 29

Couldn't believe it - went to pick up my cake that took grand champ at our County Fair from a friend of ours who was keeping it at her house in a spare bed room. I had taken it there because she is a total neat freak and the bed room was never used since her son moved out on his own.
Any way it was put up on top of a six drawer tall dresser.

Well when we take it out of the room we noticed something has been chewing on the cake (mice??? icon_eek.gif YUCK) = around the bottom layer, chewed on the dress, chewed most all of the stripes around the bottom - some of them completely off. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif To say the least she is mortified!! icon_redface.gif And I am totally disappointed . icon_cry.gif ... don't know if I will have time to get repairs made - in the process of making a wedding cake and one full sheet b-day cake both with figures. Cake must be ready to go on the 3rd.

Here is a link to a post with pics of the cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=451143&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
[/img]

Sometimes life can be so depressing.

28 replies
cakesbybert Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:28am
post #2 of 29

Well now I'm really depressed .... thanks a whole lot for the support out there icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:32am
post #3 of 29

Gee.. you gave us all of 18 minutes to notice the thread!

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #4 of 29

Your cake is really beautiful and I hope you can fix it because it certainly looks like a prize winner to me.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #5 of 29

Really beautiful cake. I am sorry that something decided to nibble on the cake and hope that you can get it repaired in the time you have.

You probably hadn't gotten any responses by the time you made your second post, because there is a significant delay between when you post and when it appears on the front page. I know I didn't see this thread until kansaslaura had responded.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #6 of 29

WOW that is so awful. The cake was gorgeous. Your poor friend too. We had a mouse in our house once and I was so mortified I never told a soul, and it didn't even destroy anything. Her, she has one (ICKK!) and it ruined your stunning piece of art. Bad for her, WORST of course for you.

I hope you have time to make repairs, it sounds like, at least, it only got to the bottom layer??

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:53am
post #7 of 29

So sorry this happened to you. I really hope you have time to fix it.
(((((((HUGS)))))

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:57am
post #8 of 29

(Trying to be light hearted here) icon_smile.gif
Maybe you should have used Wilton fondant - we all know how inedible that stuff is!!

So sorry to hear that this happened. At least there is a chance for repair. You could have waited till the 3rd to pick it up and had zero chance to repair it. That would really be depressing.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:12am
post #9 of 29

I am sorry to hear about your cake, that can be very depressing. Your friend must feel horrible. I saw the pictures of your cake and it is beautiful! I am sure with your skills you wil be able to make repairs. Good luck!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 7:03am
post #10 of 29

I hope you can fix your cake! It's beautiful!!! I'll look for it at the fair!!

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:53am
post #11 of 29

Your cake is beautiful! Here's hoping repairs will be easy- and you kick a$$ at the fair! thumbs_up.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 9:17am
post #12 of 29

I KNOW the work that went into your cake, and I'm so sorry this happened to you....... I hope she gets her "varmit", and I hope you can make repairs and get BEST OF SHOW....... Did you take "after" pictures ?

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 9:56am
post #13 of 29

I think the only way to make yourself feel better is to try your best to fix it and enter it anyway. Otherwise it will always be that winner that "could have been!" I'm betting that the craftsmanship that went into your cake will still outshine the others even with the repairs!!

GOOD LUCK AND ((((((((HUGS)))))))

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 10:05am
post #14 of 29

I feel awful for you. But I know with that kind of craftsmanship and talent you have you could do as much repair as needed and you still can dance circles around your county fair competition! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbybert Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:34pm
post #15 of 29

Thank you for all the supporting posts. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know if I'll have time to fix it or not.

Sorry for the second post, I made I really needed to hear some support - I have no one else to talk to. After seeing 9 views and no responses its kind of easy to become really depressesd.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #16 of 29

The cake was absolutely stunning, I'm so sorry that this happened. I hope you will be able to repair the damage.

[Not to be a spoil sport... I didn't think you could enter a cake in a competition (at least not in my area) that had already won at another event. Where I live you can only enter a previous winner as a display, not to be judged. However, I have never tried to compete at the state level. So, please correct me if I'm wrong.]

Please note: Must add disclaimer to post, LOL! I am not trying to be rude. I seriously was asking to know, not trying to offend anyone.

cakesbybert Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:12pm
post #17 of 29

In our area the county fairs are the stepping stone to the state fair. In fact some parts of the fair (4H foods, photo etc) you can not even go to the state fair unless you got at least a purple at the county fair level.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:33pm
post #18 of 29

I feel so bad for you! I just felt horrible looking at that beautiful cake--please, please try to make repairs--it will be so worth it if you can squeeze out the time! I don't know where you are in KS, but this OKIE is pulling for you!!!!!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegrahamcracker

Thank you for all the supporting posts. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know if I'll have time to fix it or not.

Sorry for the second post, I made I really needed to hear some support - I have no one else to talk to. After seeing 9 views and no responses its kind of easy to become really depressesd.

There are always times we all feel like this and do the same things.
Keep your chin up, your oven pre-heated and your icing flowing!
GIRL YOU GOT THIS! icon_biggrin.gif

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #20 of 29

I'm sooo sorry that some creature messed up such a stunnig creation! I hope you have time to make the necessary repairs before the 3rd--I'll be sending up little prayers for you! Your friend is probably upset too,but mice will enter in even the cleanest place if they get a tiny space to squeeze in!! Please keep your spirits up and DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO !!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 11:44am
post #21 of 29

I'm so sorry that happened-I LOVE your cake-it totally deserved Grand Champion! I hope you have time to fix it before the state fair. It's beautiful!

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #22 of 29

OMG! How horrible for you!

Damned little mice!!! They climb up dressers with no problems.
Yes, they love sugar. I discovered that when we had a kitchen mouse eating through my bags of icing sugar. icon_mad.gif (expensive little varmit!)

That is a spectacular cake...a work of genius. icon_smile.gif I pray you can do some repairs.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:19pm
post #23 of 29

littlegrahamcracker'
Your cake looks wonderful! And so many firsts too! Wow! Congrats on the Grand Champion award! Darn mice. I live in a very old farm house and mice are my worry whenever I have to have a cake sit out in a box over night before delivery. I always figure even if I never ever see one it WILL come after this cake. I do hope that you'll have time to make the necessary repairs so you can go to the State Fair. I had just been thinking of taking our 2 granddaughters to the State Fair this year in Hutchinson. And I'm not even sure of the dates. So get your repairs done and get to that fair girl.

By the way where are you in Kansas?? I'm in Richmond.

Good luck,
Carol

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:02pm
post #24 of 29

Wow! I am so sorry that this happened to your cake. It is one of the prettiest cakes I have ever seen!! I hope you'll get it repaired in time. It was GORGEOUS!

Ashlee

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:21pm
post #25 of 29

Maybe you could make some mothballs out of fondant and put them next to the cake and act like you meant to do it that way...lol...sorry...I'm not much help...

maybe you can borrow my cat that licked the frosting off the top of my cake today (posted rant here today). you know since they both like frosting so much...btw...she can keep the cat after he catches her fat, sweet, NAUGHTY mouse!

Wal-Mart is saving me...I pray you will be able to fix it!!!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:41pm
post #26 of 29

Your cake is absolutely beautiful. The colors remind me of the 4 seasons cake that Collette Peters made on one of FNs challanges.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #27 of 29

I know this is a little late, but your work is wonderful, and even if you can't fix it to your satifaction, I think it is still a price winner. Unfortunetly these things happen. And as I am learning in the world of cake decorating, we have very little control over some of the oddest things. Just keep on decorating and with your talent you will go far! Still it's hard not to be a bit disappointed though!

phoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoohbear Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:31am
post #28 of 29

Congradulations on your first prize masters division win!!!!!! This was my first time entering the Ks state fair too. I won first in the professional division (I did the partying piggies). I was in aw when I seen your cake and then I was browsing CC and found you on here. I just wanted to let you know that it came out beautiful. Grate Job! you deserved it!!!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #29 of 29

I saw your cake, too! It was absolutely beautiful in person also! Congratulations! Phoohbears cake is really cute, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%