Your Favorite Fondant

Decorating By msmeg Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 1:57am by alanahodgson

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing my first paid fondant wedding cake in a month so I need to order the fondant

What is your favorite fondant for taste and ease of work

how many make their own ( not mmf)

also I assume I need to order extra just in case how much extra should I have on hand

9 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 10

I make my own using Toba Garretts recipe which can be found in the recipe files here at CC. IMO it is hands down the best in taste. It is easy to work with and is very inexpensive to make compared to buying premade fondants. If you do not want to make your own for some reason then I would recommend Satin Ice for purchased.
icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 10

I like Pettinice. But I have never tried the Satin Ice. Is it a lot like Pettinice?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 10

What Teekakes said, only in reverse (because I'm too lazy to make my own). icon_biggrin.gif

If I weren't lucky enough to be able to buy Satin Ice in bulk from a wholesaler here in Houston (and thus not pay shipping charges), I would make Toba's fondant.

(psst...hi Lea! *waves*)

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 10

I too would suggest Satin Ice if you purchase it. You can find it in several colors and sizes at www.intotheoven.com . I've only used the black, but was very happy with it. I've never worked with FondX, but recieved the samples, and they tasted quite nice. I believe you can order that from www.caljavaonline.com .

I recently tried making real fondant from scratch usine Elisa Strauss' recipe from the "Confetti Cakes" book. I was very happy with the results. I hear a lot of people raving about Toba Garrett's fondant as well.

Edited because my fingers and brain just are not connected today. dunce.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

What Teekakes said, only in reverse (because I'm too lazy to make my own). icon_biggrin.gif

If I weren't lucky enough to be able to buy Satin Ice in bulk from a wholesaler here in Houston (and thus not pay shipping charges), I would make Toba's fondant.

(psst...hi Lea! *waves*)

Hi Sherri! *waves back* icon_biggrin.gif
Taking another break from painting the upstairs living room and thought I would check emails.
I have a large batch of fondant to get made up in the next day or two for a little girls princess barbie cake coming up soon. Got an order for a boobie cake icon_surprised.gif for a guys 40th bday party too so will need plenty of fondant made up and ready to go for those two cakes. Thank God this is the last of the painting to be done in our home! I would MUCH rather be baking and painting cakes!! Although, I actually enjoy painting walls I am simply ready to be finished with painting the entire house.
You off work today? Hope you are having fun! icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 10

Satin Ice has my vote, as always!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

(psst...hi Lea! *waves*)

Hi,
Would you mind revealing where to buy it and how much it costs? I m tired of making my own fondant. icon_rolleyes.gif

KakesandKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesandKids Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:37am
post #9 of 10

I like Fondx the best and Satin Ice #2. I don't like MMf at all but do like Toba's.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 10

I prefer michele fosters recipe here at CC to tobas. I have tried pettinice and thought it had a chemical taste/smell. Easy to work with but michele fosters is equally easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%