Help!!!! Gas Stove

Decorating By ATLcutiepieDST Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 2:43am by ATLcutiepieDST

ATLcutiepieDST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATLcutiepieDST Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all. I posted this topic late last night and did not get a response. But, I am posting it again because I really need some help. I have a gas stove and I am trying desperately to get used to it. All my life I have used electric and when I bought my house I did not payattention to the fact that it had a gas stove. Anyway........Everytime I bake soemthing new, I have to "test" it unwillingly. Meaning its trial and error. I made a pound cake last night in the house pan and the recipe said put the stove on 320. I put it on 300 because I knew from previous experiences that gas bakes the outside fast and leaves the inside undone. This still did not help. It still was burned because the outside was done and the middle wasn't. So, I left it in. Does ANYONE have a recommendation as to what temperature a gas stove should be when baking. Like if the recipe say 320, how far down should I go to get perfect results. I am wasting time and money. HELP!!!!HELP!!!!!HELP!!!!

9 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 10

I am the opposite, I am used to a gas stove and don't like the electric stoves (because I am not used to them). I would get an oven thermometer and see what temp your oven is truly baking at, then you can adapt your recipes from there. Also, when baking cakes, use a flower nail or baking strips, that will help to bake more evenly............... thumbs_up.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 10

The oven thermometer is the way to go. I have a gas range and a gas industrial oven, yo see electricity is more expensive here. But the thermometer should help you because the altitud from where you are can make a difference. Also the thermometer should tell you if your oven is working properly.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 10

I cooked with gas for years and it turned out great cakes.

Get a thermometer and test to see if the temperatures are running true.
If the temp. on the thermometer is different than your setting, call in some one to adjust the temperature setting. It will save you the hassle of having to remember that 350 is actually 373.2 or some such.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 10

i think u most definately need a thermometer.. also, I check my cakes a LOT more frequently becasue my oven acts a da__ fool all the time.. I can be baking on 350 and the oven will go up to like 425 for nothing.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 10

I have to say I LOVE my new gas range... when I set it at a temp it is at that temp and has a digital readout showing me what it is.

get a thermometer and I believe a repair man can calibrate the oven.

ATLcutiepieDST Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I will definitely use it. YOu guys have been really helpful.

ATLcutiepieDST Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:32am
post #8 of 10

Oh yeah. How do you do the inverted flower nail thing?

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 10

ATL................
before you put the batter in your pan, spray a flower nail with cooking spray (or grease it with cake release or something)..........place head side down in the pan, then pour your batter in..........so logically, when you flip the pan over to get the cake out, the nail head will be on top, and you can simply pull it out of the cake............

ATLcutiepieDST Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #10 of 10

Thanks. I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%