What Is Classic Style Cupcakes?

Decorating By learnee Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 7:37pm by -Tubbs

learnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnee Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 8

I need help.
Someone wants to order 200 cupcakes for a wedding.
He wants them in multiple flavors and styles.
He specifically said "We don't like fluffy Safeway style frosting but more classic styles cupcakes. "

Can someone give me an idea on what is a "classic style cupcake"?

I would really appreciate it.

7 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

I'd like to know the answer to classic cupcake also. Here's a bump.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 8

I would guess that they want standard buttercream made with shortening and butter and not that whipped frosting that is kinda pastry like. Make a few sample cupcakes with your frosting and ask if that is what he had in mind.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 8

I think your best bet is to call the client and ask. Don't worry just make a joke of it and get his view point. For all you know, it might be your idea of a regular cupcake icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 8

To me a classic cupcake would have the frosting put on with a spatula and not piped with a star tip.

Classic would be more home-made looking to me.

I think you need to arm yourself with a few ideas and then like sugarbakers05 said. call your potential client and ask.

Good Luck.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

Like sugarbaker and gateaux said, give him a call. For you know it could be what his mama made him! I'd much rather ask a lot of questions up front, than assume something and have an unhappy client!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 8

my thoughts...

classic STORE cupcake : 1m swirl tip with sugary sweet shortening/sugar "buttercream"

classic HOMEMADE cupcake: swirled with the back of a spoon with real butter buttercream.

good point that someone made with the difference in icings (ie: whipped icing). i had only thought of the decorative aspect. i agree that you should call and ask and if they are unable to explain, do a batch of cupcakes decorated differently, and have them point it out and taste the different icings.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 8

Probably means he doesn't want that grocery store icing you have to scrape off your tongue after you've eaten it!
Agree with everyone else, call and check exactly what he wants - even make some samples because a big order like that it's important to get it right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%