My Daughter Wants A "regular" Cake!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 4:00pm by kansaslaura

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 54

Well, I got my marching orders last night! My 15 year old wants me to make her a "regular" cake.

"Just chocolate cake with chocolate icing .... from the can! Cut in triangles, not cut like a wedding cake! No borders, no flowers, just regular cake!"

I said, "But what if I can't make just a "regular" cake? And I dont' remember how to NOT cut a cake like a wedding cake!" icon_rolleyes.gif

She said, "Oh geesh, just pretend you're a regular housewife and you've no idea how to do cakes except the REGULAR way!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So I'm playing "regular" housewife today. Chocolate cake with canned chocolate icing, cut into triangles.

Oh geesh I just remembered I forgot to get the ice cream she wanted! icon_surprised.gif

53 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 54

Good luck Debbie that would be a hard one for me also icon_sad.gif LOL I want to decorate EVERYTHING in BC icon_biggrin.gif

And Happy Birthday to the Bday girl icon_biggrin.gif

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 54

LOL!!

My kids still want the huge, extravagant castles and buildings. My dd has her next 3 birthday cakes picked out! (They are 7,6 and 3...just waiting for the baby to start picking hers out.)

Missy

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 54

I had a UTI on my son's last birthday. He got Walmart cake. You know, it wasn't bad either.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 54

I made my first attempt at gum paste flowers this weekend. When my son asked me what I was doing, and I told him, his reply was, "Just don't put those things on MY cake. I want regular flowers" (buttercream).

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 54

LOL That is hilarious!!! My daughter told me for her 16th birthday next year, that she wants a "Huge" cake! lol Kids...

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 54

Maybe you can purchase one from a bakery!? icon_wink.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 54

oh, Debi, you can do this!! the stuff from a can...chocalate anyways...is actually quite good (I like to eat it right out of the can). As for cutting...just pretend you are cutting a pie...I'm sure you can do that?! Seriously...that's very funny! Happy Birthday to your daughter!! Jodie

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Maybe you can purchase one from a bakery!? icon_wink.gif

Oh heck, you should see the fit I throw when she brings Oreo's into the house. She reminds me that I dont' MAKE Oreo's .... I can't figure out her point! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 54

Debbie maybe you could buy the can of frosting....empty it ...put your icing in it and then voila icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 54

Ok, I just proved I CAN'T do a "regular" cake! icon_redface.gif

- A small piece of the cake broke off when I flipped it out of the pan.
- I 'fixed' it by using icing to glue the broken piece back into place after it cooled.
- When icing it, the cake attached to the knife so I had to deal with cake crumbs and trying to put the cake back into place while dealing with a sticky knife.

THen I had to argue with her that yes, she HAD to wait until after dinner to eat it. She asked "Were there any trim jobs?" I said, "Sure was!" She got a big grin and headed toward the kitchen, when I yelled, 'They're in the trash can .... but it's a new trash bag!" ( icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am SO evil!!! Wha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!). She walked back in with that "you are SO stupid" look on her face, telling me "Not funny, mom!" (Oh I don't know! *I* got a big kick out of it!)

So oh my gosh, give me a 3-tier wedding cake to do anytime! These slap-it-together cakes give me a headache!!

How do those "regular" moms deal with this!! icon_surprised.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 54

Debbie-Honestly, I get it. When I was in college the cafeteria always served excellent bread which was made on site. The first couple of weeks of the school year we loved it, but by Thanksgiving plain old white bread from the grocery store was what we craved. Go figure! An ordinary chocolate cake without decorations sounds good to me. Although I would draw the line at the canned frosting. I agree with her about Oreos- they are in a class by themselves.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 54

Be happy she wanted a cake at all. icon_smile.gif
After years of making cakes for others, no one in my house will eat cake anymore. The last birthday cake I made for my son was when he was 12...he'll be 20 in December. In fact, a while back, when he came home from college for the weekend, he came in the house and yelled "What smells so good?...oh never mind, it's just cake." icon_rolleyes.gif

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ok, I just proved I CAN'T do a "regular" cake! icon_redface.gif

- I 'fixed' it by using icing to glue the broken piece back into place after it cooled.
- When icing it, the cake attached to the knife so I had to deal with cake crumbs and trying to put the cake back into place while dealing with a sticky knife.

But Debbie, that is the perfect description of a regular housewife mom doing a regular housewife cake!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:41pm
post #15 of 54

Don't feel bad. My son turned 15 last month and when I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, he said "A Shakes cake." For those of you who don't have a Shakes, it is a frozen custard franchise that makes delicious ice cream! But my son would rather have had one of their ice cream cakes than a custom cake from mom. His explanation? "I get to eat your cake all the time."

wgoat5 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #16 of 54

I'M tired of my cakes...I can't even imagine what my dear family is going through LOL

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 54
Quote:

Well there's where you blew it right there! If the frosting comes from a can, the cake gets iced in the pan! That's the motto in my house! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:01pm
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabanya

Quote:

Well there's where you blew it right there! If the frosting comes from a can, the cake gets iced in the pan! That's the motto in my house! icon_lol.gif

Dang! You're right! ( big V-8 moment as she slaps her forehead!)

So she has her cake after dinner and I ask her "How's your cake?"

She grins and says, "Mmmmmm! Deliciously generic!" icon_lol.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:02pm
post #19 of 54

Don't let it bother you. My kids have not wanted decorated cakes for quite some time. I was kind of glad, so much less work. This last year my youngest wanted chocolate chip cookies and my husband wanted peanut butter cookies. So that's what they got!

The first couple of times they requested undecorated cakes, they tried to apologize and said they loved my decorating, but just wanted something plain. Since it's no longer a big deal, they ask for cheesecake, cookies, pound cake, etc. It's fine by me. It their birthday, so I try to make it special for them.

Now....when they get married, I'm sure that will be a totally different story! icon_smile.gif

Michele

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:02pm
post #20 of 54

Of course, there's the opposite side of the coin. When my daughter was in college which was 8 hours away from home by car, I asked her what she missed most about home. She said it was having cake scraps and icing for breakfast on Sunday morning!

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:15pm
post #21 of 54

My family always wants "regular" cakes too. My dad always says "I don't want none of that Hard stuff on it. Us old people don't like hard frosting" He's referring to MMF.

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #22 of 54

My oldest daughter was over this afternoon and I was telling her this story. She said, 'I know JUST how she feels!" She said they want my "regular" white cake with white BC filling covered in white BC icing. Told me, "We dont' want it torted, we dont' want it to have 3 different fillings in it....we just want your good white cake with white icing."

(Big sigh!) Gosh, I envy all you folks who have family who LIKE you to practice new things on them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:00am
post #23 of 54

My son only lets me make him cookie cakes. You know like you get at the mall........huge choc chip cookie with just a bit of trim.

Gotta love that sticky gooey canned chocolate icing though!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #24 of 54

For birthdays, my kids still love elaborate cakes (at 14). This past weekend, my family asked for a plain ole cake--a pound cake, with no glaze, fillings, frostings,etc. Just plain pound cake, which is my DH's favorite and his choice of birthday cake every year.
This year I'm planning to make my own birthday cake and I want it big and spectacular--just to say I did it

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:40am
post #25 of 54

OMG!!! Here is a post I did yesterday on another board. "My son asked me to bake his birthday cake and said he wanted a yellow box cake with . . . . CANNED chocolate frosting. Obvisously they are totally unimpressed with my cake decorating skills. So what the heck do ya do with that?

GLAD I'M NOT ALONE. Someone said he probably wanted it as "comfort food". I think they were right.
LL

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #26 of 54

My son loves my cakes. However, he is easy to please. He'll eat anything I put his name on- or spiderman.

My husband is not a fan of cake. He is testing many of my recipes though, and he will be honest about them. For my husband's birthday, he always wants cheesecake-- plain-- no topping at all. That was also his groom's cake at our wedding.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #27 of 54

I feel for ya... This year, my oldest son wanted a cheesecake (with cherry pie filling on top) - and my youngest son wanted a pumpkin pie.

I think maybe they're "all caked out". *sigh*

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #28 of 54

Glad to know it's not just my house. My oldest DD graduated from high school last year. We had a huge party. Her only request was NO cake icon_eek.gif . I said fine. I'm busy with all the food anyway. Well, she didn't want cake at her party, but everyone else that came through my house was expecting cake. I am still hearing about it. Even though I explained that it was her party and she didn't want any cake, people are still giving me a hard time. Kids.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:02am
post #29 of 54

OMG you guys have me cracking up! my kids are little and we have a TON of cousins and other family i'm constantly cranking out cakes for. "regular" would be a relief for me! (frosted in the pan -maybe with oreos on it!) i just had a flash of the red-haired lady from desperate housewives -is it Brie? she would not be having that kind of "regular" cake!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:02am
post #30 of 54

And I thought my kids were the only ones that didn't want cake anymore. My husband even asked for a plain old chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for his birthday. When I do make a cake to try something new or to practice I take it to work, it just will not get eaten at home. It is a good thing I work for a big company.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%