Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By brendakay Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 2:24am by fronklowes

brendakay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendakay Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 7

im needing HELP!!!! i need photos on how to make gum paste and fondant flowers the class my company put on wasnt helpful at all!!! can any one show me how!!1

6 replies
jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 7

I think there are some tutorials on here about how to make gumpaste flowers. I haven't worked with it yet, so I don't know. Check out the articles section on this site.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 7

Your best bet is to buy some books or videos. I did take a few classes from a woman where I live. The rest I learned from books and videos.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 7

I am a visual person and do better if I see something done. There are many gumpaste flower books around, Nic Lodge, Scott Clark Woolley and my very favorite Alan Dunn, but I wouldn't consider any of those beginners level. Look on eBAY, if you ever see a VHS tape come up called "Sugar Bouquets, or "A Bakers Dozen" that would be a good one to learn from. The problem there is that Sugar Bouquets has gone out of business and you can no longer get her exact same cutters and veiners. There are other companies that make similar items, you just have to decide which you want to learn first.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 7

i bought the wilton gumpaste flower set from michaels. it came with alot of cutters, rolling pin, a few tools, sponge and detailed instruction book for many popular flowers. it cost $20. i bought wilton gumpaste mix for about $8 there as well, except i used the %40 off coupons (nearly every week in the sunday paper) so it was less than $20 including tax for everything to get started. i dont know if this is techniquely right or not, but the recipe for gumpaste called for gluclose...instead of the expensive stuff, i used normal corn syrup(the only ingrediant is gluclose i think) and it seemed to work fine. i've started with simple daisys and apple blossoms but it was farely simple. i also used a clean egg carton to dry them so the sides would curl up since i didnt buy the flower formers. i saw that on ace of cakes- it works! good luck .

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 7

The Wilton book is probably the easiest way to learn without classes. Wish you lived in Kauai, Hawaii. I would love to teach. Good luck & let us know how you get on.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:24am
post #7 of 7

If you post what kind of flowers you want to learn how to make, there are people online who will help you.

Here's a link to instructions I posted on making a roses a while back. Let me know if you need pictures and I'll try to sit down sometime this week and get those done for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%