Converting Garage/plumbing

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 4:32am by maryjsgirl

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone who has converted their garage would be willing to share some of their costs dealing with plumbing, adding a bathroom, etc? I know everyone will be different, but it would be nice to get a scope of what to budget for. Thanks.

6 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 7

The plumber is coming later this week. I'll let you know how it goes, and how much it costs.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 7

What type of foundation do you have? Slab or pier and beam? Adding plumbing would be cheaper with a pier and beam foundation.

Do you have any plumbing access adjacent to the garage? ......like a kitchen or adjacent bathroom/laundry room? Do you have plumbing access in the garage? This are things that would help keep down the cost.

Is your exisitng HVAC (heating/cooling system) big enough to heat and cool the garage?

Our agency provides funding to help people with disabilities modify their homes for accessibility and we have converted garages into bathrooms. The cost has been an average of $13,000.

halohi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halohi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7

I was curious about this as well......

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't convert a garage, but my space was a big empty room in a strip mall .... much like a garage. The construction quote was approx $12,000 with the landlord throwing in $7500 to up the amps to accommodate the high amp using equipment and the health dept approved flooring.

If you have to trench thru concrete, this will be a major expense. If you have to have a vent-hood over the stove/ovens, this is also a major expense.

maryjsgirl Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:25am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

The plumber is coming later this week. I'll let you know how it goes, and how much it costs.

thanks!

maryjsgirl Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

What type of foundation do you have? Slab or pier and beam? Adding plumbing would be cheaper with a pier and beam foundation.

Do you have any plumbing access adjacent to the garage? ......like a kitchen or adjacent bathroom/laundry room? Do you have plumbing access in the garage? This are things that would help keep down the cost.

Is your exisitng HVAC (heating/cooling system) big enough to heat and cool the garage?

Our agency provides funding to help people with disabilities modify their homes for accessibility and we have converted garages into bathrooms. The cost has been an average of $13,000.

thanks for the info! We are putting a bid on a home that has a 24x24 detached garage that is already heated. There are windows for an air conditioner unit. And it's set up with 220. So basically the plumbing will be my big expense. Unfortunately it is on a slab foundation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%