Ovulation Testing? Anyone Have Any Experience To Share?

Lounge By emmascakes Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm by potatocakes

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:09am
post #1 of 19

We're trying to get pregnant and not having any luck so far. I have already been told (during an unrelated procedure a few years ago) that my fallopian tubes are partially blocked, the gynae said this might be a 'spasm' or 'mucus' (sorry - too much information!) so not to worry unduly but did say we might have problems conceiving.

We only started trying four months ago but I'm mindful of the potential for problems and my age (I'm 31) so I don't want to waste time. All my friends seem to have got pregnant as easy as falling off a log so I can't ask any of them about ovulation testing, so I thought I'd ask this wide pool of ladies (I mean there's a lot of you - not that you're wide! And I'm not refereing to the 'sugarcrafting cesspool'!)

I've ordered some tests - would love to hear your stories on using them or any advice you have!

18 replies
randel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randel Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:45am
post #2 of 19

After I had an ectopic pregnancy I had fertility problems which after some test for both of us. Has resulted in this pregnancy. I understand you frustrations, I fell pregnant very easily with my first and didn't realise how lucky I was until I had problems. (I won't say try to forget about and it will happen because I know that is nearly impossible to do!!) Good luck with the tests and try to relax.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:13am
post #3 of 19

I didn't have trouble falling pregnant and was very lucky, but I am an anal, organised virgo and so wanted to give the whole "choose the sex of your baby" book a big try.
I bought a tester "maybe baby" that was supposed to tell from your saliva when you were ovulating. I personally found it useless.
What DID work really well, was the ovulation test from my local supermarket. The one right next to the pregnancy tests. The brand I liked the best was something like "firststep" or some name with the word first in it. It worked telling me when I ovulated and I timed va-va-vooming for appropriate days.
I don't know if this helps Emma, but keep on trying. I have a lot of friends who took 8- 18 months to fall pregnant and have several beautiful kids! icon_razz.gif

Oh, in case you're curious, I did end up getting the sex I wanted in the order I wanted. Boy first then girl. But then, I will never know if that would've happened anyway! icon_lol.gif

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:22am
post #4 of 19

They are really simple to use and seem to be pretty accurate. I am currently using them so that I can go in for an IUI next week (I'm scared!!!!). My doctor told me to disregard the instructions and instead of using your first morning urine, go, then drink about 8 oz or so of water so that you have to go again in about 1 1/2 hours. I'm not sure why but he said that this would be more accurate. HTH

Melissa

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 19

I'm sorry you haven't gotten pregnant faster. It can be hard to wait, but really it is not uncommon. However... I highly recommend a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility - I learned a TON from that book! I also highly recommend a website called FertilityFriend. It has all kind of charting features that are free, as well as great forums. Bummer part is that you do have to join (pay) to use the forums, but in my experience they really are helpful.

It took us 5 months to get pg with our DS, but we are having lots of trouble with #2, and are currently starting our third IVF. We have known issues though, both for me and for my DH, so our situation is not common.

As far as OPKs specifically, I had a hard time using them but finally resorted to using a couple of brands at the same time so that I could compare. I kept thinking it was + when it wasn't. Eventually I kinda figured it out but I had to try several brands for a couple of months.

I really hope you get pg soon - I know it gets harder and harder the longer you are trying.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 19

When I was younger, I never ovulated and was put on the pill to control my periods. When DH and I decided to have a baby, I started charting to see how long my cycles would be and to help predict when I would ovulate. Have you done that yet? Charting is taking your temp in the am before you get out of bed with a basal thermometer. Check out www.fertilityfriend.com for some more information - they used to have free charting available and I'm not sure if it is still there, but it would be a place to start.

Did your doctor mention how long you were supposed to be trying before she would run more tests or intervene? Good luck to you and lots of baby dust coming your way!

I HTH and let me know if you have any more questions on charting....

Jen

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 19

I tried charting my temperatures, but they weren't accurate b/c I get up in the night and stuff and supposedly that messes it up.

We used ovulation predictor kits for a long time, and we finally conceived when I charted my mucus.

I agree with the pp who suggested the book TCOYF. Babycenter.com has a very good forum for people ttc, too.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 19

Emma,

Many moons ago when I still lived in England, I did the charting thing also - taking temperature before you get out of bed each morning, so you know the best times to try to make a baby. Eventually I ended up having my tubes 'blown'. It wasn't painful, they injected dye into the tubes to see if there was a spasm, or blockage. That was all well.

Good luck!
Barb

emmascakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 19

I used to chart mysekf all the time as we used natural family planning - but, like michellenj, I get up in the night so the temperature wasn't a good one for the readings.

Barb - were your tubes blocked them? They squirted dye through mine and said that one was totally blocked and the other showed a little leakage. At the time they weren't concerned with fertility so we didn't pursue it longer. My female gynae told me to try for six months when we felt ready and then, if we didn't conceive, to tell our GP we'd been trying for a year. She felt our chances were slim.

Maggie - the testing sounds like a nightmare, now I'm not so sure. I didn't realise the test results would be hard to interpret!

I just want to give the natural way it's best shot before being interfered with again, that's why I thought I'd try the ovulation testing.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 19

Hi Emma,

My tubes weren't blocked, but I've never ovulated properly so the only choice was the fertility pill, which we didn't want to do. Additionally, I have a backward tilting womb, which doesn't help in getting pregnant.

Unfortunately, I was never able to get pregnant, but I have five wonderful nephews, and they are 'my boys'!

Barb

Tarabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarabell Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #11 of 19

It took my hubby and I, 6.5 years to concieve our son. My tubes aren't blocked but I have some pretty complicated hormonal problems. I used ovulation tests and they worked pretty well for me. I am not a fan of charting since there is so much room for human error, especially if your not getting at least 8 hours of sleep in a night. Keeping reading all you can about ttc and if you feel like it needs more looking into, get on your Dr's case about it, sooner than later. Don't let them tell you that you have time, cause it shouldn't matter if your 20 or 40, when it's your time, it's no fun having to wait and since you know you have some issues right off the bat, it wouldn't hurt to be a little more agressive with it. Good luck, and if you have any other questions about anything, please feel free to pm me anytime.

Tara

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:32am
post #12 of 19

Try charting the changes in your cervical mucas. This is more reliable than BBT. Good luck.

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:50am
post #13 of 19

Emmascakes, please don't try to go it alone and waste precious time on this. At the same time, please don't get tense either, that's no good for you if you are trying to get preggers.
Please DO call and make an appointment with a reputable REPRODUCTIVE ENDOCRINOLOGIST right away and get yourself tested and evaluated properly. As you already think there may be a problem, please don't wait the standard 1 year they tell most people.
I was 31 when I got pregnant with my daughter after 2 years of tests and IUIs and other fun stuff. Had I done that sooner, it would not have taken as long and maybe some of it would not have been necessary. There is too much room for error when trying to chart it and also, depending on your condition, you might not even BE ovulating, as in my situation. I have PCOS and as a result I was not ovulating at all. I had to take hormones to help get the eggs large enough and then get shots of another hormone to force them to pop out so I could try to conceive. Also, you will get medical and emotional support you will need if you end up treating for a while, and that will make all the difference. You will have mandatory counseling to make sure you are doing ok emotionally and are able to cope with whatever the outcome of each course of treatment. Also they had dietitcians on staff at our clinic too.
My doctor was great I was very lucky - if you're not happy, change docs until you find one you trust and then just try your best to be patient and take care of yourself. My doctor gave me choice of accupuncture, massage, meditation, hypnosis and other things in addition to my "medical" infertility treatments and massage therapy and reiki helped me a great deal to relax and ease all the emotions from those hormones a bit. My daughter will be 2 this fall and I am hoping to try again soon for number 2.

If you want to see something to compare against to help you find the right kind of doctor, here is the website for the group I went with.
http://www.startfertility.com

Best wishes and my prayers are with you.

emmascakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:08am
post #14 of 19

Sadly I think I can say with certainty that in the UK I wouldn't get counselling or any nice therapies - just the shots.

I don't want to have medical interference until I'm comfortable that I gave our bodies every chance to conceive on their own. If, after six months of trying while ovulating, nothing happens then I'll go and say I've been trying for a year - this is what my gynae recommended after all.

And you just reminded me - I have a tilted womb too - and a cervical 'lip.' I've had so many tests and procedures for a variety of menstrual problems that I forgot! I suppose I'm being idealistic, I want my baby to be conceived through an act of love not in a tube - however if it doesn't happen I know we'll love each other through treatment.

Thanks for your good thoughts and those who have PMd me with advice as well - you're all lovely.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:36am
post #15 of 19

Hi Emma,
Ok first, I have to tell you that I see a huge red flag when you said you have at least one blocked tube and your Dr is still telling you to try to concieve naturally. I certainly don't want to scare you but when your tubes are blocked, even if it's just one tube, you do have to worry about concieving naturally. You mentioned that your dr said your chances will slim and that is because your tube is blocked. So I don't understand why she wasn't more concerned or didn't refer you to an RE. You can do all the trying you want and all the opk's ( ovulation predictor kits) or charting you want but if your tubes are blocked, you're wasting your time. Granted, if one tube is open you can certainly still get pg but I highly encourage you to see an RE. ( reproductive endocrinoligist) Blocked tubes are not caused by spasms or mucus. Your chances of concieving naturally with one blocked tube are significantly decreased unless it can be unblocked with the hsg. ( the dye through the tubes test)

I have gone through fertility issues myself and have been a part of several infertility websites in the past 9 yrs. I've talked with literally hundreds of women going through fertility problems and would be happy to help in any way I can. I'm certainly not a Dr but I will tell you I've learned far more by talking with others going through it that any Dr will ever tell you.

I have my own online support group for women going through fertility issues called Fertility Sisters. Please check it out anytime. The link is in my profile. We have a lot of women who have had or currently have blocked tubes who can share their stories and experience with you.

Again,I don't want to sound like a know it or or scare you but I would really encourage you to find a Dr who specializes in fertility, not a regular OB/GYN.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.
KimAZ

emmascakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 19

I don't think you can just get an 'RE' in the UK - you get a gynae. The doctor didn't refer me on at the time as we weren't trying for a baby - the blocked tube was found during an investigation of something else. We weren't trying to they said to have treatment if we were unsuccessful when we were trying - which I will do in six months time.

I realise we have a very small chance of trying on our own, but I really want to try and give it our best shot before going for treatment - can anyone understand this?

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 19

Emma, I can understand you completely. It's only been four months, which seems like an eternity for you, and in the US they don't consider you beinf "infertile" until you've tried much longer without succes. I used the book TCOYF when I had fertility problems seven years ago. Two miscarriages and lots of problems conceiving in between each. But I have a six year old son now, so don't dare give up on yourself. icon_smile.gif There are a lot of web sites out there where you can get support from other women who are trying. I think I got more help and info from those sites than from any doctor I visited. You didn't mention if you were on the pill prior to starting trying, but it can take some months for your body to get back to normal from the hormones if you were on the pill. Check out that book.

Your problem is near and dear to my heart, I know how you're feeling. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #18 of 19

Emmascakes, I do understand you. believe me I do - we felt the same way really. But looking back, it would have been so much less painful had I got moving with an RE earlier than I did, not to mention my stress levels would have been soooo much lower.
Also, please remember that you never know exactly how you get pregnant while doing this because, although you may have a procedure in the office, they will also give you "homework" and for that very reason too, they want to make sure you are given every possible opportunity to "produce" on your own, LOL...
That said, can you really say you know how you conceived?
Trying to bring some humor into this but in reality it is also true.
We joke about it all the time that we don't know exactly where she came to be. We all just don't want to see you prolong your stress and owrry unnecessarily. Whatever you do, we all are here for you and wish you all the best. And maybe they don't send you through the doctor, but if you can manage it on your own, do please find a good massage therapist or some other type of practitioner to help you try to relax and keep things as stress free as possible. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
thumbs_up.gif

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 19

Hey Emma, I'm sorry to hear of the problems you're having. I see where a couple of people have recommended the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. While I haven't personally read the book, I have been a member of the website message boards for several years and have found the women there to be very helpful and full of information on nearly every topic imaginable concerning fertility issues! The website is www.tcoyf.com. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Many prayers,
Tracy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%