Honest Opinions Needed...

Decorating By lara3teach Updated 27 Aug 2007 , 11:06am by mgdqueen

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:14am
post #1 of 11

I'm at a point with cake decorating that I'd like to do it more often. But, there are only so many cakes my family needs! icon_biggrin.gif So, I figure it's time to start spreading the word. I'm planning on doing this tomorrow by taking in a 'welcome back' cake with a little note asking my coworkers to keep me in mind the next time the need a cake.

But, as it gets closer to tomorrow, the more nervous I am about this. Do I really have enough skill to start selling cakes??? I don't have a lot of cakes in my gallery, but I'd really appreciate any feedback you all could give me. I have learned tons on this site and I truly value your opinions.

So...let me have it. Am I jumping in too soon?

Thanks!
Lara

10 replies
rsdd108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsdd108 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:22am
post #2 of 11

Hi Lara,

I'm not an expert by any means, but the way I see it, first of all, your cakes are beautiful, and secondly, you're taking in a sample of your work tomorrow, so your co-workers can judge firsthand if they're happy with the quality. Nothing to worry about - if they like what they see and taste, they'll place an informed order!

Good luck!

Radha

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:22am
post #3 of 11

No, you are not jumping in too soon. I looked at your pics and your cakes are really good. I love the mom stacked cake - just cute! You will do fabulous! It's scary but you can do it.

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:26am
post #4 of 11

IMHO you are ready. Jump in and go for it. The cakes you have posted look great. I especially love your baby shower cake. Good Luck

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:29am
post #5 of 11

Your cakes are great!! I'd look into the laws in your state regarding making food in your home for sale, but your skill level is more than adequate honey. icon_biggrin.gif

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #6 of 11

Your cakes look great. Find out the laws and go baby go.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:50am
post #7 of 11

Your cakes look good. Be sure and check into what's allowed in your area/county or whatever applies. Some places you can sell baked goods from your home but not advertise. Good luck!

moey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moey Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:54am
post #8 of 11

From the looks of your cakes you've been ready for awhile! go for it! ;

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:56am
post #9 of 11

your cakes are really nice, I say go for it.

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:55am
post #10 of 11

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I really appreciate it and I feel a little better going into work today. icon_smile.gif

Thank you as well for the advice on the regulations for home baking. Until I started hanging out on this site, I was unaware of many of them. I will definitely look into it.

Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:06am
post #11 of 11

Lara-jump in headfirst. That's what a lot of us have done and it's worked out in our favor. Just have fun! If it is too stressful, too agonizing, takes too much time from something else you want to be doing, then it's not worth it. You cakes look really nice!

PS-we have the same birthdate! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%