You Are Not Going To Believe This One!

Business By gilson6 Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm by Dreme

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 13

I sent out flyers with our subdivisions bi-monthly newsletter on Monday. I got a response today from someone. Well, they want a cake for an anniversary party for her parents for 200 people. Since I'm just trying to get my business really out there - I told her I would charge her $1.00 a serving for the cake and 50 cents per serving for the filling. This came to $300.00. I thought this was pretty reasonable considering that I wouldn't be making anything on it. She couldn't get off the phone fast enough. She had mentioned that she was going to go to Costco but when she got my flyer she wanted to check me out because she wanted something different. What do people think we do while we are decorating these cakes???? The final cake would be more of a wedding cake since she wanted stacked/tiers instead of a sheet cake. I just don't understand people!

12 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 13

*sigh* I hope she loves her Costco cake. I'm sure it will be just fine. It won't be AMAZING like yours would have, but it will be *fine*. Just wait, a decent customer will be coming along and they will realize that you are underselling yourself as it is!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 13

you mean she thought that was too much???? that is INSANE!!!!!!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 13

She wants a cake for 200 people . . . what did she expect???

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 13

I use to scoff when a bakery would tell me $40 for a Sponge Bob 1/2 Sheet cake. That was before I started decorating and I knew how much time and effort it actually took to make a well decorated cake. People just dont understand. That is why I haven't started selling yet. I feel people will laugh at me if I tell them $40 for a cake when they can go to the grocery store and get one for $10. It's tough.

Good Luck to you. I hope your business does well.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 13

Well, as one person once said on a similar thread awhile back
"why are cakes so expensive, it's all white bread and sugar ?"...

It's the ignorance..that's what it is. icon_rolleyes.gif

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 13

I honestly think that people don't realize the hard work and time that is put into making a cake, wether it be small or (especialy) a large one. I thik sometimes we just need to explain the process first, then tell them the price. Maybe they would not be in such sticker SHOCK! icon_eek.gif

Hope everything works out for you. Please post a pick if you end up doing the cake.

usaribbon.gif

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 13

I guess she doesn't like to pay for good quality cake. People just don't appriciate the work we put into our cakes. I guess she can just buy a few of those $12 cakes for such a special occasion.

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 13

I wouldn't think that costco would be too far off that price!! I mean 1.50 a serving for a tiered cake is very reasonable, for any place!! She will get a reality check!! icon_wink.gif

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 13

My husband couldn't believe the amount that we paid for our wedding cake (which was gorgeous, delicious, AND moderately priced), but now that I've started baking cakes he realizes that it was worth every penney we paid and then some. I used to think that grocery store cakes were not so bad, but now I realize how basic the decorating on most of them is.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 13

Some people just don't get it.

I guess you can sum it up with:

"You Get What You Pay For"

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:01pm
post #12 of 13

Our walmart charges about $1.50 per serving!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

Well, as one person once said on a similar thread awhile back
"why are cakes so expensive, it's all white bread and sugar ?"...

It's the ignorance..that's what it is. icon_rolleyes.gif

You guys are lucky. I have to work with the idiot who said that.
(Im sorry, but I forgot to a take a pic of the cake she made for the party)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%