Family-In-Law + First Wedding Cake + Holidays = Crazy??

Decorating By Cake_Geek Updated 26 Oct 2006 , 11:45am by Cake_Geek

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 7

My husband's wonderful aunt just shared with me that her youngest daughter is recently engaged to be married December 2007. She asked if I would consider doing the wedding cake. Aunt Marie is a wonderful woman, has been always very kind to me and my husband and has been there for us in some tough times. Her daughter, Kelly, is also very nice but I know she can be a witch as well. Knowing everyone can be a witch when it comes to their wedding and adding the fact it is family, I'm nervous about accepting. I told Aunt Marie I'd like to sit and talk with them about what Kelly would like before I said yes or no. What they don't know really, and I'm not too inclined to share, is we are trying to start a family, albeit with difficulties, so that would be a reason to say no. I'm just not sure to say yes!!

6 replies
justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 7

another thing to think about is do you really want the stress and trying to get ready for the wedding yourself...

I don't know what to tell you-- just go with what you think is best.

Cake_Geek Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 7

I'm sure I won't be part of the wedding so I'm not really concerned about me getting ready for it.

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 7

I would sit down with her first. You might decide then and there. Dec 2007 is a long way off. I'm sure if you were going to be 9 months pregnant they would understand you not wanting to do the cake, and would have plenty of time to find someone else.

Are you sure you want to do it? It sounds like you just want to be nice, but don't want the responsibility. A gift certificate from Crate and Barrel works just as well. icon_smile.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

Considering the fact that the aunt asked and not the bride, is there any way that you can be sure that the bride really wants you to do it? Before you commit and get stressed out about it.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

I think this is one where it's your call to make. I guess when DD was young, I would have LOVED to do a cake as a break as long as DH would have helped me out with some babysitting ( icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif come to think of it, I did do a cake when she was about a month old only for him NOT to help with DD and I was a bit stressed to put it lightly especially with the hormones! - I think that was the same week I learned that sausage really doesn't have much bounce to it)..

Only you can say for sure whether you're up to it. Remember purchasing the kitchen aid mixer as a wedding gift may be cheaper tapedshut.gif depending on what you've got versus what she wants for the cake.

Cake_Geek Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 11:45am
post #7 of 7

I'm stressed just over the thought of doing a wedding cake. I have some experience from helping my mom do a few of them about 10 years ago and I do have confidence in my ability, but I wasn't responsible for the cakes! I remember clearly how stressed my mom was doing them but then again they were for immediate family. I'm also excited at the opportunity to do it.

I am definitely going to sit down with them sometime soon I hope to discuss it. I don't think the bride's mom would have asked me about it if she hadn't talked to her daughter. Either way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if they changed their minds. Any tips or pointers for when I initially talk to them?

Dia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%