Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix

Baking By Crakerz01 Updated 6 Jun 2019 , 5:53am by MBalaska

Crakerz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crakerz01 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a good recipe that I can use to doctor a spice cake mix that includes pumpkin? It will be for cupcakes and I'd really like them to be moist.

5 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

Here's the one from the Cake Doctor.
1 package plain spice cake mix
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
1 cup pumpkin, canned or fresh
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
3 large eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in mixer. Bake for 32-35 minutes. I guess for cupcakes you should cut back the time a little.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 6

Heres one I came across. Going to try it out this weekend. I used to have a really good recipe but I can't find it anywhere! Don't you hate when that happens?!

Spicy Pumpkin cake w/ Chocolate Chunks
1 pkg spice cake mix
8 oz cream cheese, softened, divided
1 c. canned pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
6 Bakers semi-sweet chocoate, coarsly chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cake mix as directed reducing water to 1/2 c. and increasing oil to 1/2 c. Add half of cream cheese, pumpkin, cinnamon & ginger. Beat on medium till well blended. Stir in chopped chocolate. Pour into greased 12-c. fluted pan or 10" tube pan. Bake 40-45 min.

Note: Remaning cream cheese is used in icing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 6

I haven't tried these but I have saved them to try them...

Pumpkin Spice Cake:

1 pkg. (18 oz.) spice or carrot cake mix
1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
3 large eggs
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch-round cake pans.

COMBINE cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, water, vegetable oil and pumpkin pie spice in large mixer bowl until moistened. Beat for 2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into prepared pans.

BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Here is another one that uses a yellow cake mix but you can always change it to a spice mix...

1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
4 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Beat cake mix, 1 cup of the pumpkin, the milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp. of the pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Pour evenly into prepared pans.

BAKE 28 to 30 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 6

I think that Libbys recipe is the one I've been looking for!! Must have used it off the side of the can and figured I'd remember. You know how that goes icon_redface.gif
TexasSugar - we share a birthday!! thumbs_up.gif

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 5:53am
post #6 of 6

Yes, I know that this is a really really old thread...…………  

I was craving pumpkin cake and wanted a short cut.  Had to try the "cake mix & canned pumpkin" thing in muffins.  So I grabbed what I had in the kitchen pantry.

1 white cake mix box.            (mixed everything quickly by hand in a bowl.)

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin

1/2  cup water

3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil

3 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1 whole egg

cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cloves   to my taste of course

cupcake liners in a muffin tin.  made about 15 muffins.  Baked 23 mins at 400 f.    they were heavenly.  It's the first time that I tried this experiment.  I could add more sugar to sweeten it up, and another egg to lighten it up.  But it really came out lovely the way that I made it.  Fun to try new things and create recipes. The house smells wonderful.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%