What To Use To Grind Nuts Finely?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 8:49pm by playingwithsugar

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 19

Several of my cake recipes from Europe call for finely ground walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds. I've used my food processor, but it either makes a paste or I need to add sugar or some other "agent" to keep it from forming paste. That's OK for recipes I have a "spare" dry ingredient, but this one cake my family loves is JUST walnuts, sugar and eggs and the sugar and eggs have to be whipped together, so nothing with the walnuts.

So, how do I grind them finely? Is there a special mill? I have a poppy seed mill, but I'm sure that's too fine for walnut pieces. I looked at buying them already ground and it was $13 a POUND - what?!?!?!

Anyone?
melissa

18 replies
Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 19

To finely gound nuts I use a food processor. You have to keep a very close eye on them so they will not make a paste. It will happen very fast. I just keep starting & stoping until I know they are finely ground.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 19

That just doesn't work for me. It makes some parts fine, but there are always still chunks. It really just feel and look like a flour. When I food process (and I have a cuisinart) it still has some "chunks". Not big, but not fine either.

Melissa

Monica0271 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 19

Humm... I am not sure why that is. Both of my food processors grind nuts finely..

Question-- are you pulsing (on,off,on,off really fast --like 1-2 seconds) or stoping & starting (for about 30 seconds) your processor?

I pulse mine. this way the nuts fall back down into the container & each one gets a chance on getting cut.

Gosh.. hope I explained that ok icon_rolleyes.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 19

Yep, I pulse it - but maybe I hold it too long - I hold it for like 3-4 seconds. You truly get a gritty powder? (Kind of like corn meal)?

Maybe I'll have to try it.

Melissa[/i]

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 19

I was at a Pampered chief party the other night and saw this in action with nuts in it. It was great. All the nuts came out the same size and texture.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=157&words=grater

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 19

What if you measured out a little bit of sugar from the eggs to grind with the nuts, and combine the rest with the eggs as usual? I don't know if that would work for your recipe?

So you'd be using the same amount of sugar and most of it would be used where it should be, minus the small amount to help grind the nuts.

Otherwise maybe you need a special food processor or one with more speed options if you don't have that already?

Just some thoughts...

icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 19

what about a coffee grinder??

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 19

I use a coffee grinder for nuts only, cuz if you share it with grinding coffee beans you get a little of both in the end product.

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 19

I use an old fashioned nut grinder. Turn the handle one way and it grinds them finely. Turn the handle the other way and it grinds them less finely.

Couldn't live without my nut grinder! (I also use it to grind raisins for my Peanut Butter balls).

HTH

Mine is like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Federal-Housewares-Nut-Grinder_W0QQitemZ170040613816QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14903QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 19

I use my pampered chef chopper. (Helps get out some aggression) LOL. You get pretty fine pieces the more you chop!

Monica0271 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

You truly get a gritty powder? (Kind of like corn meal)?

[/i]

Yes Mam I do. Give it a try. I hope it works for you.

berryblondeboys Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 19

I'm going to try the food processor right now. I'm a bit afraid to put some sugar in with the nuts for this one recipe because it might not incorporate enough and you might "feel" the sugar.

And I'm positive the pampered chef chopper can't do it. It basically is a nut flour and I would hate to imagine how long I would have to chop to get a nut flour! LOL

I actually saw that exact auction! But again, wasn't sure if it made a nut flour or just coursely or chopped nuts.

OFF TO GRIND MY NUTS! LOL icon_redface.gif

Melissa

Monica0271 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 19

icon_lol.gif LOL!!!

Let us know how it went.....

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 19

LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melissa's gone off to grind her nuts...

*makes Beavis and Butthead sounds*

I use the food processor, too...just pulsing it works for me. thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

Monica0271 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melissa's gone off to grind her nuts...

*makes Beavis and Butthead sounds*

I use the food processor, too...just pulsing it works for me. thumbs_up.gif

--Knox--

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Gosh I love your sense of humor!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 19

The problem with trying to grind nuts fine is that the smallest pieces fall to the bottom, like potato chips in a bag. The smaller pieces displace the larger ones to the top of the food processor bowl. Use the pulse option on your food processor, and remove the lid and stir the larger pieces to the bottom. If you bring the smaller pieces to the top with a spoon or spatula, gravity will take over and send the large pieces to the bottom.

There are hand-cranked nut grinders available, but they are quite expensive.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 19

Oh my goodness... I don't know what to think! I sent a message to the company that sells my mixer because they have a couple things that say "nut grinder". I wanted to know if either of this ground the nuts finely or not...Well... what do you think of this email response.

LITERALLY, it says:

"no"

No caps, no punctuation, nothing... what the ???? Huh??? Great customer service - I think it's worse than not responding! Grrrr...

Melissa

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 19

Is it too late to send the mixer back?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%