Sugarcraft Clay Gun Owners, Help!!!

Decorating By nefgaby Updated 14 May 2007 , 12:52am by KateyK

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:42am
post #1 of 16

Hi there, I was hoping anyone here at CC could give me some advice on which clay gun to buy and where to buy it... I've been checking online but since I know close to nothing about clay guns I can't tell which one is best and websites out there don't provide with much information. Please, anyone could tell me which one would be the best one to buy? I am willing to pay for it, so I don't have to upgrade later. Thanks soo much for all your help! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:51am
post #2 of 16

this is one recommened it is costly but worth it.

this is the cheapest price = $32.50

countrykitchen is $52.00 they raised their price because I bought it from them for $34.00

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/216/7424.htm?357

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:54am
post #3 of 16

I agree. This is the best one to use. It won't hurt your hand nearly as much as others out there. Done that. No more.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:21am
post #4 of 16

what does a clay gun do????

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:21am
post #5 of 16

Yes that is the one I have too and I use it all the time.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:50am
post #6 of 16

Love me sugarcraft gun and would not use anything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookster

what does a clay gun do????

You put some fondant or gumpaste in the tube of the gun and then there are many discs with different shapes that you attach to the end. Then you squeeze the handle and a sting of fondant/gumpaste comes out in the shape of the disc that you used. It is great for making pefectly round ropes and tons of other things.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 16

I have a confession:

I can't get my clay gun to work for me.

My solution:

I bought the Play Doh Fun Center. Very easy to use and clean up is a breeze.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 16

I have the same one and love it. Just be sure to work in a little crisco to the fondant or it will be to stiff to push out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 16

Pookster, I made the lines on my football cake with the clay gun if you want to take a look. Much straighter then I could have done with a piping bag. You can also maike hair and rope borders.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 16

I've tried using my pampered chef cookie press.......hey it looks the same as the clay gun only a little bigger....it kinda worked but not really..the mmf always breaks apart as it's squeezing out instead of staying in a long strand........guess I need to get one that's made for clay. i've seen them at A.C. Moore in the polymer clay section for like 8 bucks....does anyone know if those work well???

nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leana

this is one recommened it is costly but worth it.

this is the cheapest price = $32.50

countrykitchen is $52.00 they raised their price because I bought it from them for $34.00

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/216/7424.htm?357

Thanks for the info, just one more question... is it the same thing? Both websites sell the SAME gun? I thought maybe because contry kitchen's was more expensive maybe it was better?? icon_confused.gif If it is the same thing, then I'm going with beryls!! Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 16

I think it is the same thing. Maybe one has more discs than the other???

nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I've tried using my pampered chef cookie press.......hey it looks the same as the clay gun only a little bigger....it kinda worked but not really..the mmf always breaks apart as it's squeezing out instead of staying in a long strand........guess I need to get one that's made for clay. i've seen them at A.C. Moore in the polymer clay section for like 8 bucks....does anyone know if those work well???

I have the $8 one and in my opinion, it is just a pain to work with it, your hand hurt really bad! That is why I wanted to upgrade!

nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmary

I think it is the same thing. Maybe one has more discs than the other???

Do you know if they sell the extra discs?? I know the one at country kitchen comes with 16, but what about beryls??

nefgaby Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 16

OK, called beryls and it is the same exact thing!! 16 discs as well!! YEEEEAAH!!

KateyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateyK Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #16 of 16

What size stripes can you do with this gun? Do they come out REALLY skinny? Or can you do varied sizes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%