Sugar Flowers

Decorating By sarajohnson Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm by jmt1714

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:20am
post #1 of 4

I bought the book of sugar flowers from this website and inside it has a recipe for flower paste, has anyone made this before?
It calls for (among other things)
-a sheet of leaf gelatine
-gum tragacanth
-carboxymethyl cellulose
- egg white

where can you find these ings? and do you have to use this recipe or can you just use gum paste?

thanks ya'll

3 replies
Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:31am
post #2 of 4

a sheet of leaf gelatine
can be found at your local cake deco supply. That is where I usually by mine. Like 8 sheets for $1.99. LOL with the rest. I would assume you can get it at the same place also.

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:36am
post #3 of 4

You can just use gum paste, either ready made or the dry mix. Carboxy methylcellulose is known as Tylose, a substitute for gum tragacanth. This is what makes the gum paste get hard. You can get these supplies at a cake decorating store, or from an online supplier (like Country Kitchens or Sugarcraft). Without knowing which book you have, I'm guessing it's from the UK, they use the leaf gelatin alot. My recipe uses Knox unflavored gelatin. There are lots of recipes for gum paste, I believe baking911 has one, and also Sugarcraft. HTH

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 4

that recipe is for gum paste, I think. at least those are the ingredients in my gum paste recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%