My Daughter Won At The State Fair!!!!

Decorating By stormy2500 Updated 31 Jul 2014 , 5:45am by KristiMarie

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:32am
post #31 of 39

fantastic icon_biggrin.gif Hopefully this will be a hobby she always sticks with and who knows what'll happen,such talent!

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:38am
post #32 of 39

Stormy,
Your daughter did a GREAT job on her cakes! I started when I was 14, and I was nowhere near that good that soon!
The nachos look SO real!
I have to admit though, that the tulip field cake is my favorite (being a Portlander here, I've been to the Woodburn Tulip festival many times, and could recognize that view anywhere!)
Are you in the Portland area?

Kudos to your daughter! She'll go FAR! icon_biggrin.gif

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:45am
post #33 of 39

Grats she did great !!

stormy2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormy2500 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

I have to admit though, that the tulip field cake is my favorite (being a Portlander here, I've been to the Woodburn Tulip festival many times, and could recognize that view anywhere!)
Are you in the Portland area?

Thanks everyone for the great responses!!! I am one proud mom of my daughter!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

RoseCity,

Thank you for recognizing that view...you are correct about it being from the Woodburn tulip festival. Someone (thank you to whoever you are!) posted the pictures they took out there online and so we based it off of their photo. And to answer your other question we are in the Clackamas area.

As far as the questions about classes...my daughter has had none. I've worked with her on her cake decorating. The instructors for the Wilton classes will not let her take them until she is 12 or so. I have taken just the 1st round of classes from Wilton over 1 1/2 years ago...but will take classes again (only from somewhere else). I'll have to see if they will let her take them too. This was also my daughter's first year entering at the fair...so we were so excited to see that her cakes did so well.

We both learned from these cakes because we had to use products we have never used before. Thanks to members here on CC that helped us with the product choices and at The Decorette Shop for also helping us choose products. We now know how to use gumpaste and the spray color that you can buy anywhere. We also learned how to use candy melts (they are really waxy though).

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #35 of 39

Ok, to update what I said previously, kudos to you BOTH!!!!

Your daughter has a LOT of talent for someone never having taken a "class" as such!

And you have done a TERRIFIC job of teaching your daughter!

So my hat's off to both of your for your accomplishments!

And I have to agree, that the folks at The Decorette Shop are the BEST!
(as are our "family" here at CC!!!)
Helpful with information, and always willing to go the extra mile if they can to accomodate customers! Other businesses should take customer service classes from the owners/employees @ the DS!!
My ONLY wish is that they were open on Sundays, but I do understand icon_smile.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:28am
post #36 of 39

[/quote] gabbenmom..so they let your 8 year old take the course?[/quote]

Yes. The particular instructor at the store where we take classes said she would be fine! She is still amazed at how well she has done! Our instructor is amazing and is great with kids! We did take the Wilton classes through Michaels! Check with your local store's instuctor (not just the check out help)!!! It is a great bonding time for all of you mom's thinking about letting your kids get involved!!!!! Look at Stormy's daughter!! Congrats again! I can't wait to show my daughter her work! They could be great friends (if we weren't thousands of miles apart thumbsdown.gif )!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #37 of 39

Oh my goodness, you have an amazingly talented young daughter! She has quite an imagination. Tell her CONGRATULATIONS for me. I can't wait to see what she does next!

Luckylurker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luckylurker Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:02am
post #38 of 39

Instead of taking more wilton classes, you should take the classes from the Decorette Shop. I took their classes and they were excellent. Congratulations to your daughter's cakes, she beat mine though. icon_sad.gif But my daughter is only 6 and I have not worked with her and cakes yet, she only eats the scraps, lol. Did you enter any cakes yourself? I think the turn out for the fair was excellent this year. Next year will be even better. Not only did your daughter win ribbons, but actual prize money. I love that they alloted money for the kid's divisions this year (and the adults). icon_smile.gif Our local cake group got the sponsor for the fair, which is Pendelton Flour Mills, to donate the money for prizes. I think they did a great job as well. icon_smile.gif There seems to be lots of Oregonian's around here, if you're heading to the fair, drop by our demo booth and say hi! We are right next to the cake display.

KristiMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristiMarie Posted 31 Jul 2014 , 5:45am
post #39 of 39

Impressive!!!!! I will have to show my 8yr old this :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%