Does Melvira Work With All Icings?

Decorating By Dana0323 Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm by ATLcutiepieDST

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 7

I haven't tried this method, and have a Cream Cheese icing for a cake tomorrow. Does it only work with BC?

TIA!

6 replies
JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 7

I am pretty sure that it would have to be a crusting type of icing..I believe there are crusting cream cheese recipes around but I have never used one.
If it were not crusting, the icing would stick to the roller/paper towel...

Hopefully, she will see this and answer but that is my understanding..

HTH

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

Hey Dana! I have to tell you honestly I have only used it on crusting buttercream, but I have had people tell me that they use it on a non-crusting icing, they just put it in the fridge and let it set up a bit. I cannot tell you from experience that it will work because I have not tried it. I'd say, give it a try, the worst that happens is that you have to find some other method!! The best of luck to you!!!

ldydb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldydb Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 7

To make it work with other icing you have to put in the the fridge or freezer, until it is a bit firm. Then it wworks. I have tried it.

ATLcutiepieDST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATLcutiepieDST Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 7

It works with the Crusting cream cheese frosting. I did it two days ago for a key lime cake I had to do. Gimme a minute and let me find the recipe.

ATLcutiepieDST Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 7

Okay. I found it in my mound of recipes. Here goes:

1 stick of butter

8 oz. Cream Cheese

2 lbs. of Powdered Sugar

1/4 c of vegetable shortening

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. salt.

It works I'm telling you. I put it on the cake and smoothed it using the melvira method so that I could cover it with fondant. It was so smooth I really didn't want to cover it with the fondant but it was for class so I had to.

ATLcutiepieDST Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 7

Oh yeah, I forgot the directions. Cream the butter, shortening, and vanilla together. Then add the powdered sugar, salt, and I added a tblsp of meringue powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%