Is Bc For Taste & Fondant For Looks

Decorating By beetle1948 Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 6:20am by superstar

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 13

Just reading a lot of the posts and from some of the questions I have asked . Would I be correct in saying that fondant is mostly for looks and if your after taste use BC. Just curious...again icon_smile.gif

12 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:26am
post #2 of 13

Yes and no. People on this sight have done some pretty amazing things with BC. It's preference, and versitality. You can do many things with fondant that you can't with BC. It depends on your taste and what your trying to accomplish. Others may feel different though.

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:40am
post #3 of 13

When I am working with fondant, I always do the buttercream with a very strong flavor, because the people didn't eat the fondant, only the buttercream, for me fondant is only for a nice look.....

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:01am
post #4 of 13

Who cares!!! if the client likes the look and the guests eat the cake, why does it matter? it's all about putting the best product you can out

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:07am
post #5 of 13

If you use a really good fondant like Fondx or Satin Ice you will have a good taste especially if you flavor it. I love both, fondant & a good BC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #6 of 13

Being a 100% BC decorator, I say BC is for taste AND looks! thumbs_up.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #7 of 13

Being another 100% BC decorator, I say BC is for taste ...AND.... looks, also.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #8 of 13

If you are going strictly on taste, I think the only coverature that surpasses bc is white chocolate fondant...Yum! You will get absolutely great flavor and true versatility. Alas, the only real drawback is the cost. icon_cry.gif

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #9 of 13

I have found if you use Fondx which tastes like marshmallow or Satin Ice which tastes like BC you get both looks and taste. icon_lol.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:44am
post #10 of 13

Yeah, if you use a good fondant, then its not just for looksicon_wink.gif
I love Satin Ice...the chocolate tastes like tootsie roll to me...mmmmmicon_wink.gif

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #11 of 13

I, too, love the taste of Satin Ice, but don't like the feel with cake. Its a texture thing for me!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:09am
post #12 of 13

You know, I have become pretty much a strict fondant decorator (mmf). There has only been one person that has ate my cakes that did not like the mmf and took it off the cake and only ate bc. In my area, the only fondant people have ever tried was Wilton (even those people are few and far between) and are so pleased with the taste of mmf. I can't stand any fondant off a cake - but on a cake it tastes good to me!

You are kind of right though - some people have a very distinct look in mind that only fondant can achieve. And there are more bc lovers than fondant lovers taste wise.

Hope that answers your question.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 6:20am
post #13 of 13

I always put a good thick layer of BC under my Fondx so everyone gets the best of both worlds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%