What Is The Purpose?

Decorating By beetle1948 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm by leah_s

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 5

Please help me understand when or why you would use fondant over bc or vice verse. I have never use fondant I,m just curious.And thank you
sharing your thoughts.

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant does not stick to much of anything. You have to put either a thin layer of bc or apricot glaze (or similar) so the fondant will stick. The bc sticks to the cake and the fondnat sticks to the bc.

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

Fondant gets a very crisp clean look that some people prefer over buttercream. However, most store bought fondant doesn't taste nearly as good as home made buttercream does. It depends on the preference and the amount of money one wants to spend. Fondant can be very costly to work with, but some people prefer the look of it so much, that they work only in fondant. But, on the same wave some people have such difficulty with fondant or dislike the taste so much they only work in buttercream. It's totally up to you. I would suggest trying a small fondant cake if you're curious just to see how you like it. It does get easier to work with the more you practice, however the flavor is not nearly as nice to me, as buttercream.
Jen

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 5

It gives the cake a different look and there are decoration techniques that work best on fondant such as painting and airbrushing (if you are using a non-crusting BC), crimping, and adding drapes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 5

crap, when you said why use fondant over bc, I took that literally. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%