Just Need To Vent. (Long)

Decorating By sweet_honesty Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 6:22pm by morphis1208

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 22

Ok so I haven't been here for a while but I just need to vent to people who I know will understand. A friend of my sister's is getting married and she asked me to do the wedding cake. They were strapped for cash so i basically going to do her a favour and give her the cake at a grossly reduced price. Mumsy- in - law to be on being informed of the impending nuptuals offered to help pay for some of the stuff and all of a sudden the small civil ceremony explodes into this big doo dah. So of course the bride needs a bigger cake. No problem by me. I was already taking a day off work to bake and decorate so what's one more cake to add to the list. Mind you alll this time I'm still planning to let her have it done at reduced price. So on saturday she comes by to finalise the design. It goes from simple two tier, covered in fondant with ribbon borders and a sugar flower spray to three tier fondant covered with ribbon border and scroll work, sugar flower bouquet on top and smaller bouquets on the side with a very small piped border overlaying the ribbon. Fine by me still. I'm still being planning to be sympathetic with the price. BUT then when she is ready to go she drops this comment saying that she hopes it looks good because if it doesn't she get up at the reception and shame me by saying that i promised her a good looking cake and this is what I gave her and she'll spread my name and address around at the wedding. It took all it had in me not to explode. It's not like she hasn't seen my work before and I don't think my cakes are that horrible for her to say something like that. So of course I decided to charge her the going rate for a cake that size. I was in shock. Of course the going rate was too much for her (About $650 US for 11 in. heavy fruit cake, 9 in. pound cake, 6 in. chocolate cake... all made from scratch, covered in homemade fondant with the decorations i explained already.) The price of course it too much for her so she said she would come back and discuss cheaper options. My mother tells me that I should have told her then and there that I wasn't going to do it if that's the way I felt but the thing is that it would be my first official wedding cake and I wouldn't mind the experience. What do you guys think????

21 replies
mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 22

I'm sorry this happened to you when you are trying so hard to do something nice and wonderful for someone. I probably wouldn't have been as nice as you were, but probably just as shocked with her overall rudeness.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 22

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your cakes are beautiful. But I would definitely charge the going rate after that comment. Even if she was just doing it in jest. That was definitely in bad taste.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 22

Well it seems to me like she's already prepared NOT to like it!!! I would be very careful with this bride........I think you did the right thing by staying professional and not exploding on her and I also agree if she's going to be a tapedshut.gif then you should charge her full price! Especially since it's not the original cake you were agreeing to give at a reduced price! Sounds to me like she's trying to take advantage of you AND shoot you down at the same time. Be careful!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 22

I think that family are the hardest to work for/with. I am doing two of my first wedding cakes in April, and my sister is getting married in December. I won't TOUCH her cake. Even if I were to make my best cake ever, I still feel that it would get messy (relationship-wise) in the end. If a stranger has problems with their cake then you do your best to make it right and move on. If family has problems with a cake then you hear about it at every family gathering for the rest of time. If there are problems at the beginning even before the cake is started I would seriously consider whether I wanted to put myself in that situation or not. I hope things work out for you, it's no fun to not be appreciated.

Tim-n-SEMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tim-n-SEMO Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 22

That's just ridiculous...but then again, I see consideration and anything other than a self-centered viewpoint disappearing from society any more.....LOL, don't get me started.

I'm sorry to hear about such a bad experience. I will say that doing a wedding cake is a good experience though...at least in some ways. Once you have one under your belt, you'll feel much more confident about doing others.

Tim

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 22

What the $@#%*&$#!!! icon_mad.gif

"Oh, woe is me, would you feel sorry for me and give me my wedding cake for a steal of a price? OH, and if I don't like it I'm gonna bad mouth you to every one I know. OK?"

What is wrong with this girl!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 22

Don't do it for anything but the going rate. It's not like she's family, just a friend of your sister's and if she's saying this stuff to you now what's she going to be saying later?
If you do make sure that you don't give a refund because she's not happy with the price, she'll find something to complain about to get one if this is what she's like now.

flytrap77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flytrap77 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 22

I am also sorry that she was so rude. In this case, I would just let her go find someone else to do her wedding cake. She doesn't seem to level headed and not worth the time and worry.

Kat

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 22

I think if they stick to the original plan, you can stick to your original price.

But, since they changed the plan, your price changes accordingly. I 'm glad that you stayed professional with the bride to be, but I agree that working with family can turn into a horrible, horrible nightmare.

stick to your guns, they may hate you now, but they will surely RESPECT YOU!

She could've been joking about her remark...that would be something that would come out of MY mouth as a joke..but you never know.

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 22

I'd drop this one like a hot potato and run far, far away as fast as I can.

HoosierMomOf5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoosierMomOf5 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 22

Eh, tapedshut.gif her. Spreading word at the wedding wouldn't do much now, would it? I mean, those people will see and taste it for themselves. She'd just come across as a total nut job. I'd discount nothing. Nail her with the full price...IF you choose to do it at all. If trouble is a' brewing this early in the game...chances are you'll end up the main ingredient in the witch's stew. icon_wink.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 22

I wouldn't touch that cake with a 10 ft. pole!!!!!!!
Stay as far away from that chick as possible!!!
She is Trouble with a capital T.

Talk about Bridezilla!!!!!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #14 of 22

I would not do this cake, even for more money...she already made it clear she will bad mouth you if it isn't done perfect...she will find something about it that won't be perfect...she'll find reason, then probably want all her money back at the same time.
I'd just walk away. if she did bad mouth you in any way, your business would pay for that, for who knows how long? you would be doomed before you ever got started.
you have to keep us posted on what happens next.

and good luck
melody

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 22

OMG I am having the same trouble with SIL for birthday cakes. I can't imagine the stress of a wedding cake. It's so hard to tell these people where to go. I have simpathy for you. Good for you giving her that price. She won't be able to find a cake like that cheaper. As much as I would want the wedding cake experience, I think Khalstaed said she sounds like shes already got it in her mind that she wont like it. Brides can be soooo vicious! Maybe she will jsut get the cake somewhere else. It would be less of a head ache for you. Well good luck with whatever you decide to do. And please keep us posted! You can vent to me anytime!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:23pm
post #16 of 22

Bridezilla, yes??? Be sure you have a signed contract, and a deposit up front. Then again, packing it in wouldn't be too bad a choice, either. She sounds very selfish and quite willing to take advantage of your kindness. Good luck with this one. Someone else commented the people at the reception would have seen and tasted the cake for themselves so there really isn't any downside, for you, if she choices to make her reception a crabbing (how's that for a really polite term?) session, and I believe that is true. But, she will certainly be difficult to work with, if nothing else.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #17 of 22

I'd say if she says anything about the price - like tries to bargain with you at all - just say you can't do it. I don't think I'd do it anyway. While the wedding cake experience can be good - it sounds like this one might make you want to stay away from weddings forever! - NOT good! You don't want your first experience to be a horrific one! I'd probably tell her if she had no confidence in my work and had already decided she was going to speak badly about me, then I had no interest in doing her cake.

Good luck!

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:37pm
post #18 of 22

Wow! She sounds like a real nightmare. I have to agree with the reply about getting a signed contract and be sure to itemize all the special touches that will be included.

If it were me, I'd have to ask her if she has any doubts about my ability to do a cake that would satisfy her. I would tell her if she does, then she should probably go to another cake designer as this is a special day and I'd hate for her to be disappointed on her wedding day.

In other words, make her disappointment entirely her fault.

Good luck!

Carol-AHMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carol-AHMI Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 22

RUN!
RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

If I had a "bride" make that remark to me, I would have said (in the calmest voice I could muster up at the tme):
"I'm sorry then, I am obviously NOT the decorator for you; and it would be best if you took your business elsewhere. Thank you."

PERIOD!
And I would never look back!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 22

I'm off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bride to be called me and cancelled her order. She said her mother- in -law to be is going to help bake the cakes and someone else is going to decorate her wedding cake. I can't say I was sorry when she called to cancel either. I'm curous to see how it comes out in the end though and my sister has promised to take lots of pictures at the reception so I can see. Just morbid curiosity I guess.

Connie1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1960 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:44pm
post #21 of 22

I just took a look at your photos and your cakes are lovely. I don't know why someone would make a rude remake like that, especially when she is a friend of your sisters and probably knows how nice they look. If she said that to you, maybe your sister should look over her shoulder also.

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:22pm
post #22 of 22

Oh no. How rude of her. You handled it much better than I would have. How can people be so nasty when you are trying to help her out and do her a favor. I just don't get it. Sounds to me like she is going to be a total bride-zilla. I would graciously bow out. If she's acting like that already just wait untill it gets closer. Good luck with your decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%