Cupcake Liners - So What's The Trick??

Decorating By JenWith Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 5:48am by kris_813

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 24

Every time I make cupcakes using the paper liners, I get wrinkled paper! I can't these stupid things to sit nicely in the muffin pan! icon_cry.gif

Normally I would not care but I'm doing cupcakes for a family event and I just want things "perfect". I know I can bake the cupcakes without the liners. I just like the finished look of the cupcakes with the liner.

Sooooo... all you cupcake bakers, what's the secret? How can I get my paper liners to sit and play nice in the muffin tin??

23 replies
phoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoohbear Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 24

Part of your problem may be that liners and tins are not regulated sizes. Sometimes you need to change brands of liners to fit your pans or if you are using an older pan get a new one the older ones are harder to find matches for.

JenWith Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 24

Good point but you would think Wilton liners and a Wilton muffin pan... they would fit perfectly!

phoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoohbear Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 24

Sorry I tried. Maybe a bump will help.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 24

I like using nut cups myself.

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 24

I used to have wrinkly liners too! They made me crazy. As others have mentioned, I found that there really was no "standard" muffin/cupcake pan and no "standard" liner. I finally found a good match with Nordic aluminum pans ($9.97 at WalMart) and Reynolds or Wilton liners. The bottom of the muffin pan is slightly narrower than others I have seen so my cupcake liners have a nice crisp edge on the bottom--and no more wrinkles. Does that make any sense? icon_lol.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 24

I have had problems with Wilton liners also. It drives me nuts! I quit using the Wilton ones.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

I like using nut cups myself.

me too, and people seem to like the formal finished look. add a ribbon bow and ta-da!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=370693

michaels and hobby lobby carry them for $1.69 -24 pk, party city $1.99. you can even bake them on a cookie sheet with no muffin tin at all as they stand on their own.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 24

Theres gotta be a better way somewhere! I cant stand when you go to put the batter in and it falls over or comes out with the laydle!
By the way, where is Scotland, CT at? From Ledyard myself.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 24

I have previously used Reynolds foil cupcake "liners", which do not require sitting in a cupcake tin. You can simply fill them while on a cookie sheet - they're strong enough to hold. (Just don't use them in a convention oven...that was my "Bright" idea...) They are two-ply, with the white paper liner next to the cake and a foil liner on the outside. You can keep the foil after they're done or peel it off to expose the white. Hope this helps!

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #11 of 24

I like the nut and party cups. I have a Calphalon muffin tin and seems to work with my "cheapo" liners.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #12 of 24

Here's another vote for the nut cups. They make clean up easy as they can stand on their own on a cookie sheet. Baking is not limited as well to the number of cups on your cupcake pan.

melysa Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:43am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Theres gotta be a better way somewhere! I cant stand when you go to put the batter in and it falls over or comes out with the laydle!
By the way, where is Scotland, CT at? From Ledyard myself.

try laydling the batter into a gallon zip lock bag with the tip snipped off and squeezing just enough out to fill one paper, hold the tip, move to the next one. its an extra step but it keeps the pan cleaner and your paper liners wont stick to the pan from the spills. you could also use a big squeeze bottle (they sell them inexpensively at walmart for ketchup and mustard...or the chocolate ones from wilton, although they are smaller).

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:55am
post #14 of 24

Megan,

Why do you say "don't use them in a convection oven?" I just got a new oven and don't want to do any harm here!

megankennedy Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:56am
post #15 of 24

um....melysa....you're a GENIUS!!!! wow! I'm so glad I learned this now, I have a cupcake wedding tasting for next week. Thanks alot

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:58am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

try laydling the batter into a gallon zip lock bag with the tip snipped off and squeezing just enough out to fill one paper, hold the tip, move to the next one. its an extra step but it keeps the pan cleaner and your paper liners wont stick to the pan from the spills. you could also use a big squeeze bottle (they sell them inexpensively at walmart for ketchup and mustard...or the chocolate ones from wilton, although they are smaller).

*Sigh.* I love Cake Central. thumbs_up.gif

megankennedy Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:01am
post #17 of 24

as for the convection oven issue, my convection is a tabletop version, smaller than a regular size stove oven, so the air blew the tops of my cupcakes lopsided before they got a chance to set up. it's possible that the "convention motion" in your oven might be better distributed if it's bigger, but I have had bad results from it, even w/regular cakes

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #18 of 24

for some reason wilton liners are a tiny bit bigger than other liners so mine usually come out wrinkled. i finally just bought grease free liners from smart and final and i love them

melysa Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:40am
post #19 of 24

megan and ceshell, glad it helped. i think it was something i saw in kraft magazine or something simple a long time ago. it helps and its nice to not have to wash out a pastry bag, just throw out the ziplock when youre done!

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:54am
post #20 of 24

I have tried the nut cup and after it baked, I had the hardest time trying to eat the cupcake. Everything just fell apart. What did I do wrong?

melysa Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:06am
post #21 of 24

kris, do you mean that you had a hard time peeling the wrapper away? if they sit overnight, the paper will soften and you can undo the pleats simply by pulling on one edge, or you can cut each edge slightly with a pair of scissors before baking so you can pull the wrapper apart.

if you meant the cake fell apart, perhaps it was a dry recipe or overbaked? not cooled enough?

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:10am
post #22 of 24

Melysa, love that idea for filling the cups! I've been looking for a way to fill cupcakes, especially since I will have a lot of them to make in November.

JenWith Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #23 of 24

Hi weirkd -
Scotland is a little town (more cows than people my DH tells me) right in between Norwich and Willimantic; about 11 miles in either direction from them. I didn't even know Scotland existed until I met my husband. It's really rural and quiet. Being a "city" girl, I had a hard time getting used to it but now I really enjoy it... unless I need gas for my car! We have no gas station... or stop lights for that matter.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will give the nut cups a try next time I'm making cupcakes.

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:48am
post #24 of 24

melysa, I have a hard time peeling the cup away from the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%