Using Wilton 3" Pans But Cakes Are Only Rising 1.5"

Decorating By jdogga Updated 17 Jul 2005 , 7:17pm by jdogga

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 12:04am
post #1 of 12

I bought the 3" wilton round pans...figured they would be the best as they are wilton! But the cakes are not rising as high as I think they should. I have to bake like 4 cakes to get it the height I want...I am filling the pans 1/2 -2/3 full. Also, I find the cakes shrink alot (diameter). I'm using wilton cake release and I'm wondering if that makes them shrink?? HELP!

11 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 12:17am
post #2 of 12

Hi. I use 3inch baking pans quite frequently. I usually fill mine a little more than 2/3 full. I also use wilton cake release. I cook on a little lower temp. because these cakes do take longer to cook. I think the next time you bake in one you should fill a little fuller and bake a little lower. I just experimented with mine until I got it right! Hope that helps you. icon_smile.gif
traci

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 12:37am
post #3 of 12

You may want to use a flower nail in the center of these too as they take longer to bake icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 1:41am
post #4 of 12

The problems you're having could be caused by a number of things. Try checking out Baking911's What Went Wrong Chart

jdogga Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 12

thanks...all the replies are great! Do I put the flower nail upsidedown and then just pull i it out when i flip the cake onto the board??

Andicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andicake Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 12

The only 3inch pan I have is an 8x3. I have never had a problem with it. I fill it about 3/4 full and bake at 325. I hope you get it figured out! they are great pans!
That is right about the flower nail, just make sure you grease it like you do the pan.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 12

I Love my 3 inch pans I fill them about 3/4 of the way full. I also use Bakers Joy.
I hope you get it figured out soon.
~Sweet~ =0)

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 12

do you guys put flower nail even in a 6" pan

Ashiana

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 12

I just bought my first 3" pan to try.... I will keep in mind to fill 3/4 full...the directions call for filling it only 1/2 way.....and to bake at 325 with the flower nail in it...
You ladies are the best source of cake knowledge..
Happy baking,
cakegal

Andicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andicake Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 12

I only use a flower nail in 10in or larger

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 12

When I use my 3 in wilton pans, I use a flower nail in 8in or larger. I also swear by baker's joy. I have never used anything else thumbs_up.gif .

jdogga Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 12

thanks you are all so helpful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%