Not Too Crazy About My Hobby Lobby This Morn W/coupon

Decorating By cakeatopia Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 8:15pm by Charb31

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 34

seems there is a grand opening around town so wilton stuff was 30off around town. i have the 50off coupon and get disp bags, a bit of coloring, m,powder, cupcake pan, star pan and some tips. i am a home baker so this is just for me. Will I ever use the 100 disp bags, who knows--100 for $10 could not pass it up--love the clean up and I had been buying 12 paks since I am kinda new to all this.

the cerk starts to ring up the items at only 30off and i told her< "Uh, must be some kind of mistake here". There was a sign about MakeNMold Candy stuff in the aisles, but really nothing else. She shows me the ad --not the one off the internet of paper mind you, but a "new" one.

I tell her, "I don't think so. That is not fair. That would negate the entire 50off coupon. And she says, "Well this is a grand opening ad". So I tell her, "Well, I think this is unfair and if all I get is 30off, then forget it". Sunddenly she says she will do an override and ring it up again.\\

Okay I stand corrected the ad in the paper says, "HOBBIES 30off" All Winton Make & Mold Cake, Cookie,& Candy making Supplies". Still. I want to use my coupons. The clerk said TONS of people were in this morning so I think they should take the coupon again. I WILL contact corporate if I have any problem tomarrow.

33 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 34

That doesn't seems fair, because Hobby Lobby corporate ads should supercede any individual store ad. The bigest discount should be given, not the smallest.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 34

Weird I went to HL this morning...Got there at 9 o'clock..nobody was there (customers) went and filled my cart up...went to the counter...the clerk says "I have never seen a 50% off everything Wilton coupon before" and just stood there looking at me...I said well here it is..I got it off the HL site. She was very rude. I think I might be taking my business elsewhere..even though I think HL is cheaper then Michaels....I might try there...I went to Michaels and they had way more stuff..but WAY more expensive...Whats up with that??? Anyway I think that is weird that I had trouble with the coupon to.
Hmmm makes ya wanna go hmmmmmmmm

StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 34

wgoat5, sounds like she was just new and someone forgot to train her about the coupons. That happened to me one time when I presented the cashier with a 40% off coupon. She stood there and read all the fine print and said, "Well, no one ever told me about these". I think that's really all it was, although, that doesn't excuse her from being rude. I'm so sorry you had to deal with someone like that when I'm sure you were on cloud 9 with all your new goodies in your buggy. I know I am when I shop with my 50% off coupon. Hopefully, the rest of your day went well.

wgoat5 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 34

Oh I got over it..you really can't let someone like that ruin the WHOLE day..maybe just a smidgen of one LOL

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:25am
post #6 of 34

That sounds exactly like our Micheal's store. It's ALWAYS a gong show when you go in there. One till open for 500 people, they make it extra difficult to return/exchange anything and lord help you if you forget your coupon at home because they will never swipe theirs for you. What do you do when they're the only ones with the supplies though...

wgoat5 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:29am
post #7 of 34

Or you just drove 60 miles....I know I know..what do you do???

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:31am
post #8 of 34

I have never had a problem with 50 off coupons at HL, in fact mine have never needed the coupon, they ring it up automatically, they really know their stuff. HL actually runs this sale several times a year, too, it's where I buy most of my cake decorating stuff.

Now, Michael's not swiping their coupon is a new thing. Mine used to always swipe theirs for me, and now, I have to have it. Used to be they would give it back to me to use again, too, but not anymore. If I wanna buy three items for 40 off, I gotta have three coupons. But if I'm saving more than the dollar fifty for the paper, it's worth it!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:42am
post #9 of 34

JulieB,

You can sign up for the Hobby Lobby coupons to be delivered to your e-mailbox.

Then you can print out as many coupons as you want. At our HL, you can use one coupon per visit..... (even if you visit more than once a day - each store is different).

HTH

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:43am
post #10 of 34

ahah! we have a branch of Michaels here, called Village Crafts, that allows you 50% off ONE item, that item cannot be a sale item either. That usually runs 2 days unless a special is happening, then they have the 40% off coupon, same thing, ONE item, and not on sale! And...one coupon per customer per day...so.....

Heaven forbid I should take it to the Michaels store in Olympia and try to use it there...no, we don't accept Village Crafts coupons here....WHAT???

mabailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabailey Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingForJesus

wgoat5, sounds like she was just new and someone forgot to train her about the coupons. That happened to me one time when I presented the cashier with a 40% off coupon. She stood there and read all the fine print and said, "Well, no one ever told me about these". I think that's really all it was, although, that doesn't excuse her from being rude. I'm so sorry you had to deal with someone like that when I'm sure you were on cloud 9 with all your new goodies in your buggy. I know I am when I shop with my 50% off coupon. Hopefully, the rest of your day went well.

Howdy Neighbor...do you ever go to the Maryville Hobby Lobby? I never have a problem with my coupon there. Sometimes they might look oddly at it but it all gets straightened out in the longrun. Happy Shopping! >^.,.^<

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:46am
post #12 of 34

Michaels corporate really got down on the stores for swiping their own coupons-a big no-no! They are supposed to offer a 1 time exception, they log your name, reason you didn't have the coupon and the date. One store by me actually track these, luckily the one closer doesn't give a darn...so guess who gets ALL my business?

In fact Michaels had an add for 50% off all fall pre-made silk arrangements. Well I commented to the manager that I thought this one that I liked looked like fall-darker colors, she agreed and said she would take 50% off any arrangement I bought. I bought 2! I also bought a Wilton cake carrier, 16" bag and some foamy crafts for my daughter. I only went in to buy the 16" bag. Good customer service=lots of my hard earned money! Michaels corporate please take note!

mthiberge Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #13 of 34

I know!!!!! When our Micheal's first opened they would "share" their coupons...but NOT ANYMORE!! If you forgot it at home, TOO BAD!!! It makes me very angry because I spend TONS of money in that store (Thanks to my mother who passed down the "crafty" jean...love her) Plus aren't most coupons "no purchase necessary"??? Don't they have to share their in store coupons?? What if I can't possibly get the local newspaper??? I would NEVER have a coupon... Plus the store manager is a man, and a COMPLETE KNOB!! (not saying that all men are knobs, but this guy truly is!!) I was in there one day and there was a problem with the debit machine, they rang it through TWICE, CHARGED ME DOUBLE!!! and wouldn't refund me 1/2 back bacause the printer machine didn't give HIM (the manager man) a receipt. He said if I was charged twice to bring in my BANK STATEMENT!?!?!? and he would then refund me! I was FURIOUS, plus I had DH's debit card and shouldn't have even been inside that store...so I went to the bank and asked the teller if she could check and see if I had been charger twice or not...turns out I wasn't charged AT ALL!! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! Needless to say I didn't rush back and tell HIM he didn't charge me for my new cake pans....@-hole

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:00am
post #14 of 34

The Michael's where I shop has ALWAYS been a pain in the rumpus. I have shopped there for about five years. They have NEVER allowed more than one item with the 40% off coupon. That item has to be full price. I had lost my coupon & I didn't realize it until I was checking out. I asked if the cashier could swipe their coupon. She snorted at me. I said "Fine, heafer. Now you get to put up a buggy full of stuff. Have fun." I figured if she ws going to snort like a cow,well...

mthiberge Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:03am
post #15 of 34

Tooo funny!! I would have done the same thing dl5crew

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:17am
post #16 of 34

The cashier at our HL this morning looked just about as puzzled when she saw my coupon as I would if I had to read Chinese!!!! But as soon as she read it, she said OK - no problem at all. All their cashiers seem to do the same thing. Michael's made me sign the log last week when I forgot my coupon - bet they won't let me do it again! They really should be a bit more considerate of those of us who shop there ALL the time and who have even taken classes there. Tomorrow I plan to hit our other HL with the other coupon I printed - we'll see what happens. PAT

Class Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Class Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:52am
post #17 of 34

Well glad to hear everyone's horror stories micheals' only 1 in the houston area will honor the wilton ad and take 50% of all item that have the wilton name on it. Great Manager! So I only go to HL for their cookie cutters and candy molds because they have better selection. Juat call around. Oh and Walmart will honor any competitor ad or coupon! and that is the cheapest place to get you wilton books and at 50% you can get a wilton book for less that $6! That's savings! have a great evening, and happy decorating. icon_smile.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:05am
post #18 of 34

Does Walmart take the internet coupon, though, I wonder? I will try my HL again in the morn. I don't NEED much--got tons last time around but it sure would be nice to pock a few more things so if I don't use them a bunch it is no biggy.

Makes you wonder how much these pan really cost since they can sell them for 1/2 off. hmmmmmmmm

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:25am
post #19 of 34

At the HL which is about an hour away, took a 50% off coupon from me on their last sale. It was for 1 item only per day. So I printed 2 coupons- one for me and one for my DH. We both passed through the check out line with my items. The clerk saw me put all the things on the counter and refused to take my credit card on the second coupon. She said "you're not paying for this with the same credit card, huh?". So I smiled and said no. Then I whipped out my check book. Arghh. Is it a requirement that they have to be ugly?

alise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alise Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:30am
post #20 of 34

Sorry about all the trouble you had with HL cashiers. I work at HL and well its not open yet but right now we are working 12 hr days and if the cashier that helped you was working like this well then I would think maybe she is really tired and/or maybe not trained well, however they make us study the ad so they should now, if they didn't study the ad and are rude then they won't be at HL for much longer. They don't stand for that crap and if I where the manager she would of been in trouble!

Anyway I will not ever step one foot in micheals again! I am in love with HL!

BearLuvsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:45am
post #21 of 34

I took my coupon to HL today and they were so rude because I thought you could use it for as many items as you wanted because it did not specify and some of the people on here said that it was for everything. So I get there and pick out some really good stuff and the horrible witch at the counter was so rude. So is the coupon for one thing or for as many as you want???

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:58am
post #22 of 34

It's for as many items as you want to purchase. I don't know where the confusion is coming from on this at the stores.
The cashier at my HL asked "Which item do you want to use it on?".
I told her "All of them."
"You can only use it on 1 item."
"No, it's good for anything Wilton. Nowhere on that coupon does it state it can only be used on 1 item."
"I know that, but that's what it means."
"No, it doesn't mean that."

She finally asks another cashier who informs her that I was correct. It can be used on as many items as I want to purchase. She did apologize for not knowing it was for all items.

wgoat5 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:00am
post #23 of 34

as many as you want...I used mine today

hbuckner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbuckner Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:03am
post #24 of 34

I used mine today at Hobby Lobby and got alot more than 1 item. I got a cake stand, Bags, Cake Release, Pans, Tips, Cake Leveler, and I'm not sure what else. LOL! I was afraid once I got up to the register I would have a problem, but I didn't. The cashier that rang me up is ALWAYS there though so I think she probably knows her stuff. And she was actually training a new cashier and she showed her the coupon and told her what it was and that there was a new one every week. I think I'm actually going to go back and get more stuff later this week. I spent $60 today but I got ALOT of stuff. But I'm thinking about going and stocking up on some colors and stuff for the upcoming holidays.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:31am
post #25 of 34

I can't believe it. I got messed over to. I didn't realize it till I was reading this. I decided to double check my reciept. They only gave 50% off a coloring. I also had 2 cake boxes and color flow mix. No discount. I had asked for a rain check for some pans they were out of. So I was in a hurry and didn't look at it either and she did it wrong also. Didn't put the 50% on the rain check. I will be going back tomorrow to get my money back and to complain. But the girl was new. But they should inform them of the coupons and have it posted at each cash register. I will suggest that when I talk to our manager tomorrow.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:59am
post #26 of 34

It is DEFINITELY for 50% off of everything Wilton. I had issues last time around so I went to the HL website, clicked on the contact link and sent an email to them. They responded pretty quickly and verified that it could absolutely be used for multiple items. Send an email to corporate whenever you read this, then print their response and bring it back to the stores that are giving you trouble. You should absolutely NOT be getting grief for this! If you don't have an email to show them, ask for the manager and then if the manager doesn't know well enough, have them contact corporate but don't let them make you feel like you're trying to pull something over on them. That's so not right.

BearLuvsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearLuvsCakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #27 of 34

I went to a different HL today and I had no problems getting my items this time. I asked the lady in that department before I even got started picking up things and took it to the front and had no problems. I am so excited. I got $140 worth of stuff for only 70 bucks!!!!! A few new cake pans, the 55 piece tip set, silicone baking cups, fondant cutters, cake sparkes, you name it!! I'm so excited!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #28 of 34

The first time I used the 50% off coupon at HL (a few months ago), the cashier questioned it and had to ask around to confirm that I was telling the truth. Apparently they have a fast learning curve, because I've never had a problem since. (And I was at their door as soon as I dropped the kiddies off at pre-k Monday.)

Now, about Michael's not swiping their coupons, I was a book keeper there when the big squeeze came down on the coupons. There were stores grossly misusing the coupons. We (the book keepers at each store) had to count each and every coupon turned in by each cashier and compare it to a printed report of how many coupon discounts the cashier rang on her register. It was horribly time-consuming, and the poor cashiers got written up if their numbers were off. Give those poor cashiers some slack, they're just trying to do their job without getting in trouble. I haven't worked there in quite a while, so I don't know if it's the same now, but that's how it was when I left.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeatopia

Will I ever use the 100 disp bags, who knows--100 for $10 could not pass it up--love the clean up and I had been buying 12 paks since I am kinda new to all this.

Faster than you know it!! icon_smile.gif It is cheaper to buy the 100pkg over several of the 12pkg ones. If you added it up you would spend less on the 100pkg. Yes it is more money at once, but better in the long run. I'm always running out of bags, and I get the 100 box.

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:31am
post #30 of 34

I went Monday am as soon as I could and felt soooo greedy!!! (but very excited). The clerks at our HL are so nice. She said " good time to get all you can". I told her I felt greedy but she said I didn't spend near as much as some do. I was bragging all afternoon. icon_biggrin.gif
Sorry for all the troubles everyone has with that coupon but it is worth a little roadblock for HALF OFF EVERYTHING WILTON icon_lol.gifusaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%