Questions About A Castle Cake

Decorating By Katie9812 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 1:48am by Katie9812

Katie9812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie9812 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 5

I've attached a cake that I was asked to make for a 1st birthday (it's from pinkcakebox.com). I'm changing it quite a bit and the mother of the child wants the blue turrets to be gold.
As of right now I have the Wilton Elegant Shimmer Dust in gold but I've tried brushing it on fondant with water and it doesn't really shimmer...it just looks dull...is there a way to use this dust so it looks shimmery?! or is this a bad product to begin with...here's the link in case you are unsure as to what it is...

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=BA17880D-802D-F658-09B3D5CAB5B536C6&fid=BA17882C-802D-F658-0883EA50A1EA9904

Also...what kind of wire do you use on cakes to hold up flags, etc...I've seen many cakes with wire coming out of the top but I'm unsure as to whether it's a specific type of wire?! foodsafe...etc...?!?!

Any other suggestions for this cake would be GREATLY appreciated as well...I'm still a beginner and learning a lot...but feeling very ambitious on this one...I'll post pictures when I finish...not due till September 30th...
LL

4 replies
Katie9812 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 5

anyone??? no ideas???

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #3 of 5

I mix my luster dusts with confectioner's glaze.

As for wires, I buy mine in the cake decorating store. However they still shouldn't go straight into the cake - they need to go into a posy pick first.

Good luck.

It's 2.45AM here and I'm just putting the finishing touches to a castle cake. I'll post pics tomorrow

Suzanne

phoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoohbear Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #4 of 5

Great Cake!!! techniquly (sorry cant sp tonight icon_redface.gif ) no wires are food safe. Most people just use wire from the floral dept for the flags. If the roofs of the turrets are ment to be eaten then I would dip the wire in thinned down royal icing first to seal it or you can also use uncooked spagittie if the flags are lite. If you are looking for any comments on what to change I think it is hard to find any. If any thing I guess it would be to next time change the top tier to a round cake I think. Again I think it came out great and I hope she really feels like a princess.

Katie9812 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the help...phoohbear I didn't make this cake...this is from pinkcakebox.com...it was given to me as a template as to what the mom wants for the cake...

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%