Is This Cake Too Boring...need Ideas

Decorating By Derby Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 3:02am by ChristaPaloma

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:54am
post #1 of 14

Help! I am satisfied with this cake...to a point. It's an edible image of a Album Cover of KISS. The birthday boy is turning 35 this year. I don't want to make it too cluttered, since it does seem like it does go well with the black and white photo. The customer is a close friend of mine who said "I trust you." ARGH! The pressure!

Questions:
Does it need anything else? Should I write "Happy Birthday" anywhere on it?
LL

13 replies
shortcake2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake2 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 2:58am
post #2 of 14

I think it looks great. Anything else would be distracting I think.

Pam_Hackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam_Hackett Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:02am
post #3 of 14

I think the cake looks good. If you are wanting to add anything, you might outline the edge of the cover in a small white bead border, to dress it up a little more.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #4 of 14

I agree. I think it looks great just the way it is. My DH says "Rock on. Leave it." He is amazed by the things we all can do with cakes!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:05am
post #5 of 14

I agree, it looks great as it is. If you need to put a message, maybe it could go on the side. I've started putting some cakes on a larger board so that a message could be put on the board rather than the cake.

My DS is a Kiss fan, he would love your cake.
Janice

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:08am
post #6 of 14

How about the Bands name and the Title for this album?

KISS

Dressed to Kill

HTH
Gloria I

Andrea71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea71 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:13am
post #7 of 14

agreed, it does look awesom! if you want to write something on the cake i would rather do it on a plack made out of gumpaste and write on what ever you think necessary, and lean it to the front of the cake, but i would not put anything else on the cake

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:38am
post #8 of 14

I think it looks great the way it is

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #9 of 14

Looks great!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:43am
post #10 of 14

It does look great! If you want to add something, maybe outiling the KISS in a color, say red, then doing a bead border around the picture in the same color. That might give it a little punch w/o making it look like too much.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:45am
post #11 of 14

You could always do a "comicstrip bubble" over Gene Simmons.....like Gene is saying "happy b-day ....."
Then perhaps a "thought bubble" over Ace, "can't believe he's THAT old!"

Then maybe a thought bubble over Paul, "Where AM I??" or "How'd I get on this cake??"

Or something. Just an idea. It may not fit really well....you would probably need to make it from gumpaste too.... Kiss would do something like that...they are goofy folks...esp. Gene.

I don't know....maybe a dumb idea. It would depend on the customer I guess.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #12 of 14

Thanks y'all for all of the GREAT replies! I'm still SOOOOO insecure about my cakes that I just go crazy over each one. I don't want to let anyone down.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:55am
post #13 of 14

I'm working on a KISS cake this week too! If you wanted to add some color, what about some flames around the image? KISS' website is covered in flames and their shows are big on pyrotechnics. Maybe you could pipe them? I'm doing mine by marbling red, orange and yellow fondant and then cutting out flame shapes. Good luck!

Another option might be to put some silver dragees around the border, to evoke the feeling of a spiked collar or studded leather.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:02am
post #14 of 14

It looks super, but if you are really wanting to add a bit of color, I would add the bead border someone suggested but in the blue moonlight (?) color in the photo...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%